What's your personality? Introverted? Extroverted? Both? - All hopefuls and practising SLP/AuD's welcome

Are you an extrovert or an introvert?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What is your personality type?

I couldn't find a thread about the topic but I'm really curious about the personality make-up of folks applying or already immersing themselves in the study and practice of SLP or audiology.

I have friends who are nurses, doctors and I noticed there their personalities range from the gregarious types to the least talkative and others who didn't talk a lot but still could maintain suitable conversations or "small-talk."  I would consider myself falling into the latter. 

I took an official Myers-Biggs Type Indicator a few years ago along with some other batteries when I was deciding on a career. I found out I was an INFJ (introverted, intuitive, feeling, judgement). The therapies were recommended as potential fields for me. I knew this field was just right. I'm enjoying my courses and I like there is a time to deal with people and a time to be by yourself to finish paperwork.

I'm not shy, or lack assertiveness but I feel comfortable with myself when dealing with people. I do enjoy working in a 1:1 setting, manging groups or making presentations. When I'm at a party, it takes me a little longer to acclimitize to people. You won't find me cracking jokes but once I join, I can blend in without attracting attention. There are times when I have no choice but to "act" social but deep down, I know after finishing dealing with people, I will need to "re-fuel."

Anyone who is an introvert and has been accepted to graduate school?  Are there people here who are introverted and are faring well in grad school? Did supervisors give you a hard-time in clinic?

Do you think audiology/SLP fits your personality? (BTW, before I posted this, I realized I actually wrote "Do you feel audiology/SLP fits your persoanlity lol so changed it :rolleyes:)

Please post your personality type.

By the way, if you're interested in learning more about the Myser-Biggs personality types, you can read them here:

https://www.personalitypage.com/high-level.html

If you want to find out your personality type, here's a fast quiz: 

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Edited by Patont

I, personally, don't feel that being an introvert or extrovert makes you more suited to SLP.  I'm an extremely introverted person and yet was a successful teacher for many years.  In fact, I LOVED being in front of my students and I had a great relationship with them.  Other introverts might not like such a situation.  You just need to know yourself and what kind of job you are comfortable in.  

A side note - a great read for all of us introverts is Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.  This text reminded me that it is OKAY to be introverted, which I feel is very easy to forget in our extrovert-lauding society.

Edited by sayjo

Back in high school, I was an INFJ. In college I took that test again and I was an ENFP, but it showed that my scores were on the fence for nearly everything, though, so tomorrow I might be an ISTJ, who knows... Specifically with the I/E, I think it depends on the situation. I don't enjoy humongous groups of people (like at concerts, or at the annual local fair, etc.). I do enjoy small to large(ish) groups of people, though, and I also enjoy one-on-one time. Sometimes I want to be out dancing and having fun with friends on a Friday night, other times I'm content to read a book with my cat. :P

But we seem to have an INFJ theme going on so far. :P Three of the five of us so far have mentioned being an INFJ (at least at some point)!

Edited by Papaya91

I got INTJ (although I only received a T instead of an F by a 1% difference). Very interesting to see so many with an introverted personality! 

Edited by smrv

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Why are grad students obsessed with this test? This is the third thread I've seen on this in the past few months. 

Why are grad students obsessed with this test? This is the third thread I've seen on this in the past few months. 

I think it's just a popular test in general.  I found a Harry Potter correlation for the different types on Facebook the other day...

we're obsessed with self-labeling and we like the idea that everyone can be neatly placed in a box with a sticker in front of it.   :D

Edited by spunky

INFJ here! There was one point where I questioned whether SLP was the right profession for me because of my introversion, but over time I started to realize that introverts have a unique set of strengths that can actually benefit their clients and coworkers. Even though I am an introvert, I think this field suits me perfectly.

I took the StrengthsQuest personality test a few years ago and my strengths were found to be the following: empathy, relator (forming deep relationships), restorative (problem-solving), individualization (observing others' strengths), and achiever. My strengths definitely complement a career in SLP. You can read about the traits and take the test here

Also, I think most online forums tend to attract introverts, so that might explain why the results show a greater number of introverts here, lol. 

These posts from another SLP community I follow may be helpful because they have a lot of responses from SLPs working in the field: one, two, three

It's not just grad students, haha. A lot of schools push high schoolers to take it as part of career advising/college advising. And a lot of psychology classes do it. One of my jobs even required me to take it - not to discriminate or anything, but to try to show us what our strengths and weaknesses were. So I don't think it's just grad students. Everybody and their grandmother has probably taken it at some point. :P

Introverted! INFJ

Another INFJ here!

I got INTJ (although I only received a T instead of an F by a 1% difference). Very interesting to see so many with an introverted personality! 

It's great to see so many going into this field! I do tend to use my intuition a LOT when I make decisions and that's where I need to check myself and look at all options. I think it's why I get very obsessive double checking my answers in conceptual multiple choice exams. What should have taken 2 steps to solve ends up becoming 4 or 5 :rolleyes:

Back in high school, I was an INFJ. In college I took that test again and I was an ENFP, but it showed that my scores were on the fence for nearly everything, though, so tomorrow I might be an ISTJ, who knows... Specifically with the I/E, I think it depends on the situation. I don't enjoy humongous groups of people (like at concerts, or at the annual local fair, etc.). I do enjoy small to large(ish) groups of people, though, and I also enjoy one-on-one time. Sometimes I want to be out dancing and having fun with friends on a Friday night, other times I'm content to read a book with my cat. :P

But we seem to have an INFJ theme going on so far. :P Three of the five of us so far have mentioned being an INFJ (at least at some point)!

You're so lucky to have taken it high school. Mine didn't have enough money and the only one we were administered was the Jackson for jobs and I had unrealistic high-hopes of becoming a surgeon so I got ahead of myself lol

What I liked about the MBTI is helped me understand myself a little better . I'm comfortable with large groups and I've gotten better on how to adapt in certain situations. If it were at a local fair, I know I'll be able to get some down time like rides or watching patrons or eating. I consider dancing to be very independent too. My friends will be talking and dancing at the same time, but I prefer to just the flow with the music :D.

I, personally, don't feel that being an introvert or extrovert makes you more suited to SLP.  I'm an extremely introverted person and yet was a successful teacher for many years.  In fact, I LOVED being in front of my students and I had a great relationship with them.  Other introverts might not like such a situation.  You just need to know yourself and what kind of job you are comfortable in.  

A side note - a great read for all of us introverts is Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.  This text reminded me that it is OKAY to be introverted, which I feel is very easy to forget in our extrovert-lauding society.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I agree that I and E both have something to offer in the field. The most important is being able to reach out to clients and if you are confident about your skills and enjoy the process that makes the results even better.

I will be checking out that book. My library has a copy :D

INFJ here! There was one point where I questioned whether SLP was the right profession for me because of my introversion, but over time I started to realize that introverts have a unique set of strengths that can actually benefit their clients and coworkers. Even though I am an introvert, I think this field suits me perfectly.

I took the StrengthsQuest personality test a few years ago and my strengths were found to be the following: empathy, relator (forming deep relationships), restorative (problem-solving), individualization (observing others' strengths), and achiever. My strengths definitely complement a career in SLP. You can read about the traits and take the test here

Also, I think most online forums tend to attract introverts, so that might explain why the results show a greater number of introverts here, lol. 

These posts from another SLP community I follow may be helpful because they have a lot of responses from SLPs working in the field: one, two, three

Those are great resources. Thanks for sharing!  :)  I tried to take it but it said I need a code. It's cool.

I've found that I've improved at reading people's motives and that helped when I worked with non-verbal clients and those with behavioral disorders. I still would double check on the triggers too but it's been very reliable for the most part.

INTJ here.  I've taken this several times now, and aside from a brief period during which I was INFJ, I've always been INTJ.  I was a bit worried about the introversion too, before applying to grad school, but more for how others would perceive me than for my ability to do the job and work with people.  I think the typical 1 on 1 nature of SLP works well for introverts, while still working just fine for extroverts too.

I consider myself to be more introverted too. I am wondering how much public speaking, if any, is required of this field. I absolutely hate public speaking!

I consider myself to be more introverted too. I am wondering how much public speaking, if any, is required of this field. I absolutely hate public speaking!

There will be public speaking since we do have to present a lot in grad school (projects, comps, research) and when you're showcasing your findings to your team in your work (depending on the setting). I was concerned about that too so I took public speaking classes with a vocal coach just to conquer my nervousness. The best advice I got is to imagine like you're talking to your friends. It really helped!

I got ISFP--The Artist. Interesting! 

I think the endless opportunities to use technology and connecting with patients is the artistic signature in AUD. I'm taking an intro class for my post-bac and I'm envious of the devices used in your field.

Also have you seen this. It's very inspirational: