History of Art MA/PHD 2010

ne4810

Also, what do you think of non-traditional titles? UCI's program is visual studies not art history and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

This is a really good question, and I'd be interested in hearing what people think about this too. I get the impression though, that it's not as much the title of your degree, but the content of your dissertation that determines where you "fit" in the job market. As a matter of fact, I had an MA prof. who did the PhD with a literature dept. but becuase his research was about lit. and art, and because he saw himself as an art historian, he got a job with an art history dept.

I would guess with visual studies, if a university would be looking for someone specially with a visual studies background, you'd get the advantage. For a traditional art history post, you'd be more than qualified as well. Just have to market yourself a bit differently I would imagine.

You think you are nervous? I'm scared. I'm going to also be applying for fall 2010, straight from undergrad. I want to go directly from undergrad into a PhD program, but against everyone with a masters, I have no idea what will happen. I have 2 internships at well-known-in-the-museum-world museums and a double major of studio art and art history, but the masters people, make me go oh noes! :shock:

Honestly, some advice (and I hate to be the negative nancy) for you is that I would definitely not bank on going straight to a PhD program...definitely look into some Master's programs as well. I made the same mistake applying for grad school 09...I thought I'd just apply to PhD programs and got rejected from all 5 schools I applied to (Northwestern, Brown, NYU, BU, and Bryn Mawr) I graduated summa cum laude, 4.0, 700 verbal GRE score, great references, curatorial internship at MOMA plus two other museum internships. I was pretty devastated obviously but after talking to a lot different people (including my grandfather's friend...a professor of history at Harvard) it had nothing to do with myself but the fact that I was just coming out of undergrad school. Most PhD Art History programs want to see either a Masters, publications, or other relevant experience in the art history world. Anyways, unless you are graduating from an Ivy League or are an older student...definitely apply to some MA programs as well. MA programs are more willing to accept students right out of undergrad school especially if you have the grades, writing skills and experience.

Needless to say I'm pretty nervous about applying for round 2 here in 2010. I'm definitely only applying to MA programs - my top choice is American U...I'm really into feminist methodology and Norma Broude & Mary Garrard are my heroes! I really hope I will get in...the first round of applying has really shaken my confidence.

What do you think of non-traditional titles? UCI's program is visual studies not art history and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm applying to UCI's visual studies program this year. I'm particularly interested in combining components of art history and media studies so it works for me. If you're only interested in Art History, you might want to look at more traditional programs. While you might be able to transition to other departments upon completion of the program, I would guess those in traditional programs may have an advantage. To learn more about the VS program, read Visual Culture by Margaret Dikovitskaya.

I also hate to be negative here, but I have to agree with 'obscurefemale' about getting an MA/Phd straight from school. I got my MA a few years ago straight out of undergrad, and was then rejected from my (granted much too limited) Phd list because even then I wasn't as experienced or published as other candidates (thats with an MA mind you). Some of my friends from grad school went straight through to their Phd (which has its own issues), and others have gotten some good experience teaching, publishing, working, and are now happily ensconced at their top choice Phd programs. There is always the possibility that an undergraduate student with excellent recs and internships might get in, as was mentioned previously its really a complicated matrix depending on the department, speciality, etc., but getting additional credentials only helps your chances! I know in the 2009 list there might have been some successful candidates straight from undergrad, but I think 'obscure's' experience is more typical. I hope not too discouraging!

Just to add another perspective about going straight through from undergrad-Ph.D.

This is not something that I did by the way, but simply the fact that you are applying as an undergrad has nothing to do with the decision process. Rather, adcoms for the most part will be looking at how ready you are and if you have the necessary experience and technical research skills to undergo a Ph.D. program. Some go and get 'em undergrads simply have what it takes, but me for example, and most people as well, are just not ready, and it's obvious from reading SOPs and writing samples. (as was told by someone much wiser than me...)

That's where the MA comes in handy as being in an MA program helps you refine your research. If you need more language experience (and it's usually more than one year of study abroad.., unless you have some other types of experiences that go beyond a major concentration) you need to get more experience living/working/studying seriously in that country you are interested in. At least this is true with the East Asia people. Obviously American art will be much different. And likewise, when I went to prospective student weekends this past April, most of the American/modern people were straight out of undergrad.

I have also heard that museum/gallery internships, unless research oriented, don't do much for one's application....unless of course you can get a good rec out of it.

So apply as an undergrad if you want, but you have to understand the amount of maturity that must come through your applications and to really understand what the term "research interests" means--and how to express it/them in a meaningful and creative way.

And definitely. Definitely. Have a plan B.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, everyone.

I'm starting to really get into crunch time for planning my application, and I've decided at this point, I should go for an MA instead of direct to PhD. This is because I'm straight from undergrad and I'm not exactly sure what my research interests are. I want to focus on modern art, but I don't fee like I can narrow it down yet. I mention this because I want to begin my statement of purpose soon, and some of the schools say to write research interests. How detailed should this be? What should I include? What if I find something to research thats even better at some other point? What do I do?!?!?!

Please help, for I am a wee little undergrad who is humbled by everyone else. :?

I mention this because I want to begin my statement of purpose soon, and some of the schools say to write research interests. How detailed should this be? What should I include? What if I find something to research thats even better at some other point? What do I do?!?!?!

Don't worry, by no means is your statement of purpose to be written in stone. If you find something more interesting later on, you are free to study whatever you like!

to address the question of what should you write about..hmm. that is a toughie. Looking back on the SOP i wrote for my MA it's a wonder I was accepted anywhere at all. In other words, it sucked. big time. Anyhow, my advice would be to somehow focus on something that you are interested in now. If it's modern art, talk about what aspect (one) of modern art you want to research. Talk about a paper that you were particularly proud of---bring up the questions that you raised, what conclusion you came to, and why that particular topic warrants further research. Then of course talk about why you fit that school, and what profs you want to work with. That should be a good start to work with. Good luck!

This is because I'm straight from undergrad and I'm not exactly sure what my research interests are. I want to focus on modern art, but I don't fee like I can narrow it down yet. I mention this because I want to begin my statement of purpose soon, and some of the schools say to write research interests. How detailed should this be? What should I include? What if I find something to research thats even better at some other point?

When I applied for my MA, I believe I submitted papers and statements that reflected my interest in the Northern Renaissance. I completly changed my direction (America 20th century), thats an extreme case, but rest assured you can change once you're there! Just a little encouragement! :D

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for awhile but now that I'm applying to PhD programs I decided to jump in as well. :) My concentration is contemporary Asian/Asian American art and I am currently doing my MA degree in art history.

I have a pretty dumb question here.. While searching for schools, I can't tell the difference between the NYU art history dept. and their IFA art history PhD programs. Why do they have different websites and different lists of faculty members? Also, what are your thoughts on their PhD program on Media, Culture, and Communication?

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for awhile but now that I'm applying to PhD programs I decided to jump in as well. :) My concentration is contemporary Asian/Asian American art and I am currently doing my MA degree in art history.

I have a pretty dumb question here.. While searching for schools, I can't tell the difference between the NYU art history dept. and their IFA art history PhD programs. Why do they have different websites and different lists of faculty members? Also, what are your thoughts on their PhD program on Media, Culture, and Communication?

The MA/PhD programs in Art History at NYU are all through IFA -- they have different faculty because the IFA faculty only teach grad students, no undergrads.

The separate NYU dep't of Art History is the undergrad art history program and the graduate programs in Museum Studies, Visual Culture, Performance Studies, etc -- art history related, but not "MA/PhD Art History"

Hopefully that made sense.

The MA/PhD programs in Art History at NYU are all through IFA -- they have different faculty because the IFA faculty only teach grad students, no undergrads.

The separate NYU dep't of Art History is the undergrad art history program and the graduate programs in Museum Studies, Visual Culture, Performance Studies, etc -- art history related, but not "MA/PhD Art History"

Hopefully that made sense.

Thank you georgica1! That helped a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what I'd call Tier 1/2/3 - I mean, most people think Ivy League is all Tier 1 but I found Cornell's Art History program to be the weakest of the bunch and a program like NYU IFA to be MUCH better than it.

I think the most competitive programs are in Tier 1, you know the ones that everyone really really wants and some think that are just a bit too far out of reach. Here are some of my ideas; I like the idea of a list.

Tier 1: Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UM Ann Arbor, Upenn, NYU,

Tier 2: Northwestern, John Hopkins, UCLA, UChicago, Williams, SUNY,

Tier 3: Most state schools that offer a Phd (not if they only offer masters), Penn State, Duke, UMD, Georgetown, UW, Texas schools, ...

Ones I'm not familiar with at all (mostly because they don't have strong professors in my region) Tufts, Rutgers, Courtrauld (does it have a great reputation?- I think so)

Hi! Where can I find a definitive list of rankings for graduate art history programs? Could someone tell me what 'tier' Boston U is for American art? Is BU a respected school?

Hi folks,

First, I applaud those of you who've been on top of this since the spring. I definitely need some guidance. First of all, I'm interested in 20th-century American and Latin American art. For the sake of differentiating myself (and because I have a BA in Spanish), I'm focusing most of my applications on modern art in Latin America. But I'm having a really tough time determining the best programs in the field, let alone the foremost scholars. I would also prefer a terminal MA program, but am applying to some PhD programs as well. So far, my list consists of Columbia, Texas, Maryland, Berkeley, Williams, George Mason (any good?) and possibly Yale, UCLA and New Mexico. Can anyone point me to other departments that might fit my interests?

I'm also wondering what GRE scores I should be shooting for. I'm taking it for the first time next week, and I've been getting mid 600s for both Q and V. I'm guessing Verbal needs to be up around 700? And while I'm at it, I only took five art history courses in college (plus two studio art and a curatorial internship at a small but well-known museum). For that reason, I have no art history term papers long enough to fit most of the writing sample requirements. Better to send in a 7-page paper on a period I'm not that interested or a 5-page paper that's more relevant? (Or a selection from my linguistics thesis, written in Spanish...?)

Thanks in advance.

Hello all!

I'm new here, and if possible I was hoping that I could get some advice. I am applying to Master's only programs, as my undergrad is a B.A. in "Art" I have about 21 Art History credits and a lot of studio. The schools to which I am about to apply are:

Washington University in St. Louis

Hunter College

Williams College

Rutgers

University of Connecticut

I would like to know if I am being too ambitious. In my list, I haven't yet thought of safety schools. Are there any that would be more likely to accept me? Eek! I am so stressed. My area of interest is Ancient Roman & Ancient Iberian which I realize is impossible to find. For now, I would just like to pursue a Master's to "bridge the gap"...

My art history professor who has been advising me seems to think that my list is fairly possible, but I am not so sure. I suppose it is natural to worry. Any thoughts? Please let me know...

Thank you!!

Sarah

I don't think SUNY buffalo required a GRE score.

The only schools I know of where you don't need a GRE are schools abroad. I know the programs in London at the Courtauld, Christies Education and other schools don't require them.

Hello, everyone.

I was wondering if anyone knows any universities that do not require GREs (or accept low scores).

Thank you.

If I remember correctly, I think GRE scores are optional for the University of Illinois Urbana for the art history program, but I think that was the only one I ran across!

I would also prefer a terminal MA program, but am applying to some PhD programs as well. So far, my list consists of Columbia, Texas, Maryland, Berkeley, Williams, George Mason (any good?) and possibly Yale, UCLA and New Mexico. Can anyone point me to other departments that might fit my interests?

I'm finishing up my MA at George Mason this year, and I definitely recommend it. The grad program is pretty new, and there are some kinks, but the professors are really fantastic and have made my MA experience a phenomenal one. The Latin American modernist, Professor Greet, is working with me on my MA thesis. She is everything you could want in an advisor/professor: incredibly smart, approachable and nice and very interested in helping her students. She's also quickly becoming a well-known scholar in the field.

Hope that helps!

Thought I would introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while, and I think I may have posted a thing or two last year. I'm finishing up an MA program this year in art history and hoping to move on to a Ph.D. I'm interested in specializing in pre-WWI European protoabstract art, most likely in France though I'm potentially open to dabbling with German and Italian artists as well. I've got 7 schools on my list, and I'm getting there with the application process--have my LORs lined up, GRE scores still good from my pre-MA test, my transcripts (which are multitudinous) are ready to send and I have a decent SOP.

My next big hurdle is visiting and meeting people, which I'd planned to do for 4 or 5 schools. I've been to one already, and it was disappointing. I have two more visits lined up for the first week in November, and need to get off my butt and email the other one or two programs to set up something soon as well. I'm also in the midst of picking and editing a writing sample, which is proving harder than I'd thought.

I wish good luck to everyone throughout this process. It can be fun and scary all at once. I hope a lot of people (including me!) make it into stellar programs this application cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

My area of interest is Ancient Roman & Ancient Iberian which I realize is impossible to find. For now, I would just like to pursue a Master's to "bridge the gap"...

Have you looked at the U. Virginia? They're really well known for for Ancient Roman/Greek etc...you should check it out!

What places have terminal MA degrees in art history?

Someone told me this is better than a regular MA degree, because you are at the highest level the school offers and are not competing against the PhD students.

Check out UC Davis. Program is a terminal MA and might be worth looking into for someone interested in modern/museum studies...