First Year Students Fall 2014 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

Just thought I'd check in. The semester has been pretty chill so far.

I'm seeing clients in practicum. That's pretty exciting, actually. Hopefully I don't fuck up too massively there.

Otherwise, actual classes are kind of slow and not too exciting. I'll be able to get a jump start on my thesis though, so that's fun! My adviser got a copy of nVivo to assist her with data analysis and I'll probably be able to use it with my thesis as well. That's fun.

Okay. I gotta go do TA shinangians now. :)

Awesome I have pre-practicum this summer then  practicum in the fall where I will work with live bodies. Excited and nervous at the same time. I need to pick a theory from which I'm working from.  I've narrowed it down but still haven't decided.  Good luck. 

So far second semester is starting off nice and easy, appreciate some low stress classes and some free time since I am still recovering from a really hard fall semester! On another note, I talked to my advisor yesterday about spring break plans and he said I can take the week with no classes off (aka no research obligations/stress to worry about) so I spontaneously booked myself a trip to Europe for 10 days!! Now I have something super awesome to look forward too, making these next couple months not seem that bad!!

I will need to purchase the software...  The university doesn't have the STATA... only has SPSS.

Typical - the one you need is the one that the university does not have... We have SAS & STATA here, and I prefer R or SPSS.

I'm pretty sure that there is a special academic price available for STATA with a .edu email address, be sure to ask, it may be a significant discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling anxious about this semester. I really want to keep my 4.0. Why oh why did I select assessments online this semester. The good news once the class is behind me I can look forward to other classes

So far second semester is starting off nice and easy, appreciate some low stress classes and some free time since I am still recovering from a really hard fall semester! On another note, I talked to my advisor yesterday about spring break plans and he said I can take the week with no classes off (aka no research obligations/stress to worry about) so I spontaneously booked myself a trip to Europe for 10 days!! Now I have something super awesome to look forward too, making these next couple months not seem that bad!!

That's awesome!  Super jealous, and you should definitely take this chance to relax and unwind and treat yourself for having survived a hard fall semester.

---

I'm a lot busier this semester than I was in the fall, which is a good thing, but also a stressful thing.  I'm trying to adjust my time management patterns because what worked for me last semester is definitely not working anymore.

This quarter is getting gradually better. I think it's partly getting to know my cohort and feeling like they are real friends, not just classmates. It's reassuring to know that they are also human :) Having side projects like summer funding applications also somehow alleviates the stress of coursework. Now the winter just needs to turn into spring and it'll be alllll good.

I'm feeling much less motivated this semester than last one ... I used to spend almost every night in the library until at least 7pm, usually 9 or 10, and bring dinner with me, but now I just want to go home and cook and watch Netflix. I'm taking the same course load as last semester rather than increasing it like a lot of other first years in my program, and since I've acclimated, it feels really easy to get my work done this term with less effort than last semester. I feel lame for not amping it up and working even harder, like I'm half-assing it, but this is the last semester before I have to teach and study for orals exams as well, so I want to enjoy some free time while I can, especially since I'm dating someone now and wasn't for most of last semester. How do you get over the guilt of feeling like you're just breezing through when you should be pushing yourself harder and stressing more?

I'm feeling much less motivated this semester than last one ... I used to spend almost every night in the library until at least 7pm, usually 9 or 10, and bring dinner with me, but now I just want to go home and cook and watch Netflix. I'm taking the same course load as last semester rather than increasing it like a lot of other first years in my program, and since I've acclimated, it feels really easy to get my work done this term with less effort than last semester. I feel lame for not amping it up and working even harder, like I'm half-assing it, but this is the last semester before I have to teach and study for orals exams as well, so I want to enjoy some free time while I can, especially since I'm dating someone now and wasn't for most of last semester. How do you get over the guilt of feeling like you're just breezing through when you should be pushing yourself harder and stressing more?

This semester feels different for me as well though I can't quite describe it.  If your grades aren't suffering then I wouldn't sweat the change.  Some semesters are easier than others.  My second year will be a lot different than this year I am applying for GAT positions which will mean I will teach six hours and i will be seeing clients so I'm not rushing into the deep end.  No I will get there soon enough. 

PhDs are completed on your own schedule, and it sounds like you understand that a work-life balance makes you more productive when you are actually AT work. I see people grinding away, but I feel there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to that and they could benefit from some leisure time. 

Maybe try setting realistic goals for yourself so you can gauge progress? For me, I write things down and cross them off: that feeling is SO satisfying, and I have tangible evidence I'm not a slacker. It's a bit of trial and error figuring out the effort/output ratio and how to optimize it, but once you get there you can lock in and adjust as needed. Would love other's thoughts too!

For me, I write things down and cross them off: that feeling is SO satisfying, and I have tangible evidence I'm not a slacker.

Just a comment on the quoted sentence: I immediately label+archive/delete emails as I receive them. The only ones I keep in my inbox are ones mentioning things that I have to remember to do/monitor/follow up on, so my inbox forms a sort of "To-Do" list. I even send myself emails if there's something I'm afraid I'm going to forget to do. I have to agree, it is SO satisfying archiving emails that have been in my inbox forever, and I love the (increasingly) rare occasions when my inbox is completely empty.

I did well last semester and really enjoyed the break but did have a bit of remorse about school starting again since between holiday travel and preparing for an event that happened the first week of the semester I didn't get much of a break except maybe a few days. I didn't get sick this year though, and I think that was because I was in such high spirits from being in my program and having my partner with me the whole time instead of going our separate ways for a week and a half.

This semester has been a whirlwind. After prepping day and night for the big event, I ended up spending another intense week altering what I'd done and then the weekend after that was a 24 hr live broadcast marathon event at a place where I volunteer. Now there's an assignment due next week and a couple of shoots coming up this weekend as well as needing to take down all the trappings of the initial event...

I get the sense that this is going to be my meltdown semester where I hash out totally new working methods and have serious doubts about the quality of my work in relation to my peers. Maybe I'm trying too many new things, even though that is what I came to school for. I just feel like I'll never get to the point where I can reliably get accepted to things. It's application season for a lot of residencies that will happen in the summer and fall, and I'm not confident I'll get any of them. The program has been super supportive and people are guiding us through applying to important awards so it has been the best case scenario despite the uncertainty. Maybe I should be more zen and think of rejections as work I don't have to do!

It's interview season again! Crazy to think that we'll be meeting the potential incoming students soon - it hasn't felt like that much time has passed. I don't feel like I'm a second year! And I do to want our second years to leave after this semester - They're so nice! Teaching is coming up next year too - a masters goes by so quick.

Edited by seeingeyeduck

Just a comment on the quoted sentence: I immediately label+archive/delete emails as I receive them. The only ones I keep in my inbox are ones mentioning things that I have to remember to do/monitor/follow up on, so my inbox forms a sort of "To-Do" list. I even send myself emails if there's something I'm afraid I'm going to forget to do. I have to agree, it is SO satisfying archiving emails that have been in my inbox forever, and I love the (increasingly) rare occasions when my inbox is completely empty.

I do just the opposite - Everything that comes to me gets filtered into subfolders - if it is left in my inbox it is probably spam. Important to-do stuff gets forwarded to an email address that I only access via my phone.

I do just the opposite - Everything that comes to me gets filtered into subfolders - if it is left in my inbox it is probably spam. Important to-do stuff gets forwarded to an email address that I only access via my phone.

So you hang on to your spam in your inbox forever? That would drive me nuts!

PhDs are completed on your own schedule, and it sounds like you understand that a work-life balance makes you more productive when you are actually AT work. I see people grinding away, but I feel there is a point of diminishing returns in regards to that and they could benefit from some leisure time.

Maybe try setting realistic goals for yourself so you can gauge progress? For me, I write things down and cross them off: that feeling is SO satisfying, and I have tangible evidence I'm not a slacker. It's a bit of trial and error figuring out the effort/output ratio and how to optimize it, but once you get there you can lock in and adjust as needed. Would love other's thoughts too!

I'm a big fan of this also. I print my weekly schedule out and put it in a binder, and fill in the spaces between classes and teaching with what I would like to accomplish. If I feel I don't do enough of those things during the week, I'll come in on the weekend, but if I get everything done, I reward myself. It's a balancing act because I always (always!) feel like I could be doing more! Especially since once I'm home, I don't get much done.

I'm a big fan of this also. I print my weekly schedule out and put it in a binder, and fill in the spaces between classes and teaching with what I would like to accomplish. If I feel I don't do enough of those things during the week, I'll come in on the weekend, but if I get everything done, I reward myself. It's a balancing act because I always (always!) feel like I could be doing more! Especially since once I'm home, I don't get much done.

I hear that, grad school can consume your life if you let it...there is always another experiment to try, paper to read, or part of thesis/paper to write. Like you ERR, I try to set both goals and boundaries; I don't want to go through school without a plan, but I can't live at the lab like I see some people do. I like to say I'm working smart, not just working hard. :) It bucks the academia expectation of never being off the clock, but I'm too in favor of worker's rights to let that happen.

I like this idea of printing your weekly schedule out and keeping it in your binder.  I have front load everything in my syllabus into todoist.com and write down in my planner.  That worked well last semester.  This semester although I am keeping up with the material it feels as If I am not as ahead as I would like.  (difficult to explain)  Perhaps keeping a weekly goal list somewhere I can see it other that my phone would be helpful. 

I need to learn how to deal with low-grade confrontation. For example: I share an office with one other person. There are two chairs. When I came in to the office, my chair was being used so my officemate could discuss whatever she was looking at on her computer. It wouldn't have been a big deal except there was no acknowledgement of my presence. I sat down my stuff and stood there for a couple of minutes before I left. (I'm still irritated by it!). I have trouble deciphering what to do in these types of situations. Help? I don't want to be a jerk, but I'm fairly certain this is not the way to handle it. My initial reaction is to yell: get out if my chair! But I know that's not the proper response either.

Signed

Socially awkward(and not the cute kind)

I'd say something like this

"Hey, I noticed you were using my chair the other day.  That is cool and all, but if I need to work then maybe we should steal another chair from outside our office to use.    If it's just going to be a couple more minutes, then I don't want to go through the hassle, but if it will be a while then I may want to... so anyways, next time,  if you could give me a guess at how long it will be, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks"

Signed

Pushy Broad

I need to learn how to deal with low-grade confrontation. For example: I share an office with one other person. There are two chairs. When I came in to the office, my chair was being used so my officemate could discuss whatever she was looking at on her computer. It wouldn't have been a big deal except there was no acknowledgement of my presence. I sat down my stuff and stood there for a couple of minutes before I left. (I'm still irritated by it!). I have trouble deciphering what to do in these types of situations. Help? I don't want to be a jerk, but I'm fairly certain this is not the way to handle it. My initial reaction is to yell: get out if my chair! But I know that's not the proper response either.

Signed

Socially awkward(and not the cute kind)

Eh, I'd just be like "can I have my chair back?" but I've been out of school and worked in the real world long enough to have my soul crushed by sh*tty people so I don't have the patience for passive-aggressive behavior. Too blunt? Fine.