Fall 2015 Applicants

Hi Everyone!

I am only applying to one school ---CSU East Bay.  I just moved to the east bay and I love it too much to leave and I want my MSW sooner rather than later.  I also cannot afford to not work full time as a student, and CSU East Bay offers a great part time program.  Let me know if any of you are applying to their part time program!  It'd be great to hear from other CSU East Bay applicants! 

Anywho!  

I have a quick question about the application.  Overall, I think I'll be a decent applicant.  I volunteered at a women's center during college, then got hired at a women's shelter right after I graduated and was a case manager for 2 years. I then worked as a mental health counselor for children with unique behavioral needs (HARDEST job I've ever had) and now I work as a "Social Worker/Case Manager" for a mentoring program that helps children in foster care and children of prisoners.  Also, my GPA is strong.  What I'd like advice on are the letters of recommendation!  Some people say the standard is 2 academics (professors, etc) and 1 professional (supervisors, etc).  What do you all think?  My application is due in January and I am very late in the game compared to all of you!  Haha, but I figured you would have some good advice about LORs so any thoughts are appreciated :)

Good luck to everyone applying!!! Cheers to future MSWs!!! 

Hi Everyone :-)

So I have been narrowing my schools down and I have decided to apply to Cal State Eastbay, SFSU, SJSU, and Sac State. The application periods haven't opened up yet, but I am working on my personal statements, contacting my LOR people, and compiling my resume. I feel incredibly late in the game..but hopefully I'll get in somewhere..is anyone gearing up for applying to MSW programs?

studentmamasf

I'm also applying to SJSU.  Really looking like my best option location and ranking-wise currently.  Also applying to other social work schools in Chicago, where I am from. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :) !

I'm applying to two schools this year, San Diego State and Cal State Fullerton. 

Experience; 5+ years of continuous volunteer work at 4 different sites (most frequent one was at a high school at the local school district), and just early this month I started a job at the same school district as a special education para-educator.

Education; Psychology major (AA & BA) -- 3 years community college GPA ~ 3.7, 2 years at university for remaining of undergrad (transfer course work) GPA ~ 3.15 [pretty low I know :mellow: , I went through some difficult times while away at the university]. Accumulated undegrad GPA: 3.41 -- GPA last 60 units: 3.2

I just took the GRE (only need the writing score for SDSU), waiting on my score to be posted.

Kind of stressed out as 2 of my references are holding me up from sending my application for SDSU which is due on Dec., 14th. -- I really hope that I make the deadline as SDSU is my top choice. I would be so bummed if I didn't get it because I missed the deadline.  :unsure:

Wishing luck to all of you fellow applicants in the process!! We can do it!!! :D  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sh!z

Hi everyone :) !

I'm applying to two schools this year, San Diego State and Cal State Fullerton. 

Experience; 5+ years of continuous volunteer work at 4 different sites (most frequent one was at a high school at the local school district), and just early this month I started a job at the same school district as a special education para-educator.

Education; Psychology major (AA & BA) -- 3 years community college GPA ~ 3.7, 2 years at university for remaining of undergrad (transfer course work) GPA ~ 3.15 [pretty low I know :mellow: , I went through some difficult times while away at the university]. Accumulated undegrad GPA: 3.41 -- GPA last 60 units: 3.2

I just took the GRE (only need the writing score for SDSU), waiting on my score to be posted.

Kind of stressed out as 2 of my references are holding me up from sending my application for SDSU which is due on Dec., 14th. -- I really hope that I made the deadline as SDSU is my top choice. I would be so bummed if I didn't get it because I missed the deadline.  :unsure:

Wishing luck to all of you fellow applicants in the process!! We can do it!!! :D  :rolleyes:

Im also applying to SDSU, and am waiting formy references. You have really great stats, mine are nearly as good as yours. I bet you will get in! SDSU is my first choice.

Im also applying to SDSU, and am waiting formy references. You have really great stats, mine are nearly as good as yours. I bet you will get in! SDSU is my first choice.

Good luck to you!! And thank you!! I'm sure that you will be accepted too :) !!

Hi Everyone!

I'm only applying to Cal State San Marcos. It's a very new program and still in candidacy for accreditation, but I live in the town and we're tied to the area and I really don't want to do an online program. I'm doing my undergrad online through a different CSU, and while I love it, I really want to be in class making connections and since next year my youngest child is entering school I'll have a little more freedom to do that.

My experience is 2 years working in corrections + 2 years sexual assault response team volunteer which I am still doing. I had a very rough start when I tried college fresh out of high school so my overall gpa is relatively low, but thankfully CSUSM only looks at the last 60, which is a 4.0. 

I put my completed application packet in the mail 11/14 and now I'm just waiting to hear back. Is anyone else looking into CSUSM? I'd really like to know how long it takes to hear back and what their admission stats are like, but because it's so new it's hard to find any information. 

Good luck everyone!!!

Hi guys! I just registered here and super excited to share the grad application process with all of you  :D

I'm currently finishing up my BA in Psychology at NYU. I'm minoring in studio art and child and adolescent mental health. My overall GPA is a 3.8 and I'm graduating a year early (parents didn't give me much of a choice with that tuition haha). 

I've done about 150+ hours of volunteer work in Mount Sinai in NYC in the Child Life Department. I also worked for America Reads for a semester and am about to start another job at a school in a week.

I'm applying to Columbia, Hunter, Adelphi, and possibly Fordham for their clinical social work/health social work programs. While it'd be a dream to go to Columbia, I know I can't afford any more private university loans :( I'm hoping to get into Hunter's MSW program, but I know it's super competitive. 

Figured I'd drop in and say hello! I'm only 20 and I've busted my ass academically my whole life. I hope my young age isn't going to deter any programs from accepting me...

Good luck all! 

Hi MSWaaplicant7346,

Congratulations on NYU!!! I will be going to NYU as well! I couldn't start at Smith next summer but I would have considered them if I could. If you can spare the 10 weeks in the summer to live in MA, then go to Smith. I love their block curriculum and would love to do the PhD there. I think if I had to choose between Smith and NYU, I would mainly consider the location: do you want to be in NYC for 2 years or live at home most of the year and travel to Smith for a couple months? Other than that, I think NYU might have more name recognition outside the field, but I don't know how much that matters.

Congrats!

I just got accepted to NYU Silver School! Yaay! Still hoping for Smith or DU though. Is anyone else considering/applying to NYU that has some compelling reasons to consider it more? Thanks!! 

submitted my application in September, so I was definitely one of the early ones I think. Thanks RiemannForBeginners! I am SO excited about the block plan, it's one of the main reasons I'm hoping for Smith. I can't help but feel drawn to the name brand for NYU though. I suppose in this field, that might not be that important though, you're right. 

Hello All,

I'm super excited to keep up with this thread. Thought I would chime in and join the discussion. I will be graduating in May with my BSW. I'm currently applying to USC, CSU Long Beach, University of Washington, and Humboldt State (my current school). First choice is University of Washington, but we shall see. I am excited for those that have already been accepted and look forward to keeping updated with everyones acceptance.

Hello fellow future social workers! I just submitted my application for Michigan State University's program. My undergrad degree is in Women's Studies and for the past year I have been working full time at a nonprofit day program for adults with disabilities. I hope to hear some good news soon from MSU! Wishing you all the best. 

Yay Social Workers! It is awesome to have so many of us going to school to work in this field. I am only apply to Portland State University and UW (I live and work in Portland at an amazing social service job...would love to stay near here!)

I am applying to the Advanced Standing programs at both because I have my BSW. After months of editing and re-editing my essays...I think they're finally ready. Here is hoping for the best! Looking forward to hearing the outcomes of these applications.

Hello everybody!

I wish I'd found this forum sooner, I already finished my apps but this would've been a great resource when I was writing personal statements....but now I guess it will be a great resource for letting out some stress while I wait to hear back haha.

My undergrad degree was in communications and I've been working in marketing for the past 2 years, so this will be a big (and exciting!!) career change). I have some volunteer experience, however, my biggest concern is definitely lack of direct social work experience. My gpa is pretty good and I feel confident about my LOR's and personal statements.

I've applied to DU, UT Austin, Tulane, and UNLV. Anyone have and opinons/insights on these programs I should know about? DU is my top pick at the moment, followed by UT.

Good luck to all of you fellow future social workers :)

Hey everyone!

I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum. I'm currently working on my essays for UT Austin, but I'm finding it very difficult to write about myself. It just feels so unnatural! Any general advice or tips on writing person statements would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck on your applications everyone!

Hey Everyone,

All my applications are in. Did most for the early decision deadline. I only applied to 7 programs. UW, PSU, SJSU, CSU Long Beach, CSULA, USC, San Diego State. These next 4 to 5 months are definitely going to be a brutal wait. No clue where I'm going to wind up but excited about it. 

Good luck everyone