American (inc. Ethnic and other Interdisciplinary) Studies Fall 2015 Applicants

did someone actually claim that USC AMstudies acceptance on the results board from mid Jan or was that a fake? 

No one here did, perhaps it was a troll? But I don't understand the logic behind trolling. When I called USC last week, they said they didn't make any decisions yet.

did someone actually claim that USC AMstudies acceptance on the results board from mid Jan or was that a fake? 

I'm pretty sure this is sillyrabbit's, it was announced in the Lit, Rhet & Comp forum... :D

I'm pretty sure this is sillyrabbit's, it was announced in the Lit, Rhet & Comp forum... :D

Just saw this (sorry - I've been paying attention/responding mostly to the Lit. forum)...yes, this was me. It was definitely earlier than expected, but I am super excited at the prospect of attending.

So, how many times a day are you guys checking Grad Cafe?  I'm forcibly limiting myself to no more than five!  I keep trying to tell myself that no news is good news and that worry has no benefit whatsoever, but then in the next second I'm wanting to view the results page again!

So, how many times a day are you guys checking Grad Cafe? I'm forcibly limiting myself to no more than five! I keep trying to tell myself that no news is good news and that worry has no benefit whatsoever, but then in the next second I'm wanting to view the results page again!

Probably wayyyy too often

I have it blocked on my computer between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM. 

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to block sites on my phone so I'm still obsessively checking. 

Le sigh. 

sillyrabbit, if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose English at UMich instead of AmCult? Also- who would you like to work with there? 

I have it blocked on my computer between the hours of 8 AM and 10 PM. 

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to block sites on my phone so I'm still obsessively checking. 

Le sigh. 

sillyrabbit, if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose English at UMich instead of AmCult? Also- who would you like to work with there? 

I actually debated applying to both English and AmCult at UMich, but in the end just decided on one. It was a close call, but I chose English because I felt the fit (both for faculty and current grad students) was slightly stronger. I listed a few POIs but was primarily interested in working with Victor Mendoza in the English department.

Are you currently at Michigan for undergrad?

I actually debated applying to both English and AmCult at UMich, but in the end just decided on one. It was a close call, but I chose English because I felt the fit (both for faculty and current grad students) was slightly stronger. I listed a few POIs but was primarily interested in working with Victor Mendoza in the English department.

Are you currently at Michigan for undergrad?

I am actually a graduate student (MPH) applying for my PhD. 

I am currently in Victor's Queer of Color Critique class and I really, truly cannot say enough good things about the man. He is a wonderfully supportive and hilarious individual. 

One of the nice things about the grad depts at U of M, especially in these kind of nebulous fields, is that there is a LOT of overlap. I can't count the number of different PhD programs represented in Victor's class this semester. 

That's great to hear, kateosee. I'm very interested in his work, and I am glad that he is wonderful to work with.

Here's a question for the group. Does anyone know what are considered (with a huge grain of salt) the "top tier" American Studies/Cultural Studies programs? I've applied to English programs, where the prestige/strength of certain programs are "decently" clear. But, for American Studies programs, I feel like this is murkier. Obviously, rankings aren't everything, and taken at face value, can be a completely wrong way of approaching grad school admissions. However, I do think that they can be helpful to generally compare the strength of programs, with breathing room of course. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Yeah, kind of a weird question to ask after apps have been submitted, but I figured I ask...if only just to start conversation in this thread :D

Sillyrabbit, you might be interested in checking out this thread:  http://chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124700/.  American Studies programs aren't officially ranked, as are PhD programs in other fields, though.  I also don't think that ranking is as important as fit, as American Studies programs can--and do--have completely different approaches.  They are really all over the map.  

If anyone is waiting to hear back from Michigan's AmCult program I was told by a prof that we should hear next week.

Yes, same here. They give out decision usually before Valentine's Day. Nothing says happy "single awareness day" as "we regret to inform you" or "we are pleased to inform you"

Best wishes to all

Good luck, FeministCorgi! 

Who did you write about working with if you don't mind me asking? 

Btw, my partner is in LOVE with your name. He is dying to get a Corgi but knows I will only adopt dogs. He checks the shelters almost every day waiting for a Corgi to pop up. He saw your name and squealed. 

The prof that told me is the one I want to work with but has nothing to do with my app. She first asked me which department I would pick if admitted to both of the ones I applied to at U of M. She then said she lobbied hard for me but then said that the admission rates are ridiculously low. It was a mega days of highs and lows lol. (Though she said I needed to text her right away when I get news- she doesn't know anything more than I do, or so she says.)

I am way more nervous than I was earlier today lol. And I have another meeting with her on Tuesday. Oy vey!