Fall 2015 Applicants

I was wondering, did anyone apply to the advanced standing program at U of M? If you did, did it say in your decision on Wolverine Access anything about being accepted into the Advanced Standing program? Mine says I was accepted into the MSW program, and I'm wondering if this means Advanced Standing, being that that is what I applied for. Please reply if you know!! :)
Edited by flinn1mk

I received an email from UW Seattle about financial aid, but nothing yet about my admissions decision - weird? The email just says they have received my financial aid app, and what to do when admitted...Has anyone else heard from them? 

I received the same email! It made my heart jump out of my chest :( There is a PDF on the MSW admissions page with updates saying that early decision applicants will hear back by the end of February while people who applied to the regular deadline will hear back by the end of March.

I received an email from UW Seattle about financial aid, but nothing yet about my admissions decision - weird? The email just says they have received my financial aid app, and what to do when admitted...Has anyone else heard from them? 

Hi jalapeno_bagel,

Did the email begin with this:

"We have received your financial aid application for the 2015-16 year. If

you are a continuing student or are admitted to the UW, and are eligible

for aid, your application will go through a review process.  We may ask

you to provide information before or after we offer you aid.  Please

respond promptly to every request.  Once we have awarded you aid, we

will send you an award notice via email."? 

If so, I received it, too! Puzzling.

My impression is the Financial Aid department is seprate and independent (theoretically) of the Social Work/Admissions department.

FAFSA sends out info to all the schools entered in your FAFSA application.

So my guess is some schools start estimating & preparing financial aid packages to all applicants early on, rather than wait until hearing from the admissions commitee respectively.   Which sort of makes sense because students typically want to make decisions on what schools they will attend, and it would help if the financial aid info was available sooner rather than later.

The email includes the conditional "If you...are admitted to the UW...your application will go through a review process."  So the financial aid department may not know yet if you're admitted, but they may want to get a head start to ensure your financial aid application is complete and ready (e.g. they have all the info they need, such as tax returns, etc...).

Also, to the people who have heard back from Smith - did you really get a letter in the mail? How long ago did you apply? And did your admissions letter tell you where your field placement will be? Thanks!

Yes. January. Yes.

Hi everyone! I am a current MSW first year student at SJSU. I was accepted Fall 2014. I was once in your position, anxiously waiting for acceptance to one of the 3 schools I applied. I told myself I would return to this thread once in the program to answer any questions but I'm more informed about my program at SJSU!

FEEL free to email me:

Kalidiana18@yahoo.com

I have posted in the:

"SJSU MSW FALL 2015" thread.

Best of luck to every one of you.

Just received this from the University of Chicago (Social Work, PhD) I've blanked out all names.

Dear ______,

I am writing to let you know that you have been placed on a very short waiting list for the SSA PhD program. You will be receiving an official letter soon from ______ _____ in the admissions office.

The doctoral admissions committee saw many strengths in your application and is convinced that you are highly qualified to be a PhD student at SSA.  ______ ____________, in particular, gave us an enthusiastic endorsement of your application.  However, there was much competition this year from applicants with strong backgrounds in social work practice, policy, and research.

About half the time we are able to make admissions offers from the waiting list.  I won’t know how likely that is this year until late March or early April.  I would be happy to set up a meeting to talk with you, if you would find that helpful.

Hello! I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join! I had my Penn in person interview in LA last week and I think it went well. Has any heard from Penn or have any info on how generous they are with their grants?

thanks!

Has anyone heard back from UPITT with a merit based scholarship? I'm just curious to know what the average amount is.

I'm not applying until this fall, but also curious as to how much the early scholarship usually is! I am out of state btw.

Good luck everyone :)

I'm not applying until this fall, but also curious as to how much the early scholarship usually is! I am out of state btw.

Good luck everyone :)

I'm out of state also and I was offered $16,000 for the year. I personally thought it was a very generous scholarship.

I'm out of state also and I was offered $16,000 for the year. I personally thought it was a very generous scholarship.

Thanks! Someone else told me they got $26,000, but $16,000 is super generous for out of state! I'm only applying to state schools and plan to apply for residency for my 2nd year anyway. I'm hoping to go to school in a warm state so I can stay there :)

Future SJSU MSW students:

Please "LIKE" and JOIN

https://www.facebook.com/SJSU.SWGSA

to stay up to date with the latest changes to our MSW program.

There's a high chance our program will be reduced in accepting only 60 STUDENTS for Fall 2015!!

Join page to follow latest news!!

Thanks, and best of luck to you all

Thanks! Someone else told me they got $26,000, but $16,000 is super generous for out of state! I'm only applying to state schools and plan to apply for residency for my 2nd year anyway. I'm hoping to go to school in a warm state so I can stay there :)

Oh wow $26,000 is really good. That person must have been a stellar applicant!

Hello! I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join! I had my Penn in person interview in LA last week and I think it went well. Has any heard from Penn or have any info on how generous they are with their grants?

thanks!

I was accepted to Upenn about a week and a half after my interview - they both emailed me to check my admissions decision letter online, and called me on the phone. They gave me $20,000 total, for the two years. 

Hi there! 

I've been checking here from day to day anxiously awaiting my decisions letters! I just wanted to know if anyone has heard from Columbia yet? I've been accepted to NYU, which I am really excited about, but Columbia is my #1 choice, either way, I'm happy with NYU.

Applied NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Rutgers

Accepted: NYU (1/14)