2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dedi

Has anyone been to a UC San Diego BMS interview yet? I was informed that we won't get our interview schedules until we arrive and it looks like we have an hour interview with a faculty host (I also don't know who this is). Was this different from a normal interview? 

I don't have an acceptance yet but I have another interview. :/

Is it alright to ask where the interview is at? Did you just find out about it? It seems so late to be hearing about an interview...

Is it alright to ask where the interview is at? Did you just find out about it? It seems so late to be hearing about an interview...

Sure thing. It's at University of Houston. I applied there kind of as a safety school but they do have interesting research, recently reached Tier 1 status and there's a lot of exciting changes going on campus-wise. It's not my first choice but I would definitely be happy there if I end up staying in Houston, and rejected from the other Houston-area schools. (I'm a Houston native).

I've had quite a few interviews so far...
Anyone else heard back from Duke Genetics or Cornell BMCB (NOT the BCMB at Weill Cornell)?

On the results page there are 2 results from Cornell but I was told all decisions will only be made after the final interview weekend (which is this weekend)...

I've officially accepted the offer at UChicago!

If you're also considering at UChicago, please feel free to PM me - I'm happy to talk about how I felt through the interview process or any of the pros/cons here and at other places. Or I would love to know who my fellow classmates are. 

Good luck everyone else on making a decision! 

Would it look bad if I called a school I interviewed with and asked if they already sent acceptances? It's been a week since I interviewed, how long should I wait? I'm going crazy watching my phone and email for an offer....

Some places do take longer to get back. If your school has a second interview weekend after yours they might not send the acceptances until after that. 

Would it look bad if I called a school I interviewed with and asked if they already sent acceptances? It's been a week since I interviewed, how long should I wait? I'm going crazy watching my phone and email for an offer....

You can email the program office to ask when you should expect to hear back.  It's a common question enough, programs know people are anxious to hear back.  Generally, they'll tell you X days/weeks after interview, or they'll say something like "the committee will meet on X date".

Glad I got one acceptance for one of my two back up programs. My other (and unfortunately due to research fit my higher choice) back up school just sent this out. Hopefully, no one has NC State as a top choice.

Dear Applicant

Due to increasing budget and funding cuts scheduled for the next academic year, we will not be able to accept PhD students for fall 2015. This is an unfortunate situation for both the students and professors, but a reality of the times.

Since you already applied to the Graduate School at NC State, your application can be directed to another program at no cost to you. To redirect your application, you need to contact the admissions office in the Graduate School

Glad I got one acceptance for one of my two back up programs. My other (and unfortunately due to research fit my higher choice) back up school just sent this out. Hopefully, no one has NC State as a top choice.

Dear Applicant

Due to increasing budget and funding cuts scheduled for the next academic year, we will not be able to accept PhD students for fall 2015. This is an unfortunate situation for both the students and professors, but a reality of the times.

Since you already applied to the Graduate School at NC State, your application can be directed to another program at no cost to you. To redirect your application, you need to contact the admissions office in the Graduate School

Woah! To accept ZERO grad students for the year! That's really unfortunate for NC State, and I guarantee it's very frustrating and concerning for everyone involved.

Woah! To accept ZERO grad students for the year! That's really unfortunate for NC State, and I guarantee it's very frustrating and concerning for everyone involved.

I feel horrible for their department. I called the director of the program to inquire about joint appointments and find out if I had my app forwarded to chemistry could I work for my research interests in biochem (no, my POIs don't have joint appointments) and we talked about it for a while. I did undergrad and MS in NC. The state does not give two craps about funding education, especially k-12 and it's hitting universities now too. Pretty much, if it's not UNC CH or Duke, they don't get money anymore from state funds. He said the state cut back 18% of their funding.

I'm just so sad for them and multiple other really strong institutions in our state.

I feel horrible for their department. I called the director of the program to inquire about joint appointments and find out if I had my app forwarded to chemistry could I work for my research interests in biochem (no, my POIs don't have joint appointments) and we talked about it for a while. I did undergrad and MS in NC. The state does not give two craps about funding education, especially k-12 and it's hitting universities now too. Pretty much, if it's not UNC CH or Duke, they don't get money anymore from state funds. He said the state cut back 18% of their funding.

I'm just so sad for them and multiple other really strong institutions in our state.

Did you apply to the biochem department there? I know that the funding issues are university wide at ncsu, but you might also look into the genetics department if you can find someone that fits your interest. Though, honestly I think youd probably be happier at other schools you've applied to.

I rang and asked, and they basically said the absolute cut off date is April 15th, until then just wait. But I haven't had an interview yet either, so i dunno.

I want to do protein structure so no interest in genetics. I thought about chemistry since my ms is chemistry but their department also decided not to take any students. Sad day for NCSU.

Did you apply to the biochem department there? I know that the funding issues are university wide at ncsu, but you might also look into the genetics department if you can find someone that fits your interest. Though, honestly I think youd probably be happier at other schools you've applied to.

Has anyone been to a UC San Diego BMS interview yet? I was informed that we won't get our interview schedules until we arrive and it looks like we have an hour interview with a faculty host (I also don't know who this is). Was this different from a normal interview? 

I went to the BMS interview weekend first week of February, and the first interview is basically you having a one on one lunch/interview with your faculty host. This was the most unique interview weekend of all the schools I've visited, and it is a very enjoyable experience. They take you to their restaurant of choice, so some people stayed on campus while others went elsewhere. My faculty host actually has his lab at Sanford-Burnham research institute so he drove me to that building and we had lunch at their cafeteria. It was very informal so you probably dont' have to worry about it much!

I have a question to those who already know which school they are attending. Did you officially accept the acceptance before you were done interviewing with all your programs?

Edited by yolk

I have a question to those who already know which school they are attending. Did you officially accept the acceptance before you were done interviewing with all your programs?

Go for it if you're 100% sure your opinion of the other programs won't change. Is there any reason you have to accept the offer early? You could always wait and see with your last few interviews. If you accept the offer, you should probably decline the other interviews.

I went to the BMS interview weekend first week of February, and the first interview is basically you having a one on one lunch/interview with your faculty host. This was the most unique interview weekend of all the schools I've visited, and it is a very enjoyable experience. They take you to their restaurant of choice, so some people stayed on campus while others went elsewhere. My faculty host actually has his lab at Sanford-Burnham research institute so he drove me to that building and we had lunch at their cafeteria. It was very informal so you probably dont' have to worry about it much!

Wait, the POI at a premier research institution took you to his/her restaurant of choice, which was an on-campus cafeteria for lunch?  Talk about wowing the prospects! 

*sarcasm* 

But seriously, it's La Jolla, hope they at least had pescados. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I waited until I was done interviewing before I made anything official since I felt that would only be fair.  You can have your preferences and your list set and be ready to make a decision after your last interview but I didn't feel I could be honest and true if I showed up to an interview having already accepted an offer somewhere else.  What is waiting a few weeks going to do?