MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Anyone have any extra info on PAFAs MFA program? I wanted to see if anyone had any information on the school from personal experience or any information from someone they know who's experieinced the program. I'm pretty sold on the school and am excited about going there, I was just trying to get as many opinions as possible. I would appreciate anything!

Long time lurker...anyone hear from Temple/Tyler for painting? I am dying! I keep checking the portal...with no luck.  :ph34r:

ugh no not yet !! the interviews seemed like forever ago too

Anyone have any extra info on PAFAs MFA program? I wanted to see if anyone had any information on the school from personal experience or any information from someone they know who's experieinced the program. I'm pretty sold on the school and am excited about going there, I was just trying to get as many opinions as possible. I would appreciate anything!

I don't really have any extra info but I was accepted to the school as well. I was highly considering it, but I am probably going to pass based on financial offers from elsewhere.

The staff's art work is so good it makes me a little sad to pass it up ;___________;.  I would be interestedin hearing info about it as well.

Hahaha, I work at Starbucks right now as a shift supervisor and after coming back from visiting VCU I was super close to just quitting my job on the spot because I felt so stir crazy. Wishing August would come faster!!

I've been creepin heavy on this forum -

Anyone hear back from UW Seattle outside the 3d4m realm?

How about RIT or Syracuse outside of Photo?

Thus far accepted to Davis - SMFA

Interviewing with Purchase - anyone else?

Hey I've heard back from Syracuse for painting- I've been accepted- and they told me I need to make an admission decision by March 20th. I don't know why you haven't been contacted yet (unless they contact the applicants they really want first, then make a decision based on who declines admission).

I haven't heard peep from the schools I applied, aside from Temple. 

When did you guys hear about your admissions decisions? I'm specifically curious about Alfred and RISD (sculpture). 

I didn't hear back from them for an interview so I'm getting increasingly nervous. 

I got into Alfred sculpture (interviews were in early february) and I had to make a decision before March 4th. Initially I was going to attend but in the end I had to decline because of money issues (tuition is free but you still have to pay for living expenses, and finding a job in such a small town is not particularly easy). I believe that Alfred asks for decisions so early so they can call people on their lists in case others decline.  

Thank you ! Thank you! It's great to hear about it.

I live in Texas so I haven't been able to really go see. I also have circumstances shall we say in which I can't really go visit . I'm honestly going in a bit blind (I know, dedicating 2 years of my life and I'm going in blind) . It sounds very exciting. Boston University was definitely one of my better choices, because of the great student work I saw (and was amazed by ).  I didn't even think I would get in.

I am a painter :) so yay!

Is there anyplace you know in which I can get in contact with other incoming or existing art students there? I would like to be able to maybe make some contacts since I live so far away (and know no one there lol).

Email their graduate coordinator and ask for willing grad student's emails. If they post their grad students profile on BU's art website, find their email and hit them up. Be proactive. Don't go in blind. You might hate the school and end up wasting your/professors time and the school's funding which would go to another student. Make an educated choice.

Long time lurker...anyone hear from Temple/Tyler for painting? I am dying! I keep checking the portal...with no luck.  :ph34r:

I got denied last week with no email, just checked on my own. I interviewed in person, emailed the program chair with a follow-up question after he said "I'd be happy to answer any additional questions over email" to no response--so not that surprising. 

Edited by grosssss

Hey I've heard back from Syracuse for painting- I've been accepted- and they told me I need to make an admission decision by March 20th. I don't know why you haven't been contacted yet (unless they contact the applicants they really want first, then make a decision based on who declines admission).

Thanks all - I applied to Syracuse for Illustration (don't expect to get in, don't really want to live in Upstate NY over Northern California). Kind of a whim for me and the only non Painting or Studio MFA I applied for. My work is pretty illustrative so I thought I would give it a shot but have a BFA in Painting and no real professional experience in illustration.

I got denied last week with no email, just checked on my own. I interviewed in person, emailed the program chair with a follow-up question after he said "I'd be happy to answer any additional questions over email" to no response--so not that surprising. 

do we check on the same page we applied? or is it through owlnet or whatever with our student ids which are temporary ?

I had my Hunter interview on the 11th. There were two people interviewing me and they were very nice. I think it went okay. They didnt ask me any questions that i wasn't prepared for. So be calm and be yourself guys =)

Madhini, I'm very sorry to hear it. I've also been waiting on word from them. Was it by email?

They sent me a link to the applyyourself page where they had posted the decision letter.Yeah, I'm hoping I get in somewhere! I hope you hear good news!

Hey everyone!  I apologize in advance that this post is a little off topic, but I've googled and haven't had much luck finding answers to my question, so I thought some on this forum might be able to offer words of advice.  

Tonight is the opening reception for my first solo show, and I've been asked by the curator to say a few words at the beginning of the event.  I'm really, really not one for public speaking so I'm just a bit nervous and I'm not entirely sure what I'm expected to say.  I've got past the usual, "Thank you all for coming, it's a pleasure to share my work with you, etc..." kind of thing, but I'm unsure how much I'm expected to talk about my work.  Do people usually give a little bio info and then speak about the work that's being shown?  How in depth would you suggest I go in terms of contextual underpinnings, process, etc?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone as we come closer to the end of this application season!   

Email their graduate coordinator and ask for willing grad student's emails. If they post their grad students profile on BU's art website, find their email and hit them up. Be proactive. Don't go in blind. You might hate the school and end up wasting your/professors time and the school's funding which would go to another student. Make an educated choice..

I've started emailing some of the students already. It's still hard though because I can't really physically see the place and am only hearing testimony. I am sort of convinced that most places are good depending on what you make of them.

I'm the type of person that makes the best of any experience, and I doubt I'm going to hate it....It would have to be pretty darn awful for me to hate it. 

But you're right it's important to be proactive :).

In my case it's really better to be at any good school that has the best funding for me.

Thank you for the advice!

Hey everyone!  I apologize in advance that this post is a little off topic, but I've googled and haven't had much luck finding answers to my question, so I thought some on this forum might be able to offer words of advice.  

Tonight is the opening reception for my first solo show, and I've been asked by the curator to say a few words at the beginning of the event.  I'm really, really not one for public speaking so I'm just a bit nervous and I'm not entirely sure what I'm expected to say.  I've got past the usual, "Thank you all for coming, it's a pleasure to share my work with you, etc..." kind of thing, but I'm unsure how much I'm expected to talk about my work.  Do people usually give a little bio info and then speak about the work that's being shown?  How in depth would you suggest I go in terms of contextual underpinnings, process, etc?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to everyone as we come closer to the end of this application season!   

I would give advice, but I am currently only working on my senior exhibition talks. At my school each student has to give a short talk on their work. I'm not sure if 'BFA artist talk' is really the same as an 'outside of school' artists talk. The woman who teaches our senior ex class is very knowlegeable though, and I trust her to not let us give dumb amateur talks.

We kind of just go over the main ideas of what the work is about . I would only give a bio if it's essential to your art work. LIke maybe your work has a lot to do with rural areas and you say you grew up on a farm (just an examples) . If the bio stuff isnt' relevant I wouldn't mention much of it. You can sort of say who you are.

If you forget anything usually they allow the people who came to ask questions at the end I think?

Just don't freak out and think about what you would want to tell someone your work is about.