2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Hi guys, congrats to everyone who was accepted!!  :) I'm new to this board (although i've been lurking this thread for a while now!) and I've been thinking about applying to the SLP programs after I graduate. I'm going into my fourth year and I still have to take linguistics, phonetics, and anatomy as prerequisites.

I was planning on taking intro to linguistics in the summer. Do you think the admissions committee would care if I took this in the summer as opposed to during the school year? I'm asking because I know some professional masters programs don't take summer courses into account. 

Thanks!

Hi guys, congrats to everyone who was accepted!!  :) I'm new to this board (although i've been lurking this thread for a while now!) and I've been thinking about applying to the SLP programs after I graduate. I'm going into my fourth year and I still have to take linguistics, phonetics, and anatomy as prerequisites.

I was planning on taking intro to linguistics in the summer. Do you think the admissions committee would care if I took this in the summer as opposed to during the school year? I'm asking because I know some professional masters programs don't take summer courses into account. 

Thanks!

Not at all! I took my phonetics prereq in the summer :) summer courses are taken into account

Hi! Does anyone have any info on the Speech and Language Sciences Certificate at Brock University? For example, is it a distance learning or on-campus program? What are the course sequences for each semester? Etc.? I couldn't find anything about it on their website. Thanks in advance!

Hi! Does anyone have any info on the Speech and Language Sciences Certificate at Brock University? For example, is it a distance learning or on-campus program? What are the course sequences for each semester? Etc.? I couldn't find anything about it on their website. Thanks in advance!

See the link below.  It is not a distance program.  It's an on-campus program.  You take 5 courses each semester. Two semesters.

http://brocku.ca/webcal/undergrad/apli.html#sec24 

I would do some research on what the grad schools are needing for their prerequisites. I did take the 1 year certificate at Brock because my undergrad is in an unrelated field. It definitely helped me aquire most of the prerequisites; however I was still missing one for U of Alberta (which I could take online through Athabasca U) and I didn't have all the prerequisites for UBC.

See the link below.  It is not a distance program.  It's an on-campus program.  You take 5 courses each semester. Two semesters.

http://brocku.ca/webcal/undergrad/apli.html#sec24

I would do some research on what the grad schools are needing for their prerequisites. I did take the 1 year certificate at Brock because my undergrad is in an unrelated field. It definitely helped me aquire most of the prerequisites; however I was still missing one for U of Alberta (which I could take online through Athabasca U) and I didn't have all the prerequisites for UBC.

Thank you, Persis and OntarioSLP! :)

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time lurker of this thread and figured it was time to start an account.

I've been accepted to U of T for slp. Do I have any fellow peers looking for a roommate? Also, any advice on finding an apartment in Toronto that is decently close to school and not an outrageous price would be appreciated. My quick kijiji searches for an apartment are scaring me... haha!

Hey guys, just thought I'd ask about letters of reference- how did you go about getting reference letters from profs if you haven't done any research? I'm looking at doing the one year program at Brock and want to get to know profs to get some better reference letters. 

Hey guys, just thought I'd ask about letters of reference- how did you go about getting reference letters from profs if you haven't done any research? I'm looking at doing the one year program at Brock and want to get to know profs to get some better reference letters. 

A big thing for me was going to office hours or just talking to them here and there after class or through email. Whether it be to discuss how you should go about an assignment, to review subject matter, or just to introduce yourself, they'll acknowledge that you're going the extra distance to do well in their class and that you are dedicated. Also, if possible, if any of them have research labs offering to lend a hand was a big help for me. I started as a volunteer in my professor's lab and ended up being hired as her assistant. Just getting to know your profs is super helpful! Talk to them and do well in their class and they'll be more than happy to write you a letter. 

Hello, 

If anyone is looking for a roommate in Toronto, I would love to chat. I have been accepted to U of T and am having trouble trying to find a place!

Send me a message :)

Thanks!

Does this make sense to anyone?

If a course is repeated, and both the original course and the repeated course are within the last 20 half courses, then the grades from both courses will be included in the GPA calculation. If you did poorly in a course in first year and then took it again in fourth year, then only the fourth year mark would count towards your GPA.

I do not get how this is logical. So generally if you want to redo a course that is affecting your last 10 full courses, don't bother. Has anyone endured this? My friend spent a year redoing a couple of courses only to find this out. That was money down the drain!

Yah I emailed them a couple of days ago to ask about my application, and apparently I was supposed to receive a rejection email on April 28. So at least I know now, I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

JUST GOT INTO WESTERN OFF THE WAITING LIST!!!!

Congrats! I'm on the waiting list for Western as well but was starting to lose hope! Do you ever ask your position on the waiting list before you were accepted??

Congrats! I'm on the waiting list for Western as well but was starting to lose hope! Do you ever ask your position on the waiting list before you were accepted??

Thank you! I had completely lost hope, so don't give up yet! I called right at the beginning of April and all Janet could tell me was that I was in the top half of the waiting list. Hope that helps :)