Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding somewhat relevant summer employment in the GTA? I'm finding it brutal to find anything..

Hey please does anyone know how long it takes carleton to offer admission for grad students. My status has changed to recommended for assessment for like 2weeks now.. time is running fast cuz i need 2get my student visa

@Ivm2015 & @katkatkat mine also says decision made, my guess is that this is updated once they received our reply to whether or not we wished to remain on the waitlist

No it changes after a decision has been made i.e. acceptance, rejection or waitlist(they dont need confirmation). It simply means after reviewing your application documents a decision was made to either accept you, decline, or put you on a waitlist

Hey please does anyone know how long it takes carleton to offer admission for grad students. My status has changed to recommended for assessment for like 2weeks now.. time is running fast cuz i need 2get my student visa

I would email the school asap. :)

Hey I have a suuuper general question about U of T.

It seems to be the "it" school for Social Work on this forum as it's many people's first choice and I was just wondering if this is for specific reason, is it substantially better than other programs or is it more about location?

I will be reapplying next year and I'm really hoping to bone up on my experience so I have a better shot at getting in since I think my grades are competitive :) trying to feel optimistic!

It seems to be the "it" school for Social Work on this forum as it's many people's first choice and I was just wondering if this is for specific reason, is it substantially better than other programs or is it more about location?

I will be reapplying next year and I'm really hoping to bone up on my experience so I have a better shot at getting in since I think my grades are competitive :) trying to feel optimistic!

Hey there, 

for me personally there are a few factors :) 

1. Clinical/Research approach and specializations, these are really big for me, I think that I will get the most out of my education from a school that takes this approach considering my career goals. Also the specialization is something I have been told is a bonus when looking for a job in the clinical field. 

2. Placements- they have really amazing options for placements, particularly in the field that I want to go into. This is one of the most exciting aspects of the program for me, I learn better when I am actually on the field doing things so I want a placement where I can really absorb and get the most out of it so I feel ready for my job one day.

3. Reputation- I know this shouldn't really be something I concern myself with but if I am being honest from all the volunteer/work positions I have done in the past, supervisors have told me that UofT is well respected and held in high regard. I don't personally agree with ranking schools in that system (any MSW is a great MSW!) but from what I have seen people subconsciously do it even if they don't admit it. 

4. Professors/ Faculty- Many of the faculty have completed research in fields that I am incredibly interested in. Regardless of whether I pursue research I want to have the opportunity to learn from people who are experts in their field.  

5. Location- it's close to home!  :)

I will say that one downside about the program is probably going to be class size compared to, for example, York where the classes are very personal and small. I think the second year of the program is rather large with 140 2 year students being combined with the advanced standing so you have upwards of 200 students which is rather large. I am hoping there will be opportunities to work in smaller group environments but none the less the other factors definitely outweigh that! 

In addition to what's been posted above... U of T seems to be the most forgiving in terms of lack of work/volunteer experience. So this is a plus for applicants with excellent grades, research experience and no-so competitive work hours. You also cannot under estimate the significance of the location. Toronto is the most populated city in Canada and there are multiple ways for people to travel to Toronto in nearby communities such as the GO train, GO bus, etc so this will make the school a desireable one for many to attend. U of T is also the number 1 university in Canada and is in approximately 20th place worldwide (with slight variations from year to year). It is also the only university in Canada to offer so many specializations (something generally only seen in the US) so this makes it unique for people who want a more specialized degree. They also have lots of hospital placements, while such placements can be fairly scarce and competitive at some other schools. I am also impressed with the efficiency of their social work department, they have a great website and Angela Umbrello seems to be excellent at her job. This would only make the program even more appealing in my eyes.

Edited by jenste

UofT also has a lot of great courses offered in other departments that students take as electives.  For example, we had social work students taking some of our public health courses as electives.  Some of my classmates who took electives at OISE indicated that they had social work students in their OISE courses as well. For those interested in social justice, the courses offered by OISE's social justice education department can be great options.

A question for those who are currently working on gaining work experience:

What types of employment opportunities would be suitable for anyone without a BSW or extensive work experience? I'm starting to lose hope as most agencies require a ton of experience in specific positions such as child welfare or addicitons worker. Would volunteering be my best bet?

I have started searching for volunteer work instead of paid work, but I'm wondering if top schools prefer paid work experience and downgrade volunteer hours!

I would try getting a job in a group home for youth. I hear they're pretty easy to get. I have also heard great things about volunteering for Family & Children's Services (F&CS). If you're interested in disabilities of all kinds (physical, cognitive, mental illness, etc), you could also try working as a personal support worker at a children's residential facility for disabilities but you might need to take a PSW course for that (not sure though so you'd need to look into that if this appeals to you). As well, some people volunteer as a teaching aid at public schools and help students with disabilities part take in classroom activities and homework.

I know someone who worked as a relief worker for parents with children with disabilities and basically played with the kids and kept them occupied to give their parents a rest once or twice a week. She did this work privately though and had no previous training. The hardest part for her was getting started out. If you can find a couple of contracts and make a great impression, your future clients will find out about you through word of mouth and business will grow. This person, by the way, was able to get into a social service worker program later on and this was the only experience she had in the field.

Edited by jenste

Heif1 - I have no paid work experience at all.  I have around 3000 hours total between volunteering on a crisis line 8 hours a week for 5 years and my practicum during my BSW at a women's crisis centre.  I got into UofT Advanced Standing with that.  I cannot encourage volunteering enough, it really helps your resume and application and doesn't seem to be looked at as less than paid employment.

A question for those who are currently working on gaining work experience:

What types of employment opportunities would be suitable for anyone without a BSW or extensive work experience? I'm starting to lose hope as most agencies require a ton of experience in specific positions such as child welfare or addicitons worker. Would volunteering be my best bet?

I have started searching for volunteer work instead of paid work, but I'm wondering if top schools prefer paid work experience and downgrade volunteer hours!

Hey! I spent the past couple years trying to gain more volunteering an work experience. Apart for some random volunteer opportunities, I mostly had my college placement with Canadian Pardon Services to rely on for experience. I'm also aiming at specialization in Mental Health and I sought volunteering with Canadian Mental Health Association, working with various individuals one-on-one in the community. I also was very fortunate to be hired with Community Living as a support worker. I also started volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters. I applied last year, and while I had started some volunteering and work, it wasn't quite enough hours and experience. Volunteering is a great opportunity and looks great on your resume. 

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this question but thought I would ask. 

I have looked into both taking more courses at my undergrad university, or taking a few courses through Athabasca. Which looks better for schools? Athabasca works better for me because I am out of the country and their distance education is much better than my university's offerings. But I am wondering if it looks bad on an application that I have taken just a few extra courses from another university. 

Does anyone have thoughts? 

I have looked into both taking more courses at my undergrad university, or taking a few courses through Athabasca. Which looks better for schools? Athabasca works better for me because I am out of the country and their distance education is much better than my university's offerings. But I am wondering if it looks bad on an application that I have taken just a few extra courses from another university. 

During my undergrad I needed up upgrade my marks at athabasca while i was still in school in order to graduate. (I wasn't too great at avoiding the siren song of the bar back then...)

I don't think universities look at anything other than the numbers, honestly.  They do take into consideration each school's average marks since some schools use different systems/have higher averages, etc.   but if I got in with what was clearly redoing courses at Athabasca that I failed in at my undergrad school, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

For U of T, the admissions coordinator highly recommended people use Athabasca to upgrade their research methods mark! I agree with the above post, I don't think universities care about where you take courses.

You know what? Going to U of T would be a wonderful opportunity, honour, and priviledge. It was, for a very long time, my first choice, and it is where my partner got her MSW. I say that to temper what might come across as a bit of a rant, because while U of T is most definitely perceived as the "it" school for many of us social work hopefuls, I would highly recommend that you keep your options open to the other schools in the area.

Why?

Ideology. As others have said, U of T does clinical and research - and it heavily employs evidence-based, colonialism-derived knowledge (from what MSW students and professors have told me). For example there is a course based on the DSM, a manual that my current school critiques in pretty much every class. Other ways of going about social work - radical, critical, activist, post-structural struggle towards upsetting the status quo and flirting with disaster on the margins! will not likely be a priority at U of T. An exception to this might be the Social Justice stream, but even then, for all the stranglehold that U of T has on placements in the city, I have heard that SJ placements are largely policy based, with few clinical or grassroots options (again, just what I've heard, take with grain of salt, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). So if you are okay with learning from that kind of administrative, bureaucratic, generalist perspective (and as a waitlisted applicant, I was okay with that), then U of T might work for you. If you're hoping to dig deep and challenge popular social work themes like "AOP", "resilience", and "at-risk youth", then I don't know if you will see a lot of that kind of analysis at U of T (outside of the social justice stream).

Another issue with the university is that they are kind of "wholesaling" MSW education - They take in the most students of the GTA universities, and charge them a high tuitition while the dean makes a small fortune each year. They also have an absolutely atrocious first-year placement system for the 2-year MSW, where a "computer program" randomly chooses your placement for students. I've heard that some people got incredible placements that led directly to work that they wanted, while others felt that their placements were horrible and completely unrelated to their goals. I've also heard that advanced placement/2nd year students have much better control over their practicums.

That being said, there are other options for you that might better fit your needs.

Do you want to do research with a high chance of getting funding? Great! York and Ryerson both require a "thesis"-like research paper, and York will even pay you via a guaranteed assistanceship while both programs give out a lot of entry scholarships.

Do you want to receive a clinical MSW from a top school with an excellent reputation and prestige? Try WIlfred Laurier, whose clinical program is supposed to be amazing and whose reputation has often surpassed U of T (from what others have told me).

Do you want to focus on work with Aboriginal Peoples and rural settings? Try Lakehead, who some people have told me is their "it" school for critical social work.

So why was U of T my first choice? I wanted to explore clinical social work and was banking on the likelihood of a clinical placement (which you can choose amongst several options in the second year/advanced standing, unlike the first year). I also wouldn't have to justify being a clinical social worker with any regulatory body. The program ends a semester more quickly than Ryerson or York (I would have my MSW in a year!). There is no "thesis" requirement. The school is central to everything, and close to where I live.

Why is it no longer my first pick? Obviously, I wasn't accepted (twice), but in being waitlisted for two years in a row, I've come to realize that I wouldn't be a good fit, especially not in the health and mental health stream that I chose. My GPA is a 3.9/4.0, with an A in research, and I have about 4000 hours of paid social service work and at least another 1000 in volunteer work. I'm guessing that it was the written statemtns in my application, both this year and last, that stopped me from getting accepted, and maybe that's because who I am as a social worker is simply not what they are looking for. I also think that what I've learned in my BSW would get muted there to some degree - I would be learning diagnoses rather than deconstructing  them. While I won't be able to call myself a clinical social worker without extra training after I graduate, I now have an opportunity (mandatory) to work on a research project of my choice, and I'll get paid to do it.

Hope this wasn't too personal relfection-y or too negative-y. Most of my opinions were based on other students' experiences, rather than my own. Had U of T accepted me, and I didn't have to think about other options, I'd probably be going there. Getting into U of T is a huge accomplishment, and I have also seen many people go on to do really wonderful things with their degrees. For me, however, the other options seem better,