Fall 2015 Applicants

@mswgal and @jalapeno_bagel, the interview was really relaxed, there was 7 of us plus the interviewer. The questions were pretty simple and straight forward. I was pretty nervous regardless because I am just a nervous person lol, and I'm not really sure how it went. I really think it could go either way for me. But we'll see. The questions were about expectations of grad school, why hunter, what constructive criticism you have experienced in the field, and just overall your experience thus far in social work. There was also a writing sample and it talked about social welfare implications of police harassment in a certain community and the steps they are taking to address it.

thanks so much for the info! i'm sure you were great and you will get accepted. were there any advanced standing applicants in your interview?

nope. If you applied by January 15th they mailed out decision letters yesterday. Hopefully this week depending on where you live

I did, and on my portal it says decision mailed but i still haven't gotten anything yet! i'm in philadelphia so I was expecting something today. the wait is brutal, i don't know why they didn't post decisions online.

Congrats! Is that your top choice? I applied to the same program too actually. Mind sharing any stats? All I was told is that I'd hear back by the end of March but I can't wait that long lol

I was aiming for CSULB but I was put on the "pending list" I went there as an undergrad and I enjoyed it. However, I am good with CSULA because I had heard about their forensic concentration. I think CSULB and LA are on the same rank but I do like CSULB's campus better in my opinion.  

My GPA is not the greatest 3.4. I am currently in the social services field as a case manager for homeless vets and been doing it for almost two years. Previous to that I worked at a school district with special-ed. I have a few years of volunteer experience working with formally incarcerated, internship at the probation dept, youth mentoring, and art workshops for at-risk youth in an art studio. My current job now has been the one that has taught me the most. We have interns here from USC and CSULB working with the same population either teaching classes or one-on-one therapy so I been drilling them with all kinds of questions. 

Edited by Dona_Junta

@mswgal and @jalapeno_bagel, the interview was really relaxed, there was 7 of us plus the interviewer. The questions were pretty simple and straight forward. I was pretty nervous regardless because I am just a nervous person lol, and I'm not really sure how it went. I really think it could go either way for me. But we'll see. The questions were about expectations of grad school, why hunter, what constructive criticism you have experienced in the field, and just overall your experience thus far in social work. There was also a writing sample and it talked about social welfare implications of police harassment in a certain community and the steps they are taking to address it.

That's awesome, I'm sure you were great. It's irritating that they make it a group interview, that automatically makes me more nervous - though sometimes it can be a nice reminder that YOU are ALSO a qualified candidate. Curious to see how the whole Skype thing goes, I wish it were sooner. Has anyone heard from UW Seattle yet? 

I was aiming for CSULB but I was put on the "pending list" I went there as an undergrad and I enjoyed it. However, I am good with CSULA because I had heard about their forensic concentration. I think CSULB and LA are on the same rank but I do like CSULB's campus better in my opinion.

My GPA is not the greatest 3.4. I am currently in the social services field as a case manager for homeless vets and been doing it for almost two years. Previous to that I worked at a school district with special-ed. I have a few years of volunteer experience working with formally incarcerated, internship at the probation dept, youth mentoring, and art workshops for at-risk youth in an art studio. My current job now has been the one that has taught me the most. We have interns here from USC and CSULB working with the same population either teaching classes or one-on-one therapy so I been drilling them with all kinds of questions.

Thanks so much. I'm in the same boat actually (minus the csula acceptance). I went to csulb for my undergrad and would love to go back for my masters but the forensics concentration is more aligned with my interests. I'm also pending with CSULB though and have been accepted by CSUDH.

When did you turn in your app for csula?

That's awesome, I'm sure you were great. It's irritating that they make it a group interview, that automatically makes me more nervous - though sometimes it can be a nice reminder that YOU are ALSO a qualified candidate. Curious to see how the whole Skype thing goes, I wish it were sooner. Has anyone heard from UW Seattle yet? 

haven't heard from UW seattle, but on their "new msw students" page, the entering MSW cohort FB pages have been updated to reflect the 2015-2016 school year, which is a recent change (I am WAY too observant when i'm anxious lol). i'm assuming this means we'll be hearing back very soon!!!!!

Thanks so much. I'm in the same boat actually (minus the csula acceptance). I went to csulb for my undergrad and would love to go back for my masters but the forensics concentration is more aligned with my interests. I'm also pending with CSULB though and have been accepted by CSUDH.

When did you turn in your app for csula?

I turned in my app for CSULA literally a few days before the deadline of January 15th! super late status...I also applied for CSUDH but I have not heard back. I submitted that one like a month before the deadline. They did mention I was missing a human development class but if I am chosen I can take it in the summer. Do you know how many spaces CSUDH has? 

Edited by Dona_Junta

I was accepted into CSULB's 1 year program, and I plan on attending, however I've never been to LB before or the campus. You said you went there undergrad? How is area, are there a lot of things to do? Are you aware of any student apartments in the area?:) 

I was accepted into CSULB's 1 year program, and I plan on attending, however I've never been to LB before or the campus. You said you went there undergrad? How is area, are there a lot of things to do? Are you aware of any student apartments in the area?:)

Hey there!

Not who you asked but also went to csulb for my undergrad. I can't speak on the apartment situation but I can expand a bit on the area. It's in a residential area so it doesn't have the party school vibe if that's what you're looking for. You're only a few minutes away from the beach which is great and there's plenty of things to do at the pier. Downtown is nice too with it's share of bars,clubs, and restaurants so you're not top far from night life. The campus itself is huge. About 30k students I believe. It's well maintained and students and professors are friendly. Overall it's a good casual environment. I enjoyed it so much I hope to be back for an MSW. It really is a great school :)

I turned in my app for CSULA literally a few days before the deadline of January 15th! super late status...I also applied for CSUDH but I have not heard back. I submitted that one like a month before the deadline. They did mention I was missing a human development class but if I am chosen I can take it in the summer. Do you know how many spaces CSUDH has?

Eek. Well I turned in my LA app in December so maybe it's not looking to good unfortunately but I'll wait til the end of March before I get upset haha.

I don't know how many spaces they have available at csudh but I applied early October and was accepted just last week so it seems they take a while. Considering csula is a bit more selective, I imagine you'll receive your acceptance for csudh soon too :)

I was accepted into CSULB's 1 year program, and I plan on attending, however I've never been to LB before or the campus. You said you went there undergrad? How is area, are there a lot of things to do? Are you aware of any student apartments in the area? :)

The area is good, like Teem89 said it is residential with a ton of apartments that students live in all around the school. Parking sucks though and there is traffic most of the day due to the school and the hospital/businesses next door. If you do have a car there are plenty of other chill towns nearby, San Pedro, Carson, Lakewood, etc but LB is big so there are options. The campus is huge and taken care of, but yes it can feel crowded at times. However, I think classes for the program are on days undergrads are not really there I know Friday for sure. 

Actually I am yet to recieve my admission letter, had a word with theresa, she told me letter has been dispatched and it should reach soon, it was 5 days back I am wondering when will I recieve it. How long after the admit did you recieve your packet?

I received it about 3 weeks later. I don't think you will have to wait that long though!

Accepted into UPenn today! I had a 3.2 GPA, so there's hope for everyone as long as you write a compelling personal statement, have decent extracurriculars, and interview well! Woohoo! I'll post again once I find out about financial aid and scholarship offers. :)

The area is good, like Teem89 said it is residential with a ton of apartments that students live in all around the school. Parking sucks though and there is traffic most of the day due to the school and the hospital/businesses next door. If you do have a car there are plenty of other chill towns nearby, San Pedro, Carson, Lakewood, etc but LB is big so there are options. The campus is huge and taken care of, but yes it can feel crowded at times. However, I think classes for the program are on days undergrads are not really there I know Friday for sure. 

Thanks! This helps alot ! 

Hey there!

Not who you asked but also went to csulb for my undergrad. I can't speak on the apartment situation but I can expand a bit on the area. It's in a residential area so it doesn't have the party school vibe if that's what you're looking for. You're only a few minutes away from the beach which is great and there's plenty of things to do at the pier. Downtown is nice too with it's share of bars,clubs, and restaurants so you're not top far from night life. The campus itself is huge. About 30k students I believe. It's well maintained and students and professors are friendly. Overall it's a good casual environment. I enjoyed it so much I hope to be back for an MSW. It really is a great school :)

Thank you!