American (inc. Ethnic and other Interdisciplinary) Studies Fall 2015 Applicants

Hi kateosee, thank you for the warm welcome and cheerleading, it's so appreciated! And, congratulations on Michigan! 

I've applied to Michigan, UT, USC, Yale, Brown, Stanford, and NYU.

I was a history and Latin@ Studies major, and am interested in using Chicano history and historiography, cultural theory, Lacanian psychoanalytic theory, and public memory to expand on cultural studies done on Texas. I'm still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but I'm really excited about the possibilities already present! 

Sillyrabbit: Sending you a private message :)

Oh that sounds fascinating! The project that I've been working on for the last two years (and will continue to work on) focuses on the disproportionate institutionalization and sterilization of Latino/as under state eugenics programs. 

Best of luck and congratulations on the already pleasant possibilities. PM me if you were one of the U of M AmCult admits- I don't know who the other 5 people are :( 

Kateosee,

Thanks for the welcome :)

I applied to NYU amd USC American studies

UC Berkeley Ethnic Studies

And Ucla Gender studies

USC: Waitlist

UCB: rejection

UCLA:

NYU:

Best of luck on your next two! I have my fingers crossed for you :) 

I was admitted to UCSD but I am not one of the admits on the board. Heard about two weeks ago. 

Congratulations on the admit! 

My fingers are crossed for you!

Thanks kateosee, you're very kind! My fingers are crossed too, and while I know it isn't too late to have not heard anything yet, I'm getting more and more anxious about it every day.

On the subject of Brown, how does everyone here feel about calling the department to see if all admits have already gone out? I know I should just wait and see, but I have some things in my life that need arranging and it would be helpful to know as soon as possible. I just don't want them to feel like I'm pestering them, as I'm sure they get all kinds of phone calls and requests from applicants. So yay or nay? Is it a bad idea to call?

I dont think that is such a bad or bugging thing to do....and if the circumstances call for it, why not?

Personally im way too phone nervous to call haha...

Goodluck either way though! :)

On the subject of Brown, how does everyone here feel about calling the department to see if all admits have already gone out? I know I should just wait and see, but I have some things in my life that need arranging and it would be helpful to know as soon as possible. I just don't want them to feel like I'm pestering them, as I'm sure they get all kinds of phone calls and requests from applicants. So yay or nay? Is it a bad idea to call?

Pawnee_IN -

First: love your screen name

Second: I'm in your boat on wanting to know what's up with Brown as I also have things that need arranging. I talked two close professor friends of mine who both said that they wouldn't recommend contacting a POI about it (as that could be read as pestering the adcom), but that it's not at all out of line to contact department administrators to see if they know when you might be able to expect.

Now, I haven't actually contacted anyone (I teach late on T/Th so the department is closed by the time I get home) but I'm hoping that when I go fishing tomorrow, someone at Brown will bite.

I have a question, though: I haven't perused this feed as thoroughly as I perhaps could have, but I was just wondering if anyone has claimed those two Brown AmSt acceptances on the results board? If they have been claimed, I apologize for my ignorance and offer you many hearty congratulations! I'm only asking because they seem so early when compared to previous years' notifications so if anyone knows anything about Brown's adcom's process, it'd be great to hear your thoughts on whether those two acceptances mean "implied rejections" for those of us still living in limbo.

Edited by Red_Barron

Pawnee_IN -

First: love your screen name

Thanks Red_Barron! My sadness over grad apps is rivalled only by my sadness over the ending of Parks and Rec. Why must you do this to me Leslie Knope?! I could really use an unending supply of your sunny disposition.

On the subject of Brown: there was one person on this thread (WhatIsHirability) who claimed a Brown acceptance. The other is a complete mystery! I personally feel there is still hope- no one has posted rejections, so perhaps Brown reached out to a couple of people they really wanted extra early this year. I was *this* close to calling the department this morning, but I chickened out. I was nervous they would offer to check the status of my particular application, and then we could both enjoy the awkwardness of them telling me I was rejected/waitlisted over the phone. I'm probably just being extra paranoid...

Pawnee_IN (and others waiting to hear from Brown) - 

I contacted the admissions office and the AmSt department today to ask about when we might expect to hear back from Brown's DGS regarding our admissions status.

Answer:  American Studies admissions are being released in batches/waves this year to meet the usual number of 6 acceptances. As to when those of us not included in the first batch of admissions decisions could hear back:

No real way of knowing when we'll hear. Weather has been an issue, but it could be as early as this evening or as late as two weeks from now.

I'm not sure that knowing that really makes continuing to wait any easier, especially when there houses that need putting in order, but it's what I've learned, so I thought I'd share.

Also, Pawnee_IN - the end of Parks and Rec is so sad... but I can't say that I'm not loving the hour a week I get to spend with it now.

Win some, lose some... either way, there will be wine. 

True of waiting on admissions decisions and the conclusion of a beloved program.

Red_Barron: Thanks for making the call, you're awesome! It is nice to have a confirmed finite amount of time we have to wait, although it's torturous that they're going to make some people wait until early March to hear. I'm assuming Yale will send out decisions next week, and I was hoping to hear from Brown by then as well so that the admissions season would be over for me by the end of February. I'm sort of curious as to why this year was so different that they're sending out decisions in waves rather than all at once like they have for previous years. Surely the bad weather in the Northeast can't be the only reason?! Hopefully this doesn't mean that competition is extra tough this year.

I wouldn't underestimate how much the weather is affecting people. Every snow day and day you can't get in requires quite a bit of time to work around and catch up with. 

Either way, I hope the wait for you guys is over very, very soon with happy news :) 

I wouldn't underestimate how much the weather is affecting people. Every snow day and day you can't get in requires quite a bit of time to work around and catch up with. 

Either way, I hope the wait for you guys is over very, very soon with happy news :)

Just to echo this, the snow has been really bad in the Northeast so I don't doubt that there can be delays! 

No problem about calling; the AmSt department administrator probably hates me now, though, thanks to being bopped around the Brown switchboard and landing back at his desk on 3 separate occasions. (woops... but it really wasn't my bad.) 

As to the weather:

I can absolutely buy the snow being an issue ... Again, it doesn't make waiting an easier pill to swallow, but I'm coming to GC from Boston and all the universities in the area have lost at least 4 days of classes due to weather. That's been compounded by both rapid and commuter public transit shut downs, poor road conditions, and yes, even academic buildings have been subject to random structural concerns and power outages, etc. And every time they have to reschedule classes, they also have to reschedule adcom meetings to adjust to accommodated teaching schedules (Monday classes being held on Thursdays, Tuesdays on Wednesdays, potential Saturday classes are a thing, too... ad absurdum), which is increasing the delay.

New England's a mess. Basically.

So, wait patiently for the snow to melt we must. 

In the meantime, hang in there and cheers to good news coming (if only for so much waiting).

Oh that sounds fascinating! The project that I've been working on for the last two years (and will continue to work on) focuses on the disproportionate institutionalization and sterilization of Latino/as under state eugenics programs. 

Best of luck and congratulations on the already pleasant possibilities. PM me if you were one of the U of M AmCult admits- I don't know who the other 5 people are :(

Wow, your project sounds amazing! I'm always so excited to meet someone interested in Latino/a Studies! Currently waitlisted at Michigan, so the search continues. Best of luck!!! 

Also, I posted the other Brown acceptance on the board! 

I'm sure you all are completely right about snow derailing the admissions process. I'm originally from a place that gets a ton of snow, and we were always expected to show up to class regardless. So now, whenever anyone uses snow as an excuse I tend to not buy it. Although perceptions of weather are of course relative to one's prior experiences.

Man, this admissions process has made me extra judgy...

Based on the archives of the results search, it looks like Yale has historically let admits know by a phone call on the 25th or the 26th. This means we could know tomorrow!!!! I don't think I'll be able to sit still in class or work.