American (inc. Ethnic and other Interdisciplinary) Studies Fall 2015 Applicants

Yes, it's me. I received the email this evening. 

First of all a MASSIVE congratulations to you!! It's a wonderful program! 

I was just wondering if anyone else had received anything as yours is the only post up on the board at the moment

I applied as well, but haven't heard anything from them. I'm taking it as a probable sign of rejection, it was a long shot for me anyway being an international student and it looks like they release admissions before rejections based off of previous years!

But not to take the gloss off of your wonderful news at all! Congratulations once again and I wish you all the best in the program!!  :)  :)

First of all a MASSIVE congratulations to you!! It's a wonderful program! 

I was just wondering if anyone else had received anything as yours is the only post up on the board at the moment

I applied as well, but haven't heard anything from them. I'm taking it as a probable sign of rejection, it was a long shot for me anyway being an international student and it looks like they release admissions before rejections based off of previous years!

But not to take the gloss off of your wonderful news at all! Congratulations once again and I wish you all the best in the program!!  :)  :)

Thank you for the well-wishes! I still can't believe it.  :)  Best of luck to you! I hope you hear back positively.

Hey there, I was just wondering, since looking at past admissions, does NYU always conduct interviews for American Studies and shouldn't we have heard about the interviews by now if we were invited?

I got rejected from USC and I thought that this would have actually been the best fit for me, and I for them, so now I'm kind of crushed and like "I won't get in ANYWHERE anyway." haha

Good luck, FeministCorgi! 

Who did you write about working with if you don't mind me asking? 

Btw, my partner is in LOVE with your name. He is dying to get a Corgi but knows I will only adopt dogs. He checks the shelters almost every day waiting for a Corgi to pop up. He saw your name and squealed. 

The prof that told me is the one I want to work with but has nothing to do with my app. She first asked me which department I would pick if admitted to both of the ones I applied to at U of M. She then said she lobbied hard for me but then said that the admission rates are ridiculously low. It was a mega days of highs and lows lol. (Though she said I needed to text her right away when I get news- she doesn't know anything more than I do, or so she says.)

I am way more nervous than I was earlier today lol. And I have another meeting with her on Tuesday. Oy vey! 

Haha, corgis are so popular and in demand! I don't think many people would willingly give up a corgi =(. I could not fathom giving up any dog, in that sense. 

At least you have connections at U of M. I'm hoping for the best from U of M. Yeah but I do remember U of M having a really long waitlist (this could be good or bad). I guess we can only be hopeful! =)

Haha, corgis are so popular and in demand! I don't think many people would willingly give up a corgi =(. I could not fathom giving up any dog, in that sense. 

At least you have connections at U of M. I'm hoping for the best from U of M. Yeah but I do remember U of M having a really long waitlist (this could be good or bad). I guess we can only be hopeful! =)

I couldn't either, but I've worked in dog rescue long enough to know that people will give up anything. I've fostered more "purebreds" than I can count. It's heartbreaking but at least all the ones I've fostered have found their true fur-ever homes :) 

Yes, I have connections at U of M but it's been torture. I spent most of Wednesday with my POI (who, as I said before, has no input on my app because of conflict of interest) and she (accidentally) put me through an emotional rollercoaster by talking about what-ifs and what my alternative options are. It was a day of "I lobbied for you! But there are only ~6-7 spots." I'm in classes with a lot of AmCult students and every day I see them they ask me if I've heard anything. 

Before even applying, they told me that a LARGE number of people get in off the waitlist. Even though the program is fully funded for 5 years, the stipend isn't great compared to the likes of Yale and other private schools. This has been the case for several years. 

*fingers crossed* for both of us :) 

I did. I don't expect to hear back until the very end of Feburary.

InSchoolForever, if you don't mind me asking...(I noticed you and I applied to the exact same 5 American Studies programs :))

What school did you get an acceptance and waitlist? Which program out of the 5 is your top choice? Any POIs you are particularly excited to hear back from?

InSchoolForever, if you don't mind me asking...(I noticed you and I applied to the exact same 5 American Studies programs :))

What school did you get an acceptance and waitlist? Which program out of the 5 is your top choice? Any POIs you are particularly excited to hear back from?

Hey sillyrabbit,

I was accepted into Minnesota and waitlisted from USC. Can't say I have a top choice, waiting to see what my options are (if I have options). I could see myself at any of the schools, and would be very happy with Minnesota. As for POIs, can't name them all off the top of my head, but my focus is on critical ethnic studies and popular culture, so I'd be happy to hear back from any who have strong backgrounds in those fields.

Hey sillyrabbit,

I was accepted into Minnesota and waitlisted from USC. Can't say I have a top choice, waiting to see what my options are (if I have options). I could see myself at any of the schools, and would be very happy with Minnesota. As for POIs, can't name them all off the top of my head, but my focus is on critical ethnic studies and popular culture, so I'd be happy to hear back from any who have strong backgrounds in those fields.

Awesome! Those are great schools for your focus. Are you going to visiting weekend at Minnesota?

Are you waiting on any other results? Or, is Michigan AmCult your top choice?

Michigan was actually the only school I applied to, lol. I am waiting to hear back from History & Women's Studies here, too, but I think I'm heavily leaning towards AmCult either way. 

My POI/boss said that I am the first person she's ever seen get accepted who submitted a writing sample that wasn't agonized over (like a thesis or term paper). I literally wrote it the week before apps were due. 

Michigan was actually the only school I applied to, lol. I am waiting to hear back from History & Women's Studies here, too, but I think I'm heavily leaning towards AmCult either way. 

My POI/boss said that I am the first person she's ever seen get accepted who submitted a writing sample that wasn't agonized over (like a thesis or term paper). I literally wrote it the week before apps were due. 

Wow! You must love Michigan....seems like a great place. Know anything about their English notifications?

Wow! You must love Michigan....seems like a great place. Know anything about their English notifications?

Ha. I have a love/hate relationship with Michigan (I went to the rival for undergrad). It was more just that I have a few on-going projects and I wanted to stick around for at least another year. 

I haven't heard anything about English :/ I'll be sure to let you know if I do! 

Edited by kateosee

I was thinking/hoping that once the English and History programs start getting responses, American Studies should too. Doesn't that seem logical, since they share many of the same faculty? Or am I just getting myself perked up for no reason?

Penn State has at last awakened, so I would imagine more will follow suit this week.  For some reason, my scores got switched around when I submitted my results -- should be 163 V and 151 Q.  No idea why it messed that up.

I had heard that Michigan had temporarily ceased their program and so didn't apply, but now that I see people managed to apply there, I suspect I had faulty info.  Too bad; I would have liked to apply there, too.

Penn State has at last awakened, so I would imagine more will follow suit this week.  For some reason, my scores got switched around when I submitted my results -- should be 163 V and 151 Q.  No idea why it messed that up.

I had heard that Michigan had temporarily ceased their program and so didn't apply, but now that I see people managed to apply there, I suspect I had faulty info.  Too bad; I would have liked to apply there, too.

Eek, not sure where you heard that. 

A few years ago, the History dept stopped accepting applications for the year and sociology & women's studies no longer accept applicants- but AmCult is still open for business. 

Congrats on Penn State!

It seems like the waitlist letters for UMich went out today. Fwiw, I have heard from AC faculty and students that generally several people are accepted off the waitlist. 

I got my acceptance letter. The admissions weekend is March 12-14. 

Hi sillyrabbit,

That would be me. I resisted creating an account for a very long time, but finally caved in after my second rejection today. :(

Congratz on UC Davis! Do you know where they stand in terms of acceptances? Have they sent them all out?

Sad to hear about the second rejection...do you mind me asking where?

Also what are your general research interests? What other schools did you apply to? It's great to see more people on this board!

Congratz on UC Davis! Do you know where they stand in terms of acceptances? Have they sent them all out?

Sad to hear about the second rejection...do you mind me asking where?

Also what are your general research interests? What other schools did you apply to? It's great to see more people on this board!

Thank you! I think they have sent them all out, and from the emails, there are 9 accepted, not sure if they keep a waitlist.

My two rejections are from USC American Studies and UMichigan American Culture. Sad about Michigan, but oh well.

And, hahaha! I should probably add that to my signature. My research interests are mostly immigrants/immigration-related, surrounding race and racialization, and identity formation. I applied to a total of 12 schools: UCSC Hist of Consciousness, UMaryland-College Park+NYU+Brown+GWU+Yale+Purdue for American Studies, and UC Berkeley+SD for Ethnic Studies. So far accepted to Maryland, Berkeley, and Davis.