HGSE Fall 2015

workink

I was accepted to TIE! It has been a while since I posted, so I want to thank everyone who provided information about when decisions would be made...I've been lurking for the last couple weeks reading all those posts. I was sitting in my car with my 3 year old son waiting for my wife to get out of a store when I got the email. It was torture waiting 15 minutes for her so we could read the news together, but I managed to do it. I can't even explain how I felt when I read the decision out loud! I'm very excited but trying to keep it in check until I hear about financial aid and scholarships. Congrats everyone! I'm looking forward to attending the Ed.m open house on March 27th!

Admitted!!!! Human Development and Psychology (Child Advocacy) program. Since I'm in San Francisco, flights out to admitted students day in late March are SUPER expensive. I really want to go, but not sure if I can make it due to budget, etc. Any advice or is anyone else not going? I'm planning on attending the regional admitted students event here in SF. SO EXCITED! 

Hey guys!

Has anyone been able to access the pre-matriculation site? I'm still receiving an error.

Thanks,

I've been able to access the site just fine. It only gave me that error message for the first couple of hours or so after activating my PIN.

Edited by jose_lr

I am officially going to the open house on March 27th for L&T. 

I have been all over the pre-matriculation website and am on information overload!

Hopefully will get lots of insight and answers at the open house! Is anyone else planning on going?

I am officially going to the open house on March 27th for L&T. 

I have been all over the pre-matriculation website and am on information overload!

Hopefully will get lots of insight and answers at the open house! Is anyone else planning on going?

is the admitted student directory by geography distribution already available?

many thanx.

mine is not.

Hey everybody!

This weekend has been crazy for me so I havn't had a chance to post anything...but I'M IN!!! Looks like my fortune cookie was right!! haha

Congratulations to all the other admits!!

I'll be applying to the Prevention Science and Practice Program!

I haven't been able to find too much information on this program specifically but hope to find some more information soon and talk to fellow applicants.

Did you get in? I got into HGSE's PSP and Vandebilt's M.Ed. Community Development and Action programs...what to do now... :huh:

Did you get in? I got into HGSE's PSP and Vandebilt's M.Ed. Community Development and Action programs...what to do now... :huh:

Debating between harvard and vanderbilt as well. gotta wait until harvards fin aid packet to make the decision

Debating between harvard and vanderbilt as well. gotta wait until harvards fin aid packet to make the decision

Same, guys! I had an awesome time at Vandy's visit day, and was blown away by the faculty & students in my program. Harvard aid will put things in clearer perspective, but the hardest part for me right now is balancing the idea of getting the same degree in 1 vs 2 years. Small cohort + international internship + more time at Vandy = better learning experience? ~Harvard~ + the benefits of returning to the field in 1 year = better career outcomes? So much to consider. What are other factors on yall's minds??

Also peripherally considering Penn (although I haven't been as impressed with the program format/interactions I've had with the IEDP program/aid offered). Probably going to make a master post debating these programs once my financial situation w/ Harvard is clear!

I was accepted into the TEP program and am between going to TC and HGSE! Congrats everyone!

Edited by nyed4

On 3/11/2015 at 10:34 AM, NMB said:

Same, guys! I had an awesome time at Vandy's visit day, and was blown away by the faculty & students in my program. Harvard aid will put things in clearer perspective, but the hardest part for me right now is balancing the idea of getting the same degree in 1 vs 2 years. Small cohort + international internship + more time at Vandy = better learning experience? ~Harvard~ + the benefits of returning to the field in 1 year = better career outcomes? So much to consider. What are other factors on yall's minds??

Also peripherally considering Penn (although I haven't been as impressed with the program format/interactions I've had with the IEDP program/aid offered). Probably going to make a master post debating these programs once my financial situation w/ Harvard is clear!

I'm leaning toward Vanderbilt to tell you the truth...i know it's crazy but I am soooooooo drawn by the response I've gotten from lecturers, administrative staff, students...basically everyone I've reached out to has been extremely supportive and helpful...as an international student I'm really looking for more than just a brand name.

On the other hand I literally just got a call from HGSE PSP's Program Director wishing me congratulations! So that's also quite warming.

Financial aid notices may sway it, but I've also applied for other scholarships from my government (I'm from Trinidad in the Caribbean) for full funding.

I think it may all come down to how flexible Vanderbilt's program is - I got into the M.Ed. CDA and I'm also planning on doing a Special Ed Concentration. So there's that freedom and versatility versus Harvard's rigid PSP program.

One year is great but my question is, will I get as much out of it? or will it be so rushed and intense that I lose out on some of the practicum and networking opportunities at Vanderbilt?

What do you all think?

One year is great but my question is, will I get as much out of it? or will it be so rushed and intense that I lose out on some of the practicum and networking opportunities at Vanderbilt?

What do you all think?

I got into different program, but the current student called me yesterday and we talked about this. He said the courses are very flexible in terms of selection. I can take courses at any surrounding colleges and any other schools in Harvard. He also said that it is manageable even if the program is only one year. Most students apparently have enough time to work in a lab or other settings on campus. 

Is anyone trying to decide between masters programs at HGSE and Stanford GSE? I'm specifically trying to decide between Higher Ed at Harvard vs. POLS (higher ed concentration) at Stanford and feel that each program has distinct benefits. Going into this process, Harvard was my top choice--and it more or less still is--but there are a lot of unique aspects of the POLS program that appeal to me. Anyone else making the same decision and, if so, which way are you leaning and why?

Is anyone trying to decide between masters programs at HGSE and Stanford GSE? I'm specifically trying to decide between Higher Ed at Harvard vs. POLS (higher ed concentration) at Stanford and feel that each program has distinct benefits. Going into this process, Harvard was my top choice--and it more or less still is--but there are a lot of unique aspects of the POLS program that appeal to me. Anyone else making the same decision and, if so, which way are you leaning and why?

I would suggest you think hard about program size.  I know Stanford's program is quite small for higher ed, while Harvard's is much larger.  Personally, I think the peer effects of having a good sized cohort with varying experiences, networks and skills is very valuable.  The current cohort of higher ed folks at HGSE come from literally all over the US and the world, bringing a good breadth to class discussion and informal talk at Gutman.  Also, the esprit de corps at HGSE is very palpable - in large part because of the physical spaces that enable the formation of community.  The program is large enough that you'll get exposed to a range of perspectives and backgrounds, and small enough that you won't feel completely lost in a sea of other master's students.

accepted to TEP!!!! - anyone else?! 

I was for a concentration in history! I'm between HGSE and TC right now.... we'll see...