Fall 2015 Applicants

Hey guys. I was accepted to DU for the advanced standing program via accept/decline buttons on Jan 13th. Received the letter about a week afterwards. Really excited because DU is my top choice. Will be taking a road trip up to Denver at the end of February to visit the campus and look for housing. If anyone has advice or tips for moving to Denver please shoot me a message. I'm coming from Alabama so any help would be appreciated !

Good luck everyone !!

Holy smokes! The pressure is on. I have been checking my application like crazy...Still no changes. Read_books, did anything on your online portal change to suggest you didn't get in before you got your letter?

No, the portal remained the same looking.

I'm not competitive at all though, I honestly just said well... shit, here's a hail mary shot! So if you haven't gotten a letter I bet you passed to next round.

Hey all,

I've been checking this thread almost daily to see other people's application statuses at Rutgers, Columbia, and UPenn (I applied to those three places).

My undergrad stats are pretty bad. I have a 3.2, but I think my performance in Stats will help my Columbia application, because they specifically ask for your grade in Stats (I got an A-).

Yesterday I scheduled an interview via Skype with UPenn. I am quite surprised that I got an interview, but I think my personal statement and high school/SAT scores (which I included on my resume) probably helped (I got a 2100, had a 4.07, and was in the top 10% of my graduating class of >500 students). So, I think that there is hope to apply to these MSW programs even if you mess up in undergrad.

Does anyone have any tips about the UPenn interview?

Best of luck to all.

Sincerely,

Ritvik

To those of you who have heard back from DU, when did you apply? My application was completed on 1/9, so I assume that's why I haven't heard back yet, but reading about all of you who have gotten accepted is making me anxious! Right now my application reads "Application status: Complete/Ready for review, Decision: Not Available." Where are the Accept/Decline buttons supposed to show up, at the bottom of the page?

To those of you who have heard back from DU, when did you apply? My application was completed on 1/9, so I assume that's why I haven't heard back yet, but reading about all of you who have gotten accepted is making me anxious! Right now my application reads "Application status: Complete/Ready for review, Decision: Not Available." Where are the Accept/Decline buttons supposed to show up, at the bottom of the page?

Your application is still being reviewed. When the application status says "Complete" that is when you know a decision has been made. If accepted and the application status states Complete, the buttons will appear. If the application status states Complete and the buttons do not appear, you have been wait listed or denied. The worst part is not having the buttons appear and waiting on a letter in the mail with the final decision. I was denied from University of Denver (even though my GPA was a 3.3 from two years ago and I have a strong background of experience in the field) and called admissions to speak with them regarding why I was denied. DU relies heavily on GPA to go up in rankings....as they even stated in the information session. DU was my dream school BUT I was accepted to University of Michigan...the number one school for MSW...so I figure that it is their loss. Everything happens for a reason! Plus A LOT of people applied to DU this year due to certain laws making certain things legal and the growth rate for the city of Denver! I wish you the best of luck and if you get in, have the most amazing time in Denver, it is an amazing city. 

Hey guys. I was accepted to DU for the advanced standing program via accept/decline buttons on Jan 13th. Received the letter about a week afterwards. Really excited because DU is my top choice. Will be taking a road trip up to Denver at the end of February to visit the campus and look for housing. If anyone has advice or tips for moving to Denver please shoot me a message. I'm coming from Alabama so any help would be appreciated !

Good luck everyone !!

Oh Denver is an amazing city!!! You are very lucky to be moving there! Housing close to the school is pretty expensive. If you look closer to LowDo you will find more students and cheaper housing. Also, Denver has amazing public transportation so getting from there to campus is not bad. LowDo is quite the experience, actually all of Denver is quite a different world. VERY active and low key area. Working for the state...not going to happen BUT working for non-profits is expanding greatly! Denver is booming right now so housing is expensive but employment is great! Best of luck to you and I am VERY jealous. 

Double Ugh! Anyone who applied to UIC, did your references have any issues with the uploading software? I guess it doesn't support documents from Apple or Mac, I just checked my portal and saw that one of my recommendations didn't register. I called admissions and spoke to the directer, and he is allowing my professor to email him the recommendation, but it has to be in before tomorrow afternoon (good thing I was able to get a hold of her this afternoon, she is retired and now out of the country so I got super lucky, Hallelujah). I'm just hoping this doesn't affect my eligibility. 

Just a heads up to everyone that applied to UIC, double check your portal before tomorrow afternoon to make sure everything looks good to go. 

Hey all,

I've been checking this thread almost daily to see other people's application statuses at Rutgers, Columbia, and UPenn (I applied to those three places).

My undergrad stats are pretty bad. I have a 3.2, but I think my performance in Stats will help my Columbia application, because they specifically ask for your grade in Stats (I got an A-).

Yesterday I scheduled an interview via Skype with UPenn. I am quite surprised that I got an interview, but I think my personal statement and high school/SAT scores (which I included on my resume) probably helped (I got a 2100, had a 4.07, and was in the top 10% of my graduating class of >500 students). So, I think that there is hope to apply to these MSW programs even if you mess up in undergrad.

Does anyone have any tips about the UPenn interview?

Best of luck to all.

Sincerely,

Ritvik

I had my Upenn Skype interview on Monday, and it went really well! I was interviewed by an alum who now works in admissions and teaches an elective course in the MSW program. It felt like a pretty typical interview - she asked me to elaborate and provide more of a narrative about my work experience and why I'm interested in the field. Pretty laid back, lasted an hour. She also provided me with a lot of information about the program etc. At the end of the interview, she told me that she is giving me a strong recommendation for admission - now she gives her notes to the faculty and they are supposed to let me know within two weeks.

Good luck! 

Hey everyone, I've been following these threads for a bit. I just wanted to share that I got into CSULB. Good luck to everyone.

Hey, congrats!

Mind sharing some stats? When did you turn in your application? How did they notify you? Again, congrats! :)

Accepted at CSUDH and pending with CSULB....I'm going with CSUDH for the Fall.

Congratulations!

I applied there early October but haven't heard back:(

When did you apply and how did they notify you?

Congratulations!

I applied there early October but haven't heard back:(

When did you apply and how did they notify you?

I applied early October as well, with everything (CSU application and program packets). I called CSUDH to see my status and was informed I was sent a letter. CSULB sent me an email stating I'm pending.

I have extra letters of recommendation that were sent in. Now, I am hearing that this is a horrible idea and I'm freaking out.

Can you elaborate?  Why are extra letters so horrible? 

Is it because schools receive hundreds of applications and have enough to read as is?

Or is it perceived as unfair to other students who just submitted three?

Or is it viewed as not following instructions?

Or something else? Thanks!

Hey all,

I started looking at these forums a few weeks ago and just got time to post! 

Last week I got an email that I was put on "pending" status at CSULB! Hoping to get some good news from any of the schools soon! 

Anyone heard from NYU? What did/does your application/the albert system look like or say? It's been about 8 weeks for me (and the say the aim for 4-8 weeks)... just wondering!

This thread is awesome! I look forward to sharing the ups and downs with you all over the next few months!

Can you elaborate?  Why are extra letters so horrible? 

Is it because schools receive hundreds of applications and have enough to read as is?

Or is it perceived as unfair to other students who just submitted three?

Or is it viewed as not following instructions?

Or something else? Thanks!

There probably isn't a hard and fast rule but it really probably boils down to the particular school/adcomm/day/how busy they are that season/etc. I can't imagine that one extra would hurt anyone's app, but if someone sent like three or four extra….that could be excessive. 

I think the big thing is that if they are strict about their LOR limit, and someone has sent in 4 or 5 instead of just 3 (or whatever the limit for that particular school is) - they may choose to ignore some of the letters outside of the limit. And then in that case they may end up not reading the strong ones/happen to read less strong ones/whatever the case may be. 

Hey all,

I started looking at these forums a few weeks ago and just got time to post! 

Last week I got an email that I was put on "pending" status at CSULB! Hoping to get some good news from any of the schools soon! 

Anyone heard from NYU? What did/does your application/the albert system look like or say? It's been about 8 weeks for me (and the say the aim for 4-8 weeks)... just wondering!

This thread is awesome! I look forward to sharing the ups and downs with you all over the next few months!

I got into NYU - I applied on January 4 and they told me it would take 4-6 weeks to process. Then they sent me an acceptance email 10 days later. I was very surprised, I wasn't expecting to hear back from any programs so quickly. I'm not sure what the albert system looked like, because after I applied and before I was accepted, they sent me an email with a new "Net ID" to monitor my app. Honestly I wasn't  checking anything because I was traveling outside of the country, happened to connect to wifi at a hostel and see the email. You might be able to contact someone there if it's nearing the end of the window they gave you? Good luck! 

Good luck to everyone! I visited the UT-Austin "My Status" page and learned that I got accepted. Very excited, and surprised that I heard back this early. I do plan to defer for a year so that I can move to Texas and establish residency. (I plan to settle permanently in Texas.)