Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

For everyone who got into the Oxford Internet Institute or other English schools (I'm looking into UCL) what are some tips for making the transfer across the Atlantic? My family is English, so culturally I'm fine, but I don't know anything about the academic differences (I'm the first college graduate in the family).

Hey lewhitman,

I'm a current student at LSE from the US.  I am not sure about the specifics about every program in the UK but, overall, the UK system seems to be more independent-study and hands-off, in terms of guidance.  Many UK schools also have a system where you take have two academic terms and then finals.  Thus, I'd advise you to be prepared to do a lot of independent reading, exploring ideas, and to seek out the opportunities/guidance you want and/or need.  Also, the grading system is quite different and takes getting used to.  It's normal to shoot for a 70 here and that's a great grade...

Finally, OII is a great program, though a bit small for me (and I only visited for their PhD program).  Their master's program is growing and they're doing some innovative stuff, as well as launching many new projects.  Depending on what you're studying, I'd suggest looking at LSE to see if there are faculty you're interested in working with.  I think OII is a two-year vs. LSE is a one-year degree and thoroughly helped me prepare for my PhD program.  UCL is reputable too, but, in general, not all UK degrees have the same reputation in the US so it depends on what you want to do and where you want to be after the master's degree.

Hope that helps.  Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Edited by coffeencomputers

Did anyone in this forum apply to the Rhetoric and Public Culture PhD at Northwestern? And, if so, have you heard anything from them? I emailed them almost three weeks ago asking for a status update, and they said the decisions would be made two weeks ago...

I know it's kind of sad...

I think most people are over the stress of waiting and at the point where they are making a choice. I know I'm about 99% sure where I'll be going now, just waiting on a very minor detail to clear up.

The support/information network isn't really needed as much anymore, I guess. 

I'm where I was about 6 months ago. Up sh*ts creek with an ongoing existential crisis on my future and the state of higher education. While the stream of rejections were most definitely disheartening, signs seem to point towards exiting academia. It's kind of terrifying what's going on right now.

I'm where I was about 6 months ago. Up sh*ts creek with an ongoing existential crisis on my future and the state of higher education. While the stream of rejections were most definitely disheartening, signs seem to point towards exiting academia. It's kind of terrifying what's going on right now.

I'm sorry :( 

Its busy time for classes right now.

Does anyone know anything about Iowa State University? I got contacted by a prof there Rey Junco, and looking online says he's looking for PhD students for youth and learning research. I'm guessing he's got funding, but he's also moved a lot in the last 2 years. If I can get into a financially secure PhD program I guess I shouldn't be too picky (even though this is my research area the degree would be in higher education, from a school if education, he's a psych background I'm an anthropology and media studies).

I have a email or Skype meeting with him in about a week, but I'm really conflicted. I'm just about to apply to Purdue Cal comm MA, but funding is shaky, but in Chicago area. I'm so conflicted.

Do you have prospects outside academia? Or maybe look for a museum/public edu to skirt around until next season?

Can anyone guide me to where I can find the most up to date school rankings?? Every ranking I have seen is different, and I am having a really hard time making my decision of what school to go to... 

Can anyone guide me to where I can find the most up to date school rankings?? Every ranking I have seen is different, and I am having a really hard time making my decision of what school to go to...

Well, there are lots of factors besides ranking to consider. How else do the schools and programs match up?

What are you going into?

/

Make you decisions based on what's best for you and your career, not on a subjective ranking list. The usa/forbes lists are suspect anyways, and  the NCA stuff is already seriously outdated. 

Which place has faculty that you work with well? How about research areas that you like? That's what you need to looks for, even if it ends up being south central louisiana tech.

Realistically, ranking and name recognition are the last things that will aid you in the long run. What it comes down to is how hard you work and how well those around you aid in that. Connections don't hurt, but you can make them from anywhere.

Rankings vary from year to year based upon a variety of factors including the # of publications a faculty has in a given year, the number of publications graduates have, etc. This is why they tend to be so different.

I can only speak for myself, but when I chose which school to attend I cared about how open the faculty was to mentoring students and class availability. Knowing what I do now, and I was incredibly lucky because it wasn't a consideration when I applied, I would also care about how well the other students interact with each other as well as how well the faculty gets along.

You can get answers to interpersonal questions by asking current students. Chances are there is someone here who will know. 

You can get answers to class availability for asking for a schedule of predicted classes. Organized departments can tell you.

Good luck.

/

Make you decisions based on what's best for you and your career, not on a subjective ranking list. The usa/forbes lists are suspect anyways, and  the NCA stuff is already seriously outdated. 

Which place has faculty that you work with well? How about research areas that you like? That's what you need to looks for, even if it ends up being south central louisiana tech.

Realistically, ranking and name recognition are the last things that will aid you in the long run. What it comes down to is how hard you work and how well those around you aid in that. Connections don't hurt, but you can make them from anywhere.

I disagree.  Ranking should play a significant role in your decision making process in those cases where you are choosing between schools that are ranked significantly different.  For example, I wouldn't recommend going to a school that is traditionally ranked in the last couple of schools ( i.e. you should not go to south central louisiana tech) if you have an acceptance from another school that is ranked higher.  The exception might be if the school is "known" for a certain sub-area that you're super interested in (i.e. you know you will be doing that sub-area.)  However, most people change their interests during graduate school, so even in that case it seems problematic.  The reality is that prestige does matter to a lot of potential employers.  In some disciplines more than 50% of the tenure track jobs go to graduate of only 5 schools.  

Edited by The Pedanticist

I disagree.  Ranking should play a significant role in your decision making process in those cases where you are choosing between schools that are ranked significantly different.  For example, I wouldn't recommend going to a school that is traditionally ranked in the last couple of schools ( i.e. you should not go to south central louisiana tech) if you have an acceptance from another school that is ranked higher.  The exception might be if the school is "known" for a certain sub-area that you're super interested in (i.e. you know you will be doing that sub-area.)  However, most people change their interests during graduate school, so even in that case it seems problematic.  The reality is that prestige does matter to a lot of potential employers.  In some disciplines more than 50% of the tenure track jobs go to graduate of only 5 schools.  

You're completely right. They also have the most funding opportunities, that are stable for graduate students Hard work or original ideas doesn't always equal success, because it's all about being seen and the perceived usefulness of youre research.

My advisor, that had the same trouble as me getting into a program out of undergraduate (she got her masters from the same place she's sending me too before she got into University of Iowa for PhD) said that if you aren't sure you'll get into a top school or at least the second tier, make sure you orientate yourself to be a great asset to a teaching school. if you can secure a diverse teaching role, it's easier to push into a tenure track, even if at a satellite campus.

Sigh. Arizona grad director said I'm one of their top applicants, but they've had MASSIVE budget slashing due to the state government attempting to pull huge amounts of funding from public higher education, including 100% from 2 year colleges.

So they've only sent out offers to 2 people and they may not send out anymore unless the funding picture changes. So great, I'm at the top of your list but you can't even afford to accept me -_-