2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

i got waitlisted for a couple of schools ... what do u think is the likleihood i will get an offer? why do programs have a waitlist anyway when i was told that they usually send acceptances to more people than they want to account for the fact that many will choose another school?

They waitlist since they tier their applicants - basically the strongest applicants will get offers, with the fact that some of the strongest will probably not choose to attend that institute. Those on the waitlist would typically be applicants that would fit the program but probably less so than the top set of applicants that are offered admission. 

i got waitlisted for a couple of schools ... what do u think is the likleihood i will get an offer? why do programs have a waitlist anyway when i was told that they usually send acceptances to more people than they want to account for the fact that many will choose another school?

Because they never know how many of those they give offers to will choose to attend. I would guess that it's probable that they've extended enough to be sure they'll get the number of grad students they want. But, there's always the chance that one year they'll be short and then pick from the waitlist.

It depends on the school. I know that at least my school doesn't send many acceptances over what they expect, and they definitely pull off the waitlist. Most of the time the waitlist is because they liked you as an applicant and think that you are a good fit, but there were people who were a better fit who they want to make an offer to first.

It's so exciting hosting recruits! I really want to know who I'll be seeing again in the fall now!

Same here! I'm helping with the events for our visit day next week and I am stoked! It is going to be awesome.

Same here! I'm helping with the events for our visit day next week and I am stoked! It is going to be awesome.

Besides being exciting, it made me feel that the year's gone by so fast! Four of us who volunteered to be "guides" at our recruitment dinner last night met each other for the first time at the same dinner a year ago...thinking about that is just crazy!

Not me haha I got rejected. 

:/ Well, hopefully that just means UIUC wasn't the right place for you and that one of the other programs from which you've received an interview is!

Ahh, I don't know anyone who applied to that program. Sorry :( but good luck getting in!! 

Thank you!! I am still waiting!!! I am probably on the waitlist since it is a small program and there is no way that they haven't made a decision...

Has anyone heard from UCLA molecular interdepartmental program, specifically CDB? I haven't heard anything and I feel like its been almost a month now.

Anyone thinking about going to Northwestern DGP? I like the program but not sure if I can handle the weather and the high cost of living near that area. Any advice from Chicago natives or people already attending/thinking about going to Northwestern DGP would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Anyone thinking about going to Northwestern DGP? I like the program but not sure if I can handle the weather and the high cost of living near that area. Any advice from Chicago natives or people already attending/thinking about going to Northwestern DGP would be much appreciated! Thank you!

went to NU for undergrad, lived in chicago for a while, and going to UChicago. i also interviewed there btu didn't exactly like the fit as much as others.  The weather isn't that bad as long as you have a good coat and boots and you get used to it honestly. Also, you can find relatively cheap housing in some of the burbs like wrigleyville or lincoln park or wicker park that are really nice and fun neighborhoods. if you live close to campus of course you're goin to be dishing out 1500 for rent, but maybe 10-20 min el ride away you'll be able to find rent closer to 700-900 for sure. 

Has anyone heard from UCLA molecular interdepartmental program, specifically CDB? I haven't heard anything and I feel like its been almost a month now.

When I talked to them, they told me they would notify everyone by April 11th. I haven't heard anything since then, though I know other people have been waitlisted or rejected. No idea what's going on!  

I'm still not sure where I want to go and decided to pretend I got into UCLA in the meantime for working on making my decision (rent research, etc). I've narrowed it down to UCSD, UC Irvine, and UCLA. If I end up not getting in to UCLA, that makes it all the easier! 

I'm also considering Northwestern DGP. Would you mind sharing what you like best about the program? I really liked the faculty and I was impressed by the program when I visited, but I'd really like to know what you thought about it. I'm struggling to make a decision!

I just had interviews this past weekend at UNC Chapel Hill, but Ecology departments seem to be weirdly late compared to everybody else. 

I just had interviews this past weekend at UNC Chapel Hill, but Ecology departments seem to be weirdly late compared to everybody else. 

Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat. I'm still doing skype interviews with one program and have an in person interview at another program on Thursday. Really hoping things work out Thursday because it's my top choice and I wasn't able to make their interview weekend (only had 1). They've also sent out some acceptances already, so I'm a bit concerned.

Made my decision! This is so UNREAL. 

Thank you to all of you posting on this forum. It's been a long struggle full of doubt and awkwardness and lurking here has really been helpful for advice and also just to know that we're all going through this together. And best of luck to those of you still waiting!!!! 

Now to turn down my other offers... any tips on how to do this gracefully? 

I didn't get in the second year in a row.

Fuck American science.  I'm going to Europe.

EDIT:  Am I just getting downvotes because you lot think I got rejected for being an idiot?  Here's my stats:

I have a 3.69 GPA with honors, 167V/163Q/4.0A GREs, a second-author pub, about three semesters' worth of research experience including at two prominent research stations, two and a half years spent at community college, one first abortive try at college when I was younger before the second time went through, and I'm not sure anymore what my letter writers think of me. I may not have taken enough credits each semester as I was going through undergrad.

My interests are a little niche, probably (evolutionary developmental biology with a focus on neuroscience). Evo-devo bio has only just now set up a professional society in the United States. I don't THINK I'm socially awkward, and everybody I've asked has said I have no problems, but I'm beginning to be doubtful.

I'm twenty pounds overweight, if that makes much of a difference, which according to peer-reviewed research it might. I'm just a little introverted. Not shy. Just more easily exhaustible than average when it comes to social shit.

I got three interviews each year, so the adcom clearly knew all this going in and invited me and then fucked me over.

My undergrad school was somewhere in, like, the top 250. Third-tier shit. Public institution. Yes, this matters: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/03/education/edlife/why-you-cant-catch-up.html?_r=0

Edited by acetylcholine

Made my decision! This is so UNREAL. 

Now to turn down my other offers... any tips on how to do this gracefully? 

1. Congrats!

2. As others have advised in various forums, keep it short and sweet. Here is my minimum form letter:

Dear [so-and-so],

I am writing in response to my offer of admission to the [blah department / program] at [blah university]. I appreciate the committee’s interest in me, but I regret to inform you that I will not be accepting the offer of admission. I have found a better personal fit at another university. My thanks go out to the committee, my interviewers, and the current grad students for their time and consideration.

Sincerely,

[elkheart]