Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Sorry, that link doesn't seem to work properly when I post. If you search "Honours Bachelor of Social Work 1 Yr" in the calendar you can find more information on courses.

Thank you:). I did some more searching as well. Basically it looks like the summer courses are Monday to Friday and than the fall courses it really depends on times and days the courses fall on if it can be squeezed into a few days or a couple hours here and there. 

Denied to the HBSW at Lakehead, which is okay because I decided going there wasn't the best route for me anyways. Here's hoping I get into MSW!

No decision yet anywhere else.

I wish you luck! I really would prefer to do the MSW route as well. Hopefully we all hear some news soon. 

I got into Lakehead Thunder Bay (anyone else?)! Heart is pounding and I am doing some combination of crying and laughing and feeling hysterical. Even though the HBSW is not my first choice (I don't really want to live that far away, and it starts in July so I would have to cut my summer job short and turn down explore if I got that opportunity this summer) it is so so so relieving to actually be admitted somewhere. It makes me feel like I have a chance at the other programs and it is just so nice to know that I will actually be doing something next year. I finally feel like this is an achievable goal.

Congrats to everyone else who got in and good luck to everyone still waiting on acceptances!!

Congratulations, Magfish!

It's true that Thunder Bay truly is pretty isolated, however there are countless opportunities for social work up here! I moved to Thunder Bay last summer and although the winter was longer and colder than I'm used to (being a "southerner" and all), I found the community itself wonderful and because so many social work programs are based out of here that service the entire Northwest, there are endless possibilities for networking, volunteering, etc. It's a welcoming and warm community and I found it easy to carve out a place for myself here in very little time! I'm sure the program will keep us all busy enough that the location won't matter so much, anyways! Whatever route you decide on, good luck and congratulations once again to yourself and everyone else for this accomplishment!

Long time lurker, first time poster! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Just wondering if anyone who has been accepted to U of T 2 year MSW also applied for OGS?

I am wondering this too, and if it's too late to do so? Just super unclear about how OGS' work!

I am wondering this too, and if it's too late to do so? Just super unclear about how OGS' work!

It is too late to apply - Applications were due January or February (seems like so long ago now!). I applied, I just wasn't sure if this was a common thing for MSW students to be granted. Its given by the university committee, not the faculty of Social Work, so its really competitive. From my understanding results get released in July. Does anyone have any more info?

I didn't apply for OGS- I got super overwhelmed and anxious about it and missed the deadline. We can't apply for it now, though, the deadline was the end of January. I did apply for CGS though, so I should hear about that April 1 (as that is a standard date when all decisions are released)

@magfish

I also just heard from Lakehead Orillia. Congratulations! I will be going to U of T, but I looked into the Lakehead program in pretty good detail and it looks fantastic! A great step towards msw if that is your end goal or attaining a bsw and being able to work as a social worker!

People on here tend to speak highly of it too! Kudos to you. :)

Also, good luck in hearing back from other schools!

Congratulations! A lot of new and exciting things coming. Up in the enxtthursday few months regardless of what they are :)

Congratulations, Magfish!

It's true that Thunder Bay truly is pretty isolated, however there are countless opportunities for social work up here! I moved to Thunder Bay last summer and although the winter was longer and colder than I'm used to (being a "southerner" and all), I found the community itself wonderful and because so many social work programs are based out of here that service the entire Northwest, there are endless possibilities for networking, volunteering, etc. It's a welcoming and warm community and I found it easy to carve out a place for myself here in very little time! I'm sure the program will keep us all busy enough that the location won't matter so much, anyways! Whatever route you decide on, good luck and congratulations once again to yourself and everyone else for this accomplishment!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I'm still holding out for U of T and hoping to hear back from St. Thomas as well, but this is all really reassuring to hear. I know how competitive the program is and I was worried that I was going to be hugely disadvantaged because my degree is in history - it's not even a "social science", its "humanities", so I was worried that the seemingly unrelatedness of it would disadvantage me. Even though Lakehead isn't my first choice it's making me think I have a slightly better shot than I thought I did.

I definitely would not love the winters. Living in Kingston the winters are already worse than I'm used to in Toronto and I hate winter so so much, but it would only be for a year. I could handle it. It's also awesome to hear about the community in Thunder Bay and the opportunities - I admit while the small program really appeals to me I was a bit worried about that but it sounds like that isn't going to be a big issue.

Good luck to any of you still waiting to hear!!

I didn't apply for OGS- I got super overwhelmed and anxious about it and missed the deadline. We can't apply for it now, though, the deadline was the end of January. I did apply for CGS though, so I should hear about that April 1 (as that is a standard date when all decisions are released)

What is CGS? I don't think I've heard of it! Has the deadline passed? 

It's Canada Graduate Scholarship, and the deadline was December 1

I wanted to apply for this and I signed up on the site but it was all extremely confusing for me. Good luck to everyone who applied for it!

Long time lurker, first time poster! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Just wondering if anyone who has been accepted to U of T 2 year MSW also applied for OGS?

Congratulations on your offer to U of T :) If you don't mind me asking when did you find out about your acceptance?

Congratulations on your offer to U of T :) If you don't mind me asking when did you find out about your acceptance?

Thank you so much! I found out Tuesday March 24th! I have yet to receive my official letter, however I live 3 hours from Toronto. I also want to take this time to let people know that U of T really does take into consideration your application as a whole. I personally did not have a lot of experience in social work (mainly volunteer type of work), although my grades are fairly high and I have previous research experience in a few different research labs over the last few years of my undergrad. So if you don't have a lot of experience, don't doubt yourself! They take into consideration multiple aspects of your application. Advice to other people who are taking a year off: if possible, get involved in a research lab at a university close to you! I think it can make a huge difference to your application. Best of luck to everyone!

Thank you :) That's really reassuring - I have a lot of experience but not the most competitive GPA. I'm glad they are actually taking the approach they claim they do. 

Thank you so much! I found out Tuesday March 24th! I have yet to receive my official letter, however I live 3 hours from Toronto. I also want to take this time to let people know that U of T really does take into consideration your application as a whole. I personally did not have a lot of experience in social work (mainly volunteer type of work), although my grades are fairly high and I have previous research experience in a few different research labs over the last few years of my undergrad. So if you don't have a lot of experience, don't doubt yourself! They take into consideration multiple aspects of your application. Advice to other people who are taking a year off: if possible, get involved in a research lab at a university close to you! I think it can make a huge difference to your application. Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know what it may mean for those of us who have not heard back from York? I know some people have been accepted, wait-listed, and rejected, but some of us have heard nothing yet either.

Does anyone know what it may mean for those of us who have not heard back from York? I know some people have been accepted, wait-listed, and rejected, but some of us have heard nothing yet either.

Last year people got their acceptances and waitlist e-mails on the same day and people who were rejected never received an e-mail They eventually received a letter in the mail letting them know they were unsuccessful (the myFile also updated). That being said, this year it looks like acceptances/waitlist were sent out and then another wave of waitlists were sent in the following weeks. Given that the program lets in few students, it's hard to imagine they haven't sent all of the acceptances/waitlists with two rounds, but it's really just speculative!

Rejected from York on myfile :-( Was invited to Windsor but not sure about going there as I haven't heard very positive reviews. I really wanted U of T and I'm still waiting on that one! No one has been waitlisted for U of T yet eh? 

Rejected from York on myfile :-( Was invited to Windsor but not sure about going there as I haven't heard very positive reviews. I really wanted U of T and I'm still waiting on that one! No one has been waitlisted for U of T yet eh? 

Nope! We still have hope:). I really believe next week we will be hearing more. March is finally coming to an end!

It isn't fun being rejected that's for sure! I was rejected from York last year as well. They really don't accept a lot of people at all so don't let that discourage you! Hopefully U of T works out.

Ahh I'm scared. U of Windsor "applications" part is temporarily unavailable. I wonder if they're updating... anyone else have this?

Edit: Nevermind. False alarm. 

Edited by ash_d19

People have got replies from York in all possible tones - accepted, wait listed, unsuccessful (Sorry but the best is yet to come, get your feet back on the ground!). I just feel confused what my Not Decision Yet means with no feedback? Does anyone applying for York have the same problem? 

To those accepted, did you find a thesis supervisor during application? I guess it may make a difference.

Also, should I still bear hope on the UofT two-yr program - ROSI unavailable, SGS under review, no Email prompt. Angela hasn't replied yet.

I have to say compared with an elegant and slow death, I prefer facing what I have to face in a straightforward fashion. 

People have got replies from York in all possible tones - accepted, wait listed, unsuccessful (Sorry but the best is yet to come, get your feet back on the ground!). I just feel confused what my Not Decision Yet means with no feedback? Does anyone applying for York have the same problem?

To those accepted, did you find a thesis supervisor during application? I guess it may make a difference.

Also, should I still bear hope on the UofT two-yr program - ROSI unavailable, SGS under review, no Email prompt. Angela hasn't replied yet.

I have to say compared with an elegant and slow death, I prefer facing what I have to face in a straightforward fashion.

ROSI is down for maintenance Friday's from 6-10. Doesn't mean anything.