HGSE Fall 2015

workink

I sincerely hope it comes before the open house...so that once I have attended the open house, I am all set to decide ! 

Got a response: "aid information will be available by the end of the month"

Which we knew already...

Got a response: "aid information will be available by the end of the month"

Which we knew already...

Well they responded the same way about the admission decisions to someone on this forum....as in on 8th they said they would be out at the end of the month-as published on the website....but we did get the results on 8th itself...so I think they will just resonate the official published dates....we may still hear from they this afternoon or tomorrow....

I got a call from HGSE finaid today about receiving an external fellowship. I am going to assume other ones like urban scholar award people will get called too. I also asked when the packet will be sent and the lady said very soon. 

Just got the package. $20500 direct unsubsidized loans. Does anyone know about loan forgiveness? Would the years that I have already worked as a teacher in a low income school count towards the 5 years required for loan forgiveness?

Good luck everyone!

I also got that $14000 grant. How did it go for other international students?

i feel like it doesn't even begin to make a dent in the 9-month cost of Harvard...I'm grateful but thinking i'm going to have to decline...*heartbroken*

$5000 HGSE Grant... sooooo mehhhhh.

For all the HGSE grant/loan combo folk, have yall clicked over to the "Messages" tab that indicates the grants are contingent on borrowing a minimum of your loan quantity? Even if I max out that $20500, I will still have ~$42000 unmet needs!! *faints*

I got the $14,000 grant too, and I'm also an international student. I'm a little sad about not getting the Leadership in Education award, but this definitely helps. It's roughly 33% of the cost of the program, so I'm definitely not complaining!  :)

Hi Folks,

Where are you seeing the specific dollar amounts? When I click "View & Accept Your Aid Package" it brings me to an acceptance portal, but gives me no details as to what I am accepting.

I did receive a call regarding a University-wide fellowship, which is very exciting, but I'm not sure how the other pieces fit in. Thanks!

Yeah, about those financial aid awards... Is anyone else feeling like they just got hit by a bus?  Exactly where is that "Remaining need" money supposed to come from?

Yeah, about those financial aid awards... Is anyone else feeling like they just got hit by a bus?  Exactly where is that "Remaining need" money supposed to come from?

hear you loud and clear JR...

I'm sitting here pretty much numb, what now?

Do you think you will attend? I am in a similar situation. 

ltrujizzle, I'm honestly not sure.  Need some time to think about it, do the math, hunt down more funding sources.  You're probably risking less by going to Harvard than by going to a different (unfunded) program, since the resources once you get there are fantastic... but it's still a huge gamble.  (Which we all knew before applying, of course.)

Did anyone else see a Perkins loan on their award? I'm trying to understand how I got a loan for extreme need students but didn't get a higher grant amount.

Did anyone else see a Perkins loan on their award? I'm trying to understand how I got a loan for extreme need students but didn't get a higher grant amount.

I received a perkins as well with no grant

samda, I think need based grants are capped at $14,000, so if that's what you got then you're in good company.  The Facebook page shows a lot of people with that same grant.