Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hello! 

Congrats to everyone on this cycle of admissions!

Just wanted to see if those attending the UBCO Program is on here, wanted to start connecting and networking.

Best wishes to everyone in your future endeavors! 

Just an FYI, I went to a U of T info session on the MSW program last week and I think 2 things are worth noting for next year's applicants:

1) This year, no-one with a B- or lower in research methods was admitted into the program (regardless of otherwise spectacular grades and experience), the vast majority of those admitted were in the A-range, so if you're sitting below a mid-B average you should seriously consider boosting it for next year's application as chances of acceptance with it may actually be close to if not zero.

2) To all of our surprise, this year's MSW acceptance offers came over a month earlier for both advanced standing and the 2-year programs. Angela said that this year's admissions process was very successful and that they will be replicating it next year, so those applying this upcoming Fall will also be hearing back earlier than previous years! :)

Hope everyone is enjoying the (sort of beautiful but largely inconsistent) weather happening all over the place. Remember to take care of you, and I really hope that more of you wait-listers will be getting good news over the coming months! And of course, congrats to everyone who has received offers of admission recently :)

Just an FYI, I went to a U of T info session on the MSW program last week and I think 2 things are worth noting for next year's applicants:

1) This year, no-one with a B- or lower in research methods was admitted into the program (regardless of otherwise spectacular grades and experience), the vast majority of those admitted were in the A-range, so if you're sitting below a mid-B average you should seriously consider boosting it for next year's application as chances of acceptance with it may actually be close to if not zero.

2) To all of our surprise, this year's MSW acceptance offers came over a month earlier for both advanced standing and the 2-year programs. Angela said that this year's admissions process was very successful and that they will be replicating it next year, so those applying this upcoming Fall will also be hearing back earlier than previous years! :)

Hope everyone is enjoying the (sort of beautiful but largely inconsistent) weather happening all over the place. Remember to take care of you, and I really hope that more of you wait-listers will be getting good news over the coming months! And of course, congrats to everyone who has received offers of admission recently :)

Which info session was this? I hadn't heard about it.

Which info session was this? I hadn't heard about it.

FIFSW has many info sessions a year, usually at least once a month in the summer months and then more frequently during the application period. It's just a presentation for prospective students about what the program is, how it works, and what to expect with the admission process. 

FIFSW has many info sessions a year, usually at least once a month in the summer months and then more frequently during the application period. It's just a presentation for prospective students about what the program is, how it works, and what to expect with the admission process.

Ohh okay I have already attended that. Didn't know they continue them after the application deadline. Good to know, thanks! Thought I was missing something new!

Heres to hoping that this is the week (or next week) that U of T will start sending out waitlist acceptances for 2Y MSW! 

Ugh yes same here. I am debating whether I want to email Angela and ask her if they have started the process yet.

Ugh yes same here. I am debating whether I want to email Angela and ask her if they have started the process yet.

I have been thinking the same thing! They said the middle of May, and this Friday will be the very middle of May! 

Man i would hate to work angelas job during the months of nov-june lol

Oh she must get soo many emails per day lol, but I am sure she expected that when she signed up for the position as would any coordinator for any grad program! lol.

Oh she must get soo many emails per day lol, but I am sure she expected that when she signed up for the position as would any coordinator for any grad program! lol.

Also, 90% of the emails she gets can probably be answered with generic responses or redirects to the FIFSW website haha.

I e-mailed her 5 days ago concerning a different matter, and I have yet to get a reply. I'd say, maybe wait another week or two before e-mailing her about the Wait-List... It seems like she is really busy!

Also, 90% of the emails she gets can probably be answered with generic responses or redirects to the FIFSW website haha.

I e-mailed her 5 days ago concerning a different matter, and I have yet to get a reply. I'd say, maybe wait another week or two before e-mailing her about the Wait-List... It seems like she is really busy!

Didn't say I was going too just obviously was a thought. 

Also yes I am sure a portion of the questions can be answered through the website but not all.

YAY I got into Windsor too! But I'm still going to U of T. 

Hang in there anyone waiting to hear back or who has been waitlisted - I hope you can take my spot. 

Yes, I have never been a student at UofT, I went April 20th (the date is on the card) and I have the card in my possession so I definitely know that I got it :)

I wonder why they would say that :s

I ended up going down figuring they would give me a card since they gave you one. They wouldnt :( told me i need to go back after June 1st so I went down there for nothing lol

Hi everyone, 

I know there are people on the wait list for U of T here, I was also on the wait list for the advanced standing program (Health and Mental Health), I got a call today from Angela offering me a place :-) So, the list is moving! Good-luck to everyone! 

I ended up going down figuring they would give me a card since they gave you one. They wouldnt :( told me i need to go back after June 1st so I went down there for nothing lol

How weird! I went and got mine on May 6th, they didn't say a thing...I guess it just depends on who's working that day

Hey guys,

Just a post for those who were rejected or waitlisted last year. I was able to get feeback on my application. They basically told me what I already knew... My average was 78% and they didnt accept anyone under 80% this year (Laurier). She told me to focus on improving my grades as my experience profile was strong. That was my plan for this year anyways, but it feel sgreat to get that feedback and know I'm on the right track, and that there were parts of my application that did score highly so I'm not a total lost cause. Just thought that I would share that with everyone else who is working on their backup plans this year.