First Year Students Fall 2014 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

First class of the second semester is tonight. 6-9 pm, plus an hour drive back home, then some unwind time = bed @ 11pm.

Up again tomorrow @ 4:30, leave for work,  then class from 6-9, drive home ... repeat

it looks like I will really be dragging my a$$ on Thursdays this semester, why did I schedule 2 late nights back to back?

First class of the second semester is tonight. 6-9 pm, plus an hour drive back home, then some unwind time = bed @ 11pm.

Up again tomorrow @ 4:30, leave for work,  then class from 6-9, drive home ... repeat

it looks like I will really be dragging my a$$ on Thursdays this semester, why did I schedule 2 late nights back to back?

Sounds like a hectic schedule. Good luck.

Last semester I did one four-study project.  This semester I'm doing seven multiple-study projects.

Literally seven times as much work.

Is it crazy if I'm excited about that?

Well I manage to pull a 4.0 my first semester of my PhD program -- I definitely checked my grade multiple times to make sure that wasn't a mistake.

This semester I don't seem to have any "big" papers but just tons and tons of reading. I'm also taking a class outside of my department in the Education Policy school and frankly it seems far less rigorous that what I am used to in my department so I will have to make sure to push myself.

Well I manage to pull a 4.0 my first semester of my PhD program -- I definitely checked my grade multiple times to make sure that wasn't a mistake.

This semester I don't seem to have any "big" papers but just tons and tons of reading. I'm also taking a class outside of my department in the Education Policy school and frankly it seems far less rigorous that what I am used to in my department so I will have to make sure to push myself.

Way to go on your gpa.  I think I have one big paper this semester and several small papers.  I think the biggest adjustment for me this semester will be my online class.  I have never taken an online class.  There are about five classes for my degree plan that can be taken online.  This semester I chose to take one and I am attending the university for my other class.  I feel out of my element with the online class.  It feels very loosely defined, is the best way to describe it.  I have to get in the groove before I give my final opinion about online classes. 

I have a paired research project in my Quant Methods class and nobody wants to be my partner :( So it looks like I will be doing the 40 page paper and research solo. 

I have only taken one online class, and my experience is that they tend to take up way more of your time than you would expect. This is especially true if you are expected to have some sort of online dialog with the other class members. It seems like you are always checking in, to see if there is something that you need to comment on.

That being said, the class that I took online was one of the more interesting ones, and had a great instructor.

I have only taken one online class, and my experience is that they tend to take up way more of your time than you would expect. This is especially true if you are expected to have some sort of online dialog with the other class members. It seems like you are always checking in, to see if there is something that you need to comment on.

That being said, the class that I took online was one of the more interesting ones, and had a great instructor.

Yes, I've noticed that.  This particular class has a discussion prompt that is posted regularly and you have to respond to the prompt as well as to your classmates.  The class is assessments, so I'm not sure how interesting the subject matter will be but we shall see.  

Was to supposed to hear back from a conference regarding a proposal on Friday....no news. (No one who has submitted has heard anything.) But it would be nice to know when I can expect to receive a response...

I have the bad luck to be catching a cold, developing a yeast infection, and suffering through a two-week heavy menstrual period right before classes start today. I feel absolutely awful physically, and I'm starting to stress about being at a zombielike level of functionality for the first week of classes. I hope that I can handle this. Thank goodness I only have one seminar and daily language classes this week.

I hope your week went well despite you not feeling well.  

So tonight is the class where my last professor did not show up. We are currently getting some snow from Juno and it is supposed to intensify tonight. I really hope class isn't cancelled :( We have to meet our new professor and get a syllabus and everything. Today is also the last day for add/drop and I really don't want to have to drop this class and find a new one so late into the semester. I am nervous. 

So tonight is the class where my last professor did not show up. We are currently getting some snow from Juno and it is supposed to intensify tonight. I really hope class isn't cancelled :( We have to meet our new professor and get a syllabus and everything. Today is also the last day for add/drop and I really don't want to have to drop this class and find a new one so late into the semester. I am nervous. 

I've been hearing about that storm all weekend and I am in Cali!  I used to live in Manassass, VA though so I remember those days.  I don't envy you!  Are you able to talk to your advisor on what you need to do? 

I've been hearing about that storm all weekend and I am in Cali!  I used to live in Manassass, VA though so I remember those days.  I don't envy you!  Are you able to talk to your advisor on what you need to do? 

Great advice!  

Let us know what you decide.  Perhaps the professors will send out assignments via email.  That may ease your doubts a bit.  

I got the flu on the second day of classes.  The flu turned into bronchitis.  I foolishly tried to take Mucinex DM so I could sleep through the night without coughing.  Instead, it created a non-productive cough while suppressing everything else so my bronchitis turned into atypical pneumonia.  I started on antibiotics yesterday, and now my nose won't stop running.  Luckily (that's a sarcastic luckily), I only had two assignments from one class and 200 pages of reading for my second class along with my TA duties, my research, applying to an internship, and developing a second research topic.  Oh, and I need to fill out a progress report for a small grant I received. 

I almost miss the first semester now.  I want to say that at least everything is uphill from here, but I'm scared I'll get TB next or something crazy like that. 

Is it too crazy to start wearing a mask and gloves everywhere? :mellow:

Second week of classes and I'm disappointed.  Can't explain it though.  I feel like I want to cry and two of my boys are sick.  Looks like tomorrow will be spent at the Doctor's office.   :(

I am so stressed out. I finally got a partner for my Quant Methods class and our research proposal is due on Tuesday so I will be spending a couple hours on campus today after work finalizing this project. Then I need to work on the school computers to run STATA to do my homework.  :blink: I am exhausted!

My stats class uses SAS and it's annoying me to no end. Also, I was sick the first week of classes and am still catching up. 

However, I already have my 3-4 projects for my PhD pretty much set (need to write formal proposals but ideas are approved by advisor) and my committee prepared. 

I am so stressed out. I finally got a partner for my Quant Methods class and our research proposal is due on Tuesday so I will be spending a couple hours on campus today after work finalizing this project. Then I need to work on the school computers to run STATA to do my homework.  :blink: I am exhausted!

I will need STATA for my research methods class next year... don't know where I can get it cheap though. 

You can often use university computers to access statistical software. That is what I do when I need to run homework in SAS. 

I will need to purchase the software...  The university doesn't have the STATA... only has SPSS.

Just thought I'd check in. The semester has been pretty chill so far.

I'm seeing clients in practicum. That's pretty exciting, actually. Hopefully I don't fuck up too massively there.

Otherwise, actual classes are kind of slow and not too exciting. I'll be able to get a jump start on my thesis though, so that's fun! My adviser got a copy of nVivo to assist her with data analysis and I'll probably be able to use it with my thesis as well. That's fun.

Okay. I gotta go do TA shinangians now. :)