Fall 2015 Applicants

Hey past and present CSU MSW applicants,

I was accepted into CSUDH which I'd be happy to attend but I have to a week to accept. I'm on pending for CSULB and have yet to hear from CSULA. I'm ready to go for the MSW already but would prefer CSULB (where I got my undergrad) and CSULA (for the forensic program).

So my question is, does anyone have experience with accepting admission until you hear back from other preferred schools? Would I be able to withdraw if accepted somewhere else or would that be shooting myself in the foot later? I have a week to make a decision and I'm totally lost. Help!

I think you are able to ask for an extension. You can also reach out to the schools to see where you stand.

Hi everyone,

I recently got my acceptances to Penn, Pitt, and UMich.  The decision is not as easy as I thought it would be.  I live near Penn and have been meeting current/former students from the SP2 program, and I visited Pitt last week and am scheduled to visit UMich in 2 weeks.  Right now, they all stand out to me for different reasons...

Any current students of any of these schools have a solid reason they chose their program over another?  Ultimately, it's up to me of course, but the more research I do and the more opinions I hear, the better. I hope.

How was your visit to PITT? I just was invited to come visit in March and its fully paid by the school, but I'm still undecided.

How did you find out how much was offered? Can you check online or was it sent in the mail? (I was accepted 1/22)

I receieved a letter in the mail on Feb 13. I've been meaning to ask PITT if there is a way to check online because I don't have a legit UPITT account yet. You should be recieving something very soon. They said the scholaships should be sent out by Feb 15th.

How was your visit to PITT? I just was invited to come visit in March and its fully paid by the school, but I'm still undecided.

I loved my visit!  I was unsure about Pitt - I think it was my 3rd choice before the visit - but my time there made me fall in love (which is saying a lot with the subzero temps and snowstorm!)  I hope you have a great visit! I definitely recommend it.

I was accepted into CSUDH which I'd be happy to attend but I have to a week to accept. I'm on pending for CSULB and have yet to hear from CSULA. I'm ready to go for the MSW already but would prefer CSULB (where I got my undergrad) and CSULA (for the forensic program). 

So my question is, does anyone have experience with accepting admission until you hear back from other preferred schools? Would I be able to withdraw if accepted somewhere else or would that be shooting myself in the foot later? I have a week to make a decision and I'm totally lost. Help! 

Like someone else mentioned, ask for an extension. I did this about 2 weeks ago, because I was waiting for a specific school. It definitely works. Just say you're really interested in their program still but you have received offers from x,y, and z, and you were wondering if you could get an extension? Usually this buys you another 2 weeks to a month. I'd email them sooner rather than later though. 

Yes, you can withdraw later. They may not like it, but not much they can do about it. Hopefully it's not a school that asks for a deposit up front.

Hi! I haven't heard yet. When did you submit your app? I didn't until Jan. 7th. Also, did it show up under messages?

Thanks!

I don't think I submitted it until like January 15th because I was waiting until I had my degree posted on my transcript to send. It was not under messages. I got an e-mail that said that my admissions decision was available and provided a link to the application. The decision link is then posted below all the rest of your application recap, like "GRE received, Transcripts received."

During my interview with UPenn, the interviewer told me that technically there is a law that all schools must give you until April 15 to accept admission. NYU tried to tell me I only had a couple weeks to decide - I emailed them asking for more time, and they said it was no problem (now I know they had to give me more time). Penn also cited this code in my acceptance letter. So you should definitely ask for more time! Just be polite and professional about it, of course. 

Has anyone heard back from UPITT with a merit based scholarship? I'm just curious to know what the average amount is.

I got a letter in the mail a couple days ago saying I was awarded $5,000 a semester in merit based scholarships. It's not a lot, but it is definitely better than nothing! 

Excited to share I was accepted into Michigan State University's MSW program! It's the only one I applied to, due to the flexibility of their hybrid program. Big thanks to this community for helping me stay positive while I was waiting for the decision. 

Has anyone heard back from UPITT with a merit based scholarship? I'm just curious to know what the average amount is.

I got 5,000 a semester, so 10,000 for the year (which doesn't sound like much, but definitely makes it my cheapest option, now)

I don't think I submitted it until like January 15th because I was waiting until I had my degree posted on my transcript to send. It was not under messages. I got an e-mail that said that my admissions decision was available and provided a link to the application. The decision link is then posted below all the rest of your application recap, like "GRE received, Transcripts received."

During my interview with UPenn, the interviewer told me that technically there is a law that all schools must give you until April 15 to accept admission. NYU tried to tell me I only had a couple weeks to decide - I emailed them asking for more time, and they said it was no problem (now I know they had to give me more time). Penn also cited this code in my acceptance letter. So you should definitely ask for more time! Just be polite and professional about it, of course.