American (inc. Ethnic and other Interdisciplinary) Studies Fall 2015 Applicants

Hi all,

I thought I'd take the liberty to start this thread if anyone else is thinking about it!

Not quite sure where I'm applying yet, but definitely NYU AmSt is on my list.

If you're thinking about applying, what brings you to inter/transdisciplinary studies? I myself am somewhat conflicted because these are where my interests best fit, but some of my advisors warn against the hirability (sic? New word now) of such programs. Then again, it's the networks and the dissertation, too. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I was an applicant last year, and just wanted to say good luck to everyone applying! :) I applied to a mix of American Studies/Ethnic Studies/English programs and will be in an Ethnic Studies program next year. Ultimately, I applied to interdisciplinary programs because my interests and methodologies really fit best there, I'm slightly concerned about the "hirability" as well (hehe), but my department seems to have pretty solid placement so I hope that works in my favor.  I could also see myself working outside the academy in a number of functions, so that helps alleviate some of my concerns, too.

Cheers, everyone!

Edited by hj2012

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this thread! I have a master's in communication. I am really interested in american studies and want to get into a Ph.D program (currently studying for GRE).

My concern is that I do not have any background in American studies. Do I have a chance or am I just wasting my time? Any input is welcome.   

• 1 month later...

I'm also applying for interdisciplinary programs, some of which American Studies. I'm very interested in American and Ethnic Studies at USC, primarily because it is the home of Judith 'Jack' Halberstam, whom I adore! Other inter programs I'm considering are Rhetoric at Berkeley and Modern Thought at Stanford.

Puyong, I wouldn't worry. I don't believe many people applying to American Studies have done an undergraduate in A.S. - myself included! (I was Theatre Studies and English Literature BA and my Masters is in Women's Studies).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to revitalize this thread...how did everyone's apps turn out? I only have a few more to go...

Ended up only submitting to one AmSt program, and the rest were history graduate programs. It's a top tier one, where I'm applying, but I'm hoping the great contacts I have with current grad students and two faculty members of good fit gives enough weight to at least be seriously considered! How goes it on your end?

Ended up applying to 7 Am. Studies programs...already had an quick interview at one.  I must say that now, this process feels so real, now that I know that real adcom members are reading my app! (Before, it just felt like I was writing apps into the abyss).

hey, sillyrabbit..nothing specific, just applied there also and glad to see someone else who's braving the devastating ratios...I'm trying to keep positive about it, and my elation comes from that hope...I've been applying to schools since September, with networks across 6 schools, and only now met another MTL hopeful lololol

Sounds good - MTL has quite the odds....! Yes, you've got quite an impressive list there. Are they mostly English or Am. Studies or Comp Lit. departments you are interested in?

I'd say a good mix...out of 8, NYU, Columbia, and UPenn are English/Comparative Literature; Cornell is Comparative Literature exclusviely; Stanford is MTL; Brown is Modern Culture and Media; Harvard is African American Studies; Yale is African-American Studies and Film/Visual Studies. You? :)

• 2 weeks later...

USC Am. studies admit up on results board. 

I saw that too (I applied to USC Am. Studies because of the fit) but a result over the weekend really seems weird. USC is really bad with undergrad and grad admissions so they don't (usually) respond until mid feb and early March, according to past year results.

Edit: USC does admit in waves, also. Forgot about that.

Edited by FeministCorgi

A few AmStud rejections from UT Austin (and I was one of them, ack).

Not sure how competitive an applicant I would be having come from a poetry MFA (and an anthropology undergrad). Also having applied only to top tier schools (whatever that means) because of life situation.

Luck to all!

For you USC applicants who have heard one way or another has your application status changed on the usc app. website?

Nope, still says submitted. If you are curious, you could always call USC (I am too afraid to hear any more bad news this week) and ask if all graduate admissions decisions have been released.

Eh. I'll wait I guess. I actually applied to a different humanities dept but it's been total silence. Just trying tog et a feel for everyone else's situations to compare to my own

Personally, no news is good news right now from USC. USC really responds mid-Feb for most programs. So stay hopeful.