Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Hey Everyone! 

For those applying to UofT and Laurier, what streams did you choose?

My choices

UofT: Social Justice and Diversity 

Laurier: CPPO

Hi everyone!

First time posting, long time lurker. I was just curious about what people's thoughts were on Carleton's 2 year MSW program. I don't want to move out of the city so I really want to stay local. I didn't see too many people talking about it in this thread. Anyone know much about it? Is it super competative? Have any of you applied? For those who have been accepted in the past and decided not to go, what kind of experience do you have?

I'm currently in the process of trying to rack up more experience. I'm thinking I'll apply in December for Fall 2016. I have 6 months full time government experience in health service/research and 1.5 years experience working as an addiction counsellor at a youth treatment centre (I still work there ft). I have volunteered at the court house in the past to support at risk women and I plan on picking up a volunteer gig this year to help boost my application.

I'm probably sitting at around 2,000 hours and I know Carleton requires minimum 3,500. I will probably have just enough by December...

If anyone has insight, I would love to hear from you! :)

@Bettyg asides from going to the gym, I'm planning a trip in the summer so my mind's being occupied by getting together an itinerary for that! haha 

@lee22 - Laurier: CPPO + IFG (integrated option with emphasis on CPPO)

U of T- Health & Mental Health with a collaborative degree option in health services and policy research (non-PhD option)

:)

soapaddict - it depends on which school.  Laurier looks at the last 10 courses (although I'm sure they give weight to the overall GPA as well).  UofT only counts 3rd or 4th year courses in the 10 they look at so if you have an 2nd year courses in your final year they will look back further to make sure you have 10 3rd or 4th year and then calculate you GPA from that.

soapaddict - it depends on which school.  Laurier looks at the last 10 courses (although I'm sure they give weight to the overall GPA as well).  UofT only counts 3rd or 4th year courses in the 10 they look at so if you have an 2nd year courses in your final year they will look back further to make sure you have 10 3rd or 4th year and then calculate you GPA from that.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone who applied to Windsor's advanced standing program knew when we will start hearing about admissions decisions? I can't find the information anywhere and since the program starts in May,I figure the decisions must be earlier than the other advanced standing decisions from Ontario schools (early-mid march). 

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey guys,

I just found out I won't be home at my permanent address this upcoming April where my decision letter will be sent for the U of T (2 year). I was wondering if anyone knows approximately when decisions go out, and if there are ways to check online...or even if "size" of decision letter is any indication?

**Edit: as a non-U of T student I'm not on ROSI, just the standard U of T school of graduate studies application.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Edited by wishingonuoft

lee22 - I am in the Social Justice and Diversity stream as well.  Are you advanced standing or 2-year?  For Laurier I am applying for IFG.

I am in 2-year.

I am freaking out, the UofT 2-year says "Under Review".

WOOOO, does everyone elses say that? Also is it rolling addmission or do they do everyones at once?

I am in 2-year.

I am freaking out, the UofT 2-year says "Under Review".

WOOOO, does everyone elses say that? Also is it rolling addmission or do they do everyones at once?

My says Under Review as well...I imagine it will stay that way for a while!! I am very excited to hear back though! April or later seems to far away!! 

Hey guys,

I just found out I won't be home at my permanent address this upcoming April where my decision letter will be sent for the U of T (2 year). I was wondering if anyone knows approximately when decisions go out, and if there are ways to check online...or even if "size" of decision letter is any indication?

**Edit: as a non-U of T student I'm not on ROSI, just the standard U of T school of graduate studies application.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Hey there, 

from what I remember people saying last year large envelope is an acceptance package and small letter size is a rejection or wait list.

As far as checking online, there is a way to do it. I remember doing it last year even though I am not / never was a UofT student. There is a way to get your UofT student number from your application and then create a password which allows you to view your ROSI account and see if you've been accepted (it won't show rejections though, only acceptances) 

I wish I could help more but the process of creating the ROSI account is really fuzzy in my mind, hopefully someone else can add more details about this :) 

I believe when you log in to ROSI where it says "Registration" the status there changes, I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that from an old post.

@b39 thanks! I made a ROSI account, do you happen to know where one would check for the application on it?

It was on the very first page (I believe the home page) when you log in. If you were accepted it would say successful or something along those lines but that only showed up maybe 2 weeks before the letters arrived. I think people saw the status of acceptance on ROSI mid-March for the 2 year program and then letters arrived first or second week of April.