Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hello!

Anyone here waitlisted for Lakehead's 1 Year BSW program at Thunder Bay or Orillia campus? If so, have you heard anything re. the wait list? The wait list letter said that we would hear back from them by mid May. 

Hello!

Anyone here waitlisted for Lakehead's 1 Year BSW program at Thunder Bay or Orillia campus? If so, have you heard anything re. the wait list? The wait list letter said that we would hear back from them by mid May. 

Hi Gakattack,

There was an email sent to the myinfo Lakehead email (it's linked on the right hand side of the website when you first log in) with the following message:

"Hello All Wait List Applicants for the 1 Year HBSW program,

Thank you for your patience in awaiting further notice regarding your wait list status. At this time, the School of Social Work has reached the quota of students we can accept to the 1 Year program. There is still a slight possibility for admission should an opening become available prior to July 1.

If you would like to remain on the wait list please let me know by responding to this email. If we do not hear from you, we will assume that you are not interested in remaining on the wait list and close your application. There have been times when students have declined their offer as late as June. If you are prepared to attend on short notice that would be a perfect opportunity for admission.

I will keep all who are interested in remaining on the wait list posted."

I only found out because a friend of mine also was applying and happened to check it. If you would still like to be in the waitlist pool, I think they're expecting a response soon! Good luck!

p.s. it's also possible that your status changed, we just assumed everybody in the waitlist pool didn't move but it's possible individuals were taken out and sent acceptances.

SW15 I don't know anyone who was waitlisted, but odds are there have to be people who were. If they have 800+ applicants, accept 140, and put 70 on the waitlist... well, you do the math! :)

Is anyone else driving themselves a little crazy over the U of T wait list stuff?? I mean.. I've accepted St. Thomas but it just doesn't feel real - going out east is insane and I've still got a little sliver of hope that it isn't over yet even though for all intents and purposes it is. A rejection almost would have been nicer....

Last year on the forum it looked like quite a few (5 maybe??) got calls on June 4th about the waitlist, and someone else got in early-ish August. In 2013 three or four people got in around May 22nd/24th, and someone there said that in 2011 someone got in as late as Sept 4th!!! I know it's insane and not to base anything off what happened in previous years.

For the most part I am not thinking about it, you know? Most days I'm just focused on work and summer and my job, but occasionally it hits me and I drop by here to see if there's any movement or anything like that. Nice to know it looks like people get phone calls for movement. Good luck to everyone, I'm sure at least a few of the people on this board will get in!!!

"SW15 I don't know anyone who was waitlisted, but odds are there have to be people who were. If they have 800+ applicants, accept 140, and put 70 on the waitlist... well, you do the math!"- Magfish where did you here this? When I have called U of T in the past they said that they can't disclose how many people are waitlisted.

Honestly, most people I have talked to that applied to U of T have been waitlisted. I am starting to wonder if most people that apply to U of T are waitlisted? I haven't seen or heard of anyone on this forum that has been rejected from U of T... If that's the case, there is no hope getting off of the wait list! 

I will be :) and my field work placement is all set up! So excited

Since made that post I was accepted to U of T and decided to go there instead of McGill, so I won't be meeting you but good-luck with everything at McGill! Montreal is a great city!

"SW15 I don't know anyone who was waitlisted, but odds are there have to be people who were. If they have 800+ applicants, accept 140, and put 70 on the waitlist... well, you do the math!"- Magfish where did you here this? When I have called U of T in the past they said that they can't disclose how many people are waitlisted.

Honestly, most people I have talked to that applied to U of T have been waitlisted. I am starting to wonder if most people that apply to U of T are waitlisted? I haven't seen or heard of anyone on this forum that has been rejected from U of T... If that's the case, there is no hope getting off of the wait list!

Haha- totally mixed things up there. I personally was wait listed. I meant don't know anyone who WASN'T, but there have to have been people who were outright rejected. I would approach the wait list with little to no hope and if anything be surprised instead of disappointed. I imagine a lot of movement will be very unlikely.

Also I don't have a source for the 70. I just remember someone saying something like it in the thread and me being shocked that basically they wait list 50% of the program number, you know?

Sorry for major confusion. Aka why I shouldn't be on these forums on my lunch break / not pay of attention!

Since made that post I was accepted to U of T and decided to go there instead of McGill, so I won't be meeting you but good-luck with everything at McGill! Montreal is a great city!

Congrats! Does this mean that you were accepted off the wait list yesterday? Did it happen through a phone call or an e-mail?

Hello everyone! For anyone out there like me (waitlisted at UofT 2-Yr MSW), I emailed Angela last week asking about if they started the admissions process for waitlisted individuals. It looks like they aren't disclosing much information. Heres to hoping!

This was her reply. 

Hello,

If there is any change in your status, we will contact you.

Best regards,

Angela Umbrello

Hello all, I was wait-listed at U of T and received a phone call from Angela today with an offer of admission!  This was my first year applying so it can happen for you too!!

Congratulations! 

What time did you receive the call? Also, can you give a description of your stats and what you attribute to your being accepted? 

Thanks! 

Congratulations! 

What time did you receive the call? Also, can you give a description of your stats and what you attribute to your being accepted? 

Thanks! 

Thank you :)  I was called around 3:30pm Toronto time.

As for stats.. I had a solid A average throughout my undergrad (I've been graduated for 5 years!) I volunteered in a community centre for 2 1/2 years, worked at a community mental health agency for 2 years (1 year in fundraising & 1 year with intake/social rec) and I volunteer for a distress line currently (at the time of the application it had been 7 months).  I've also worked as a research assistant since finishing my undergrad (over the last 5 years) on various projects in the social sciences.  Last year I also took a few classes at a community college in counseling.  Hope that helps!

Thank you :)  I was called around 3:30pm Toronto time.

As for stats.. I had a solid A average throughout my undergrad (I've been graduated for 5 years!) I volunteered in a community centre for 2 1/2 years, worked at a community mental health agency for 2 years (1 year in fundraising & 1 year with intake/social rec) and I volunteer for a distress line currently (at the time of the application it had been 7 months).  I've also worked as a research assistant since finishing my undergrad (over the last 5 years) on various projects in the social sciences.  Last year I also took a few classes at a community college in counseling.  Hope that helps!

Wow, I am shocked that you were even wait-listed! It's crazy how competitive this program is. 

My MyFile for York University still says "no decision yet" - which is ridiculous because it's almost June!

I can't find a contact email anywhere though...

Horrible communication on their end. they could at least inform you if you were waitlisted, not accepted, etc!

Hey everyone,

I got accepted to York and UofT both for the 2 Year MSW Program. While I initially wanted to do UofT because of their mental health stream, York's funding (covering most of the tuition) is making me inclined to take their offer instead.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Hey everyone,

I got accepted to York and UofT both for the 2 Year MSW Program. While I initially wanted to do UofT because of their mental health stream, York's funding (covering most of the tuition) is making me inclined to take their offer instead.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

From what I understand the two programs differ greatly in terms of the curriculum (York = Anti Oppressive Perspective/Socially Progressive, U of T= Clinical (Evidence Based Practices) and Research Oriented). Hope that helps!

Hey Decaf,

This is Nahid, I also accepted in MSW ( 2-years) program at WLU with no funding.

I asked them about funding. They told that they only offer funding for  top ranking students.

Congratulations for your acceptance.

Nahid

Hello everyone,

This is Nahid, accepted both in  Wilfrid Laurier and University of Windsor 2 years Masters of Social work program for Fall, 2015.

In Laurier, i am in IFG ( Individual , Family and Groups) stream. There is no particular specialization in University of

Wondsor. Which school is good ? If you kindly pay your opinion, I will be happy.

Best,

Nahid

Accepted : MSW ( 2 years) in WLU

MSW ( 2 years) in University of Windsor

Hello Fenris,

This is Nahid. I accepted in Masters of Social Work program ( 2 years)in university of Windsor.

What's about you ?

Best, Nahid