American (inc. Ethnic and other Interdisciplinary) Studies Fall 2015 Applicants

Those are great programs!

I ended up applying to UC Berkeley for English. I just got their rejection...I'm now wondering if I would have been a better fit for Ethnic Studies...ehhh too late for that now!

Welcome to the board!

We have a few other ones in common...Brown, Yale, and NYU for Am. Studies...fingers crossed for us!

Do you have a top choice program?

Yes! I'm really excited to visit the campuses but also nervous about the process :/

I'm sorry to hear that, but it's still early! Do you know when those decisions come out (Brown/Yale/NYU)?

I don't have a top choice program (yet, but I should), because I've been waiting to know the funding packages. I'm not ready to take out a huge loan for school yet. UCD Cultural Studies barely gives any money to their students. And neither does Berkeley Ethnic Studies.

Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker around this forum, but haven't had an official account until now.

Congrats to the two Brown admits that are up on the results board! Am I correct in thinking that this is a bit earlier than offers have gone out in the past? Does Brown send out all admits at once, or do they send them out in waves? In other words, should I be assuming that I am either waitlisted or rejected if I didn't get an email (and when I log in to the online app it doesn't say anything)? I'm getting a little worried over here!

Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker around this forum, but haven't had an official account until now.

Congrats to the two Brown admits that are up on the results board! Am I correct in thinking that this is a bit earlier than offers have gone out in the past? Does Brown send out all admits at once, or do they send them out in waves? In other words, should I be assuming that I am either waitlisted or rejected if I didn't get an email (and when I log in to the online app it doesn't say anything)? I'm getting a little worried over here!

Hello! Yeah, I think this is pretty early compared to past years. I don't know whether they do it all at once or in waves, though. 

Thank you! My heart almost stopped when I opened the letter. It's actually just the application portal.

That's awesome! Congratulations! I hope Brown's funding is great (which I am assuming it is), since you mentioned that that was a major concern. 

Thanks for the info about funding at UC Davis and UC Berkeley Ethnic --that actually makes me feel a lot better. I made it a requirement to only apply to programs with great funding, but I guess I must not have done my research about UC Davis.

So can I assume that if I didn't hear back from NYU and Brown at this point, I've been rejected? I've noticed in the past they don't send out rejections until weeks after they've send out acceptances.

I've been wondering the same about many schools. Using for forum/decision board has been a double edged sword !

Hi everyone, I am a fellow longtime lurker who wanted to introduce themselves. Even though I haven't participated, it's been such a comfort to see others take part in the application process. Congratulations to all the admits  :)​ 

Thanks for the welcome kateosee! And congrats on Michigan, it's such a great school (many members of my family went to UofM, and my mom's actually from Ann Arbor. Go Blue!). 

My background is in Art History and Folklore Studies, focusing generally on material culture and more specifically on clothing/textiles and Victorian photography. My dream program is probably Yale, Laura Wexler does some awesome work with photography there. I'm also still holding out for Brown- I know some acceptances were already posted, but I can't hope praying that because they've notified people much earlier than in previous years that there's still some hope out there for the rest of us!

Thanks for the welcome kateosee! And congrats on Michigan, it's such a great school (many members of my family went to UofM, and my mom's actually from Ann Arbor. Go Blue!). 

My background is in Art History and Folklore Studies, focusing generally on material culture and more specifically on clothing/textiles and Victorian photography. My dream program is probably Yale, Laura Wexler does some awesome work with photography there. I'm also still holding out for Brown- I know some acceptances were already posted, but I can't hope praying that because they've notified people much earlier than in previous years that there's still some hope out there for the rest of us!

I'm wishing you the best of luck!

And thank you. I grew up near Ann Arbor and am already at Michigan for my master's. As I'm looking outside at the snow and cold, I'm wondering what has possessed me to stay. 

Those areas sound so cool! My History of Gender class here at U of M read Tender Violence last semester. It was my first real introduction to the history of visual culture and I found it absolutely fascinating. 

My fingers are crossed for you!

Edited by kateosee

Hi everyone, I am a fellow longtime lurker who wanted to introduce themselves. Even though I haven't participated, it's been such a comfort to see others take part in the application process. Congratulations to all the admits  :)​ 

Welcome Lucecita!

I see that we've applied to a lot of similar programs...would you mind sharing which programs you've been accepted/waitlisted/rejected at? (Feel free to Private Message, if you prefer) 

:)

Hi kateosee, thank you for the warm welcome and cheerleading, it's so appreciated! And, congratulations on Michigan! 

I've applied to Michigan, UT, USC, Yale, Brown, Stanford, and NYU.

I was a history and Latin@ Studies major, and am interested in using Chicano history and historiography, cultural theory, Lacanian psychoanalytic theory, and public memory to expand on cultural studies done on Texas. I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but I'm really excited about the possibilities already present! 

Sillyrabbit: Sending you a private message :) 

Kateosee,

Thanks for the welcome :)

I applied to NYU amd USC American studies

UC Berkeley Ethnic Studies

And Ucla Gender studies

USC: Waitlist

UCB: rejection

UCLA:

NYU: