NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

@ Katielea

I applied to Montana also and I got that email last week about notifying us until today too.  I have not heard a peep, but I really don't expect to get into Montana anyways so I'm not too worried.  But it still bugs that schools can't stand by their word(s). 

Edited by twinguy7

Apparently some people have been accepted to Idaho State within the last few days. I haven't heard anything from them yet and I'm freaking out! Has anyone gotten a decline from them? I feel like I heard that you generally get notified right away if you get accepted or declined but if you don't hear anything you're probably on the waitlist. So I'm hoping for that! Now that some people have heard from them I am really starting to feel anxious. 

I've noticed that the Idaho acceptances are for the Meridian campus. So if you opted for Pocatello or Online then I don't think they've sent any news out for those options.

I feel like I could scream. I need a plan for this upcoming year and need to know. I am beyond stressed.

I feel the same way :( It's extremely difficult not knowing whether or not I need to pack up and move in a couple of months. I've told as many people as I could think of who would be affected by me moving that I'm incredibly sorry that grad schools string applicants along on wait lists for a ridiculous amount of time, making it so that they cannot tell their landlords, bosses, volunteer directors, etc. whether or not they'll leave in two months or stick around for another year. I'm also really not looking forward to possibly telling the professors who wrote my letters of recommendations that, "hey, sorry I wasted your time, I didn't get accepted anywhere, and I'll probably bug you again about this next year too!" What an embarrassing conversation that will be. It's also extremely frustrating when I'm struggling for money right now, knowing that I could have an extra thousand dollars or so lying around if I hadn't applied this year. 

But hopefully we can avoid all of these frustrating things all together and just get accepted to a gosh darn school, right?!?! :D 

I've noticed that the Idaho acceptances are for the Meridian campus. So if you opted for Pocatello or Online then I don't think they've sent any news out for those options.

Good to know. I did apply to Meridian but it was my second choice. My first choice is online. 

I feel the same way :( It's extremely difficult not knowing whether or not I need to pack up and move in a couple of months. I've told as many people as I could think of who would be affected by me moving that I'm incredibly sorry that grad schools string applicants along on wait lists for a ridiculous amount of time, making it so that they cannot tell their landlords, bosses, volunteer directors, etc. whether or not they'll leave in two months or stick around for another year. I'm also really not looking forward to possibly telling the professors who wrote my letters of recommendations that, "hey, sorry I wasted your time, I didn't get accepted anywhere, and I'll probably bug you again about this next year too!" What an embarrassing conversation that will be. It's also extremely frustrating when I'm struggling for money right now, knowing that I could have an extra thousand dollars or so lying around if I hadn't applied this year.

But hopefully we can avoid all of these frustrating things all together and just get accepted to a gosh darn school, right?!?! :D

Amen!!!!!

I get it. It's very difficult to deal with the unknown. That's the way life is, though. Sitting around fretting and worrying about the "what-if's" isn't going to get you anywhere. I applied to graduate school for fall 2013 last year, was wait listed at a number of schools and ended up not getting in...and you know what...I survived! Getting rejected has forced me to think outside the box and find ways to learn about myself. It has made me more determined this year to get into a school. I am working in a related field and have so much more to offer a school now than I did after just graduating college. 

It's not that important that you go around apologizing to people about the wait period or that you haven't gotten accepted anywhere yet. I am sure your volunteer director would be pleased to have you back another year. If your boss is a professional, he or she will understand that things don't always turn out the way we plan. Talk to your landlord, explain your situation and see if you can switch your lease to month-month; that way if you do have to move, you won't have to be hassled by breaking a lease. My professors were happy to write me a letter of recommendation the second time around because they know how determined I am to get into a school. It's not about wasting their time, its about helping YOU achieve YOUR goals. My professors invited me to grab a coffee, reevaluate my letter of intent, my grades and my GRE scores to figure out where my application was lacking. They have been more than supportive over the past year. 

In terms of finances, there are a lot of people who are in the same boat as you. They applied and feel as though they wasted money as the rejections roll in. Applying to a graduate school and getting accepted is a gamble. There are no guaranteed acceptances. It is an investment in your future. If this year doesn't work out, reevaluate your plans, see where you can increase skills and find out how you can make that application investment better next year. 

“As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better.” - Steve Maraboli 

Now....go have a glass of wine and relax ;) 

Lol didn't mean to sound that whiny, just venting. I know I'll survive, it's just an insanely annoying process that is indeed full of disappointment, for now. :D Thanks for the input! 

Essentially, I'm waiting to know where I'm going in order to figure out what to do with my stuff in 6 weeks. I'm from Maine but my undergrad is in Arkansas. And I graduate in 6 weeks! (EEEEEK!) so when I leave, I don't know what I'm doing with my stuff. If I don't get in anywhere, I'll probably sell most of it, and my family/I will fly home after graduation. If I get in to a school in Michigan, then I will send it home with my boyfriend and his family. If I get taken off the waitlist at Loyola or University of Pittsburgh, my mom and I will make the 1,600 mile drive home and put the stuff in storage. I just need to know, because us flying means we need to buy six plane tickets that are already at least $200 each, or reserve the rental car for extra. I know it's a stupid thing to obsess over but that's what's on my mind----graduation!

I get it. It's very difficult to deal with the unknown. That's the way life is, though. Sitting around fretting and worrying about the "what-if's" isn't going to get you anywhere. I applied to graduate school for fall 2013 last year, was wait listed at a number of schools and ended up not getting in...and you know what...I survived! Getting rejected has forced me to think outside the box and find ways to learn about myself. It has made me more determined this year to get into a school. I am working in a related field and have so much more to offer a school now than I did after just graduating college. 

It's not that important that you go around apologizing to people about the wait period or that you haven't gotten accepted anywhere yet. I am sure your volunteer director would be pleased to have you back another year. If your boss is a professional, he or she will understand that things don't always turn out the way we plan. Talk to your landlord, explain your situation and see if you can switch your lease to month-month; that way if you do have to move, you won't have to be hassled by breaking a lease. My professors were happy to write me a letter of recommendation the second time around because they know how determined I am to get into a school. It's not about wasting their time, its about helping YOU achieve YOUR goals. My professors invited me to grab a coffee, reevaluate my letter of intent, my grades and my GRE scores to figure out where my application was lacking. They have been more than supportive over the past year. 

In terms of finances, there are a lot of people who are in the same boat as you. They applied and feel as though they wasted money as the rejections roll in. Applying to a graduate school and getting accepted is a gamble. There are no guaranteed acceptances. It is an investment in your future. If this year doesn't work out, reevaluate your plans, see where you can increase skills and find out how you can make that application investment better next year. 

“As I look back on my life, I realize that every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being re-directed to something better.” - Steve Maraboli 

Now....go have a glass of wine and relax ;)

I just want to say I LOVE this post.  I think more people should take a break from school instead of going straight through.  You learn so much about yourself just by going out into the "real world" and working for a year (or two!).  For me, working helped me figure out what I really want out of life - and in a job, what are my "must haves" and what things I'll be willing to compromise on.  I'm honestly very happy I didn't know about speech pathology earlier in my life, because I wouldn't trade my first five years working as a teacher for anything. :)

I definitely have thought about how I am going to write to the people who wrote me letters. I was hoping to send them a hand-written thank you note with information on where I will be attending next year and something like "couldn't have done it without your contribution and support!"...but it looks like that thank-you note is going to be a little less exciting...

With one rejection and one wait-list, it's crazy to think I'll have an answer from my other three schools by the end of this week (with the exception of Valdosta ST. not sure when I'll here from them).   I am so anxious knowing that I'll basically know where I'll be living next year by the end of this week.  

With one rejection and one wait-list, it's crazy to think I'll have an answer from my other three schools by the end of this week (with the exception of Valdosta ST. not sure when I'll here from them).   I am so anxious knowing that I'll basically know where I'll be living next year by the end of this week.  

I called Valdosta this past week and they said mid april to late april they would send out decisions.  

I'm still waiting on 4. But one of them said by tomorrow, another (supposedly) said within the next 3 weeks (yikes!) and then the other two I'm assuming are rejections because they've admitted people already.