Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Did the MIT CMS emails all go out at once/were they automated?

I haven't heard anything yet from them and my application on the website is still the same, so I don't know if this is good or bad. 

This. Is. Terrifying. 

I haven't heard anything yet from them and my application on the website is still the same, so I don't know if this is good or bad. 

This. Is. Terrifying. 

All I know is that the committee met today and rejected me and Shoelle! So if you didn't hear anything, I think that's at least partially good news.

I've got a meeting with Purdue Calumet next week. Its not a large school and it focuses on professionals, not researchers, but I need to boost my chances after the Purdue main campis rejection.

I also emailed the directed at IU Bloomington, there's going to be a committee meeting this week, but there may not be any word for anyone until the week after next. Spring break starts Monday here.

Wuuutt the week after next? that's almost April! When I had the interview they said that they were meeting "beginning of March", I wonder what's 'beginning' for them :P

ay, I so wanna know. Lemme know if you hear any from them please, I'll do the same. And good luck!

This. Is. Terrifying. 

Good luck! I think that must be good news...

Rejected by Northwestern. 6 rejections in a row.. only 2 left.

Sorry to hear that but I was, too. Solidarity!

For those of you who are on wait lists... are you following up with the coordinator or just waiting patiently for an update?

This. Is. Terrifying. 

I also haven't heard anything.

Freaking. out. 

Sorry to hear that but I was, too. Solidarity!

For those of you who are on wait lists... are you following up with the coordinator or just waiting patiently for an update?

I just asked the director of the graduate program in UCSD  about the numbers/chances for those in the waiting list. He said that there's 5 people in the waiting list, 14 people accepted (did you know that the program was that big?!) and that usually there's a 44% acceptance rate. So... guys, for those in the waiting list it sounds like we have good chances!

Wuuutt the week after next? that's almost April! When I had the interview they said that they were meeting "beginning of March", I wonder what's 'beginning' for them :P

ay, I so wanna know. Lemme know if you hear any from them please, I'll do the same. And good luck!

I just got the email rejection. It said it wasn't because I was a bad candidate but either I wasn't a good fit or too many applications. Either way, it looked like a generic. I'm really bummed out, Ill have to scramble for a community college masters. :(

Maybe if I do enough research I can get in a good place in two years :'(

edit: i just reread it, it was signed by the Director, and I've emailed him before so this was definitely a generic. he doesn't write like that :,(

Edited by lewhitman

what!?

but you said that they would give the answers in a couple of weeks?  I still have no news from them because my application is ran through the Fulbright program, so I might not know anything in several weeks, as it happened with my UCSD application...

Ay, I'm really sorry about that. However, if you're applying to MA think that you can do a MA somewhere not that cool, and then prepare a nice PhD application and get it. Don't get too down about it, you never know where you're gonna end up. Maybe in some years you'll look back and see that you didn't have anything to worry about.

Still, I'm sorry to hear it :( 

what!?

but you said that they would give the answers in a couple of weeks?  I still have no news from them because my application is ran through the Fulbright program, so I might not know anything in several weeks, as it happened with my UCSD application...

Ay, I'm really sorry about that. However, if you're applying to MA think that you can do a MA somewhere not that cool, and then prepare a nice PhD application and get it. Don't get too down about it, you never know where you're gonna end up. Maybe in some years you'll look back and see that you didn't have anything to worry about.

Still, I'm sorry to hear it :(

i hope so. im gonna try to get into the Hammond Purdue campus, but I may have to just pay my way in, I think they're TAs are really underfunded. IDK. I can only hope. I'll check some other places. 

I'm really upset, I dropped about $400 in Bloomington between the visits and application, no more, because I also took off work. The director made it seem like there would be no problem with me getting in :(

> I dropped about $400 in Bloomington between the visits and application, no more, because I also took off work. The director made it seem like there would be no problem with me getting in

Man I feel your pain on that one. For one of my schools I visited campus a bunch of times, including a prospective applicants' open house and a public discussion group. I also met in person with two POIs, BOTH of whom said incredibly encouraging things ("i can imagine quite a few people on our faculty who would be really interested in your application" and "it just so happens I'm on the admissions committee, and this is exactly the kind of application we look for") only to get rejected. 

It stings. Heart goes out to you. 

> I dropped about $400 in Bloomington between the visits and application, no more, because I also took off work. The director made it seem like there would be no problem with me getting in

Man I feel your pain on that one. For one of my schools I visited campus a bunch of times, including a prospective applicants' open house and a public discussion group. I also met in person with two POIs, BOTH of whom said incredibly encouraging things ("i can imagine quite a few people on our faculty who would be really interested in your application" and "it just so happens I'm on the admissions committee, and this is exactly the kind of application we look for") only to get rejected. 

It stings. Heart goes out to you. 

They shouldn't be allowed to do that! I also had a POI tell me similar things! I was going to visit a third time as well if the weather hadn't gotten bad. I cut out Christmas and birthdays to apply for graduate school, now I'm scrambling to find one more place to apply before it's too late. IDK what I'll do. I don't have any job prospects with an anthropology degree and no internships. I completely focused on graduate school

For all of you media comms people out there that are terrified you may not get in somewhere or are just interested in checking out something else because your options aren't what you wanted, look into Texas Tech. I did my masters there in comm studies when it was only a terminal masters, so we got full funding and assitantships automatically with admission.  

This coming year they'll be starting their phd program, and have a few spot that come with full funding. The comms department has moved from arts and sciences to the college of mass comm, so there will be a ton of faculty options beyond what I had, as well as the chance to orient yourself toward more media related things (I did rhetorical theory myself). It really provides the best of both worlds. I'm also aware that they plan on shaping the program around the first few cohorts, so you'd have a chance to do what you want with the entire college at your disposal. 

That said, I am uncertain if they have filled all the spots since not too many people know of it, so it could be a nice chance to grab funding and a spot in a new place. For all of it's pros, tech is horrible a recruiting, so it could work to your benefit.

Also, for what it's worth, my masters program got me into two PhD schools and wait-listed at two others, so I can promise that the education is quality. 

If anyone has interest in it, I can help hook you up with someone to talk to or answer any questions. 

Also, sorry about double post, but everyone applying to PhD and already have or are working in Masters, when did you start your PhD search? The second semester?

I started looking for programs around September, but I started my MA in Jan. 2014 thinking I was going to go back to work, so yeah I guess it was technically my second semester that I started looking. I know the other people in my program continuing on started their searches around their second semester, maybe a little later.

I had my two top choices by the end of my second semester of my MA, but I figured out the last 3 around September of application season. I'll admit, I'm a bit of a procrastinator, so I wasn't entirely certain of where I was applying until I actually submitted and paid the application fees. I used the NCA guide, but my primary research interests are a bit "sexy" right now, I'm interested in risk communication, environmental communication, and rhetoric of science in relation to those.

No one school is top ranked for those topics, so I just tried to follow who was publishing the most on them. Good luck!

For all of you media comms people out there that are terrified you may not get in somewhere or are just interested in checking out something else because your options aren't what you wanted, look into Texas Tech. I did my masters there in comm studies when it was only a terminal masters, so we got full funding and assitantships automatically with admission.  

This coming year they'll be starting their phd program, and have a few spot that come with full funding. The comms department has moved from arts and sciences to the college of mass comm, so there will be a ton of faculty options beyond what I had, as well as the chance to orient yourself toward more media related things (I did rhetorical theory myself). It really provides the best of both worlds. I'm also aware that they plan on shaping the program around the first few cohorts, so you'd have a chance to do what you want with the entire college at your disposal. 

That said, I am uncertain if they have filled all the spots since not too many people know of it, so it could be a nice chance to grab funding and a spot in a new place. For all of it's pros, tech is horrible a recruiting, so it could work to your benefit.

Also, for what it's worth, my masters program got me into two PhD schools and wait-listed at two others, so I can promise that the education is quality. 

If anyone has interest in it, I can help hook you up with someone to talk to or answer any questions. 

I looked into this, but their application date for funding has already passed. ill keep and eye on the dept though thanx!

Did anyone here get into NYU Steinhardt? Or UC Irving?

Edited by lewhitman

Aghh, I've been waitlisted at my top choice program. Received a fairly nice email informing me that they expect to know by March 20th, but that they could not elaborate on my position on the waitlist. How vague. I am thinking of sending a concise, polite follow up thanking them for the info and to reaffirm my interest in attending, and to offer any additional materials if need be, unless someone thinks this would be a bad move? A part of me is tempted to contact the professor who said he'd be interested in being a potential supervisor for me, but I feel like that would look desperate/unprofessional. Plus, I'm sure there's not much else he can do at this point.

Ahhh!! Waitlist agony!!!

Aghh, I've been waitlisted at my top choice program. Received a fairly nice email informing me that they expect to know by March 20th, but that they could not elaborate on my position on the waitlist. How vague. I am thinking of sending a concise, polite follow up thanking them for the info and to reaffirm my interest in attending, and to offer any additional materials if need be, unless someone thinks this would be a bad move? A part of me is tempted to contact the professor who said he'd be interested in being a potential supervisor for me, but I feel like that would look desperate/unprofessional. Plus, I'm sure there's not much else he can do at this point.

Ahhh!! Waitlist agony!!!

A polite email never hurts.