Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Anyone heard from UNC regarding fellowships?

BTW-sorry, I've fallen off the map recently! Congratulations to everyone who is getting great news! I'm so glad you all are hearing good things!!!

Hello Roflbot3000, 

I haven't heard anything about UNC Funding yet, just want I was told when I spoke to Dr. Blair. At this point its making me quite nervous about funding but she did say that they need to crunch some numbers because the offer funding for five years. 

We might end up being in the same cohort!!!

Ugh, really bummed out right now. I was supposed to fly out this morning for a funded visit to RPI, but of course this is the one time that a ton of snow dumps itself on west Texas... all the flights are canceled.

I really hope that I'm not out a bunch of money on this.

Hey, of those applying to Wisconsin Madison, in communication in general or in film in particular... anyone has got a rejection already? because for what I know, they took the admissions decisions weeks ago, but I haven't heard a word from them :/. I see there is only one accepted for WiscMad film, and no rejections...?

Hey, of those applying to Wisconsin Madison, in communication in general or in film in particular... anyone has got a rejection already? because for what I know, they took the admissions decisions weeks ago, but I haven't heard a word from them :/. I see there is only one accepted for WiscMad film, and no rejections...?

I was told directly by a faculty member that all expected Comm Arts program spots have been filled (including Film), except for Communication Science...that was on 2/13. I was also told that they couldn't send out official rejections yet, but was encouraged to spread the news "unofficially".

Sorry for the bad news, I was very disappointed as well. MCS was my top choice.

Purdue's communication dept just posted on twitter that they're having a grad school welcome weekend with a photos and everything. I guess that means I didn't get in :(

Don't panic! You may be waitlisted. Once the 1st round of accepted students makes their decision they'll probably let you know something. Have you asked about your application status recently?

I just got the email. I have been wait listed. I'm still pissed though, I should never learn stuff like this thru twitter!

Yeah, I know that's frustrating. Unfortunately, that's how it is with most schools - at least in my experience. They only tell the first round of accepted students about the welcome weekend and everyone who hasn't been rejected just assumes they've been waitlisted. Luckily, though, you should probably find out soon about your position on the list since most applicants make their decision shortly after the campus visit.

Whoa. Just got an email to "chat over the phone" from a POI of a program that would be a huge discipline shift. This was my wild card application, not sure what to make of this development!

Whoa. Just got an email to "chat over the phone" from a POI of a program that would be a huge discipline shift. This was my wild card application, not sure what to make of this development!

Good luck! Discipline changes can be a challenge but well worth it!

Damn hermes, you must be butter, cause you're on a ROLL. 

Woot! Good job!

Very exciting...!!!

I'm sorry everyone who's not got into uwmadison. They're having horrible funding problems though thanks to their governor.

Me too (in terms of sympathies). :( I heard the cohorts are smaller across the board. The other school (SJMC) I think didn't cut their cohort size as much, but did cut the number of people getting funding (from like 25% to 10%). 

Congrats! More options are always way better than less :D

Edited by jltomato

First time posting--Does anyone have any information about UCSB Film and Media Studies? I see a couple of acceptances posted, but I haven't heard anything. The historical listings seem all over the place in terms of timing.

Just got the expected rejection email from nyu's mcc. Form, impersonal, from a grad officer. Boo hoo.

Plus I've been binge watching Buffy and it's season 6 and willow is blowing it...boooo hooooo!!

Just got the expected rejection email from nyu's mcc. Form, impersonal, from a grad officer. Boo hoo.

Plus I've been binge watching Buffy and it's season 6 and willow is blowing it...boooo hooooo!!

:( Sorry to hear. 

Ah bummer kadel, sorry to hear that. but this was your first round! lots learned for next year, maybe?

First time posting--Does anyone have any information about UCSB Film and Media Studies? I see a couple of acceptances posted, but I haven't heard anything. The historical listings seem all over the place in terms of timing.

I've heard nothing. They're my number 1... but I know it's probably a longshot. :( The waiting and rejection is killing me.

I'm one of WiscMad rejections; my PoI wrote to me personally to apologize about the generic rejection, he had interviewed me (he's a big name in the film studies field) and he told me that I was a strong applicant and that they really considered me, but at the end of the day they only had 4 positions open and there were way too many good applicants. I guess that's what happens when you apply to one of the best media schools in the world. At least it was very soothing receiving his email, I feel a bit more secure on my project knowing that he supported it.

Thank you guys who've written kind words of moral support to those who applied to Wisconsin Madison :) 

I have three rejections and three more unis to go... my hopes are starting to plummet :(

Just got accepted from the LSE/USC joint program in Global Communication and Global Media. It's a 2 year program (One in London, one in LA) that earns you 2 MAs, but funding is tough to come by. I'll find out later about my funding offer, but I 99% sure that I would have to take out significant loans.

But still an option worth considering! And I would never want to complain about an acceptance!

Just got accepted from the LSE/USC joint program in Global Communication and Global Media. It's a 2 year program (One in London, one in LA) that earns you 2 MAs, but funding is tough to come by. I'll find out later about my funding offer, but I 99% sure that I would have to take out significant loans.

But still an option worth considering! And I would never want to complain about an acceptance!

Congrats! I hope they can come through with some decent funding for you!