Fall 2015 Applicants

Panic! (Jk)

Look into research interests of the faculty you're interested in working with and know how your research interests fit that. Also have a few questions prepared to ask them about the program. Maybe make a list of your experiences that give you an advantage over other applicants? Good luck!

No MA; fieldwork and research experience (including a Fulbright research grant); no real publications (4th author on one and "mentions" in two others)

The application process was super draining, and I'm just relieved to have it over with. Now the anxiety is starting to set in - mostly about either getting in nowhere or getting in and having to stay out of academia because of financial issues. Any offer with no funding would be essentially the same as a rejection. But the prospect of a career studying and researching what I love is too exciting not to give it a shot...

Good luck, everyone!

Mondinec, your topic sounds awesome! We are applying to a lot of the same programs and both med/soc! If I were you, I wouldn't worry...most people have told me that a Fulbright is a golden ticket anywhere you'd like! I'm sure you'll have happy news soon :)

OMG ...  I think I have Skype interview.  I am so nervous!!!   How do I prepare?  What should my priorities be when preparing?  What are they going to ask me?  Oh my gosh oh my gosh...

Are you the Virginia interview? I'm sure they just want to make sure you are a good fit and that you'd be a good colleague. It's not academia, but in her book Tina Fey says that SNL always tried to hire people you wouldn't mind running into at 3AM. I can't help but think interviews are partially in the same spirit...

I survived my skype chit chat.  Now back to waiting.  

By rough around the edges I mean a big beard, hand tattoos that cannot be hidden and that I'm not your "traditional" student.  

Sounds like most of the grad students I know! Glad the Skype interview went well!

Mondinec, your topic sounds awesome! We are applying to a lot of the same programs and both med/soc! If I were you, I wouldn't worry...most people have told me that a Fulbright is a golden ticket anywhere you'd like! I'm sure you'll have happy news soon :)

Are you the Virginia interview? I'm sure they just want to make sure you are a good fit and that you'd be a good colleague. It's not academia, but in her book Tina Fey says that SNL always tried to hire people you wouldn't mind running into at 3AM. I can't help but think interviews are partially in the same spirit...

Sounds like most of the grad students I know! Glad the Skype interview went well!

Yes, I'm the VA interview.  This is the 3rd time I've applied for PhD programs (1st time applying to anthro, other times I applied to psych, which I ultimately decided couldn't fully encompass my interests)... so obviously it's really important to me.  Last time I applied I BLEW one of my interviews -- I was so busy trying to be an expert in what other people were doing that I didn't prepare my OWN ideas enough.  Duh!    Oh well.  Learning experience!

Good luck on ur interview rpcv!! I'm an undergrad at UVA now and love the anthro department here! I can try to answer ur questions if you have any (tho I am not too familiar with the work of the linguistic professors).

To the Duke interviewee:

Did the invite come from the central department (secretary or something), or a particular prof? 

Ie: is there any hope that mine might be coming along soon? Spent a good chunk of my morning sobbing in the library upon realizing there's no interview invite in my inbox.

Ugh.  I'm compulsively checking my email and the results forum.  Considering it could be at least another month before I hear back from some programs, it's WAY too early for this.

Ugh.  I'm compulsively checking my email and the results forum.  Considering it could be at least another month before I hear back from some programs, it's WAY too early for this.

Preach. My coworkers today got seriously disgusted with me. 

Coworker: "Hey, you must be pretty happy that all of your applications are in, right? What are you doing with all that energy?"

Me: "Um, it's all condensed into a black hole of anxiety and compulsive email checking."

Coworker: "... are you serious? What the hell? Why would you do that to yourself?"

Edit: for what it's worth, I HIGHLY recommend the Chrome Page Monitor plug in. Now instead of manually entering all of my programs into the Results Search over and over, I hit one button to check for all of them.

Edited by grad_wannabe

A thousand times this. 

I'm even worse though. I'm on craigslist, and zillow, and trulia, looking at houses and rentals and floorplans and street views and thinking Oh! This place will be perfect! Look, the cats with love the view! Ooo and look, here's the cafe we can go to on the weekends! And OO! LOOK!

Surely none of this can lead to disappointment and/or heartbreak!

I'm even worse though. I'm on craigslist, and zillow, and trulia, looking at houses and rentals and floorplans and street views and thinking Oh! This place will be perfect! Look, the cats with love the view! Ooo and look, here's the cafe we can go to on the weekends! And OO! LOOK!

Surely none of this can lead to disappointment and/or heartbreak!

I thought I was the only crazy person looking at real estate rentals!  I have an apartment all picked out for Northwestern, within walking distance of the anthropology building, and convenient to Trader Joe's, and they take cats.  It's probably not healthy, but I can't seem to help myself.

Good luck on ur interview rpcv!! I'm an undergrad at UVA now and love the anthro department here! I can try to answer ur questions if you have any (tho I am not too familiar with the work of the linguistic professors).

Thanks!!  I'll PM you after the interview.   :)

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances and interviews!  Anyone want to to claim the SUIC or UIUC admits that were posted today?  Exciting stuff!

I got SIUC!  1st acceptance -- woo!!   :)  Won't know about funding until 2/13, though.  Definitely need that. 

Edited by RPCV Cameroon

I, too, have been looking at apartments, and plenty of the programs I applied to don't notify until mid-late February ...   :P

Edited by RPCV Cameroon

I got SIUC!  1st acceptance -- woo!!   :)  Won't know about funding until 2/13, though.  Definitely need that. 

Congrats! 

I made the mistake of tying my email account to my phone so that I would get a little notification whenever something arrived in my inbox.  I had to delete that app after about a week of having a mini-freakout any time my email notification sound booped from my phone.  I still check my email obsessively but at least my phone can now vibrate without inducing a heart attack!

Anyone want to claim the UConn interview? I would be curious to know your subfield and whether it came as an 'official' interview or a POI chat. I've already spoken to my POI twice, but only through them. 

Congrats!!

I thought I was the only crazy person looking at real estate rentals!  I have an apartment all picked out for Northwestern, within walking distance of the anthropology building, and convenient to Trader Joe's, and they take cats.  It's probably not healthy, but I can't seem to help myself.

Too bad none of you are coming to Boston...the 2nd floor apartment in my building just became available!

I just received e-mail from Harvard Graduate Programme Administrator:

"As part of the admissions process, we are conducting brief, informal Skype interviews tomorrow from 11:00 am – 3:00pm EST. The interview should last approximately 15 minutes."

It doesn't say who the interview will be with. Is this normal? If it's a POI it would be good to know which one so that I can prepare. Also, what can they learn about me in 15 minutes? I'm hoping that this is a good sign...

Too bad none of you are coming to Boston...the 2nd floor apartment in my building just became available!

I did actually apply to Harvard (joint program with Middle Eastern Studies) and Boston University.  So, maybe...

I just received e-mail from Harvard Graduate Programme Administrator:

"As part of the admissions process, we are conducting brief, informal Skype interviews tomorrow from 11:00 am – 3:00pm EST. The interview should last approximately 15 minutes."

Awesome - congratulations and good luck!  Is this just for the Anthropology program (not the joint one I applied to)?