Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2015--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Also, does anyone know if the Pitt English acceptances listed are for film studies?  People have posted acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections, but I haven't heard anything yet. I've been checking the website too… ugh.

No idea. Haven't heard anything either.

So emailed my POI at wisc- mad MCS track about my application. And I guess it's official that if you haven't received an interview by now you will be getting a rejection soon. 

They only had 4 places this year so it was very competitive. 

Is it? Idk, I'm afraid the director (that really liked me) may just be trying to see if all my writing is shit. Like grasping for straws. I have an exam today, its not a good day to stress

I should preface this by saying that I'm new to this whole process and am totally speculating, buuuuut....

Logically, I can't imagine they would waste time asking for a second writing sample from someone they wanted to reject. The faster they reject apps, the faster they get to the final few, so they have mega incentive to reject asap. If they delay that process to ask for more info, I'm thinking they either:

1. Want to accept you but have a reservation (maybe based on a test score, or a committee member not liking something about your original writing sample or something)

or

2. Are really torn between you and another candidate, meaning one of you may be waitlisted.

I think outright rejection seems unlikely, but again I'm talking out of my ass here. Just wanted to throw in my two cents because it would be a shame to panic over  what seems more likely to be good news.

Bloomington just requested another writing sample and I just sent it. Is that a good sign? Or really bad. Was my sample awful? I'm super worried now. Is that a normal thing?

I don't think it suggests that they didn't like your writing sample. I'd say they're probably trying to choose between you and someone else or making a waitlist decision. They may also be interested in seeing your writing on a different topic. Regardless, if the sample you submitted was bad, I doubt they'd ask for another one. 

Seems a lot of schools (but not all) are cutting back this year, as the applicant pools continue to grow. To be honest, unless something changes, I really feel for the people who will be applying in 3-4 years. 

It is pretty alarming, even for the students who are accepted given that funding is being cut left and right. Luckily, especially in comparison to other fields in the social sciences, communication and media studies seem to be doing decently in terms of money.

Thanks for the info about NYU, CaitlinMarie! I was getting a bit nervous because I think last year they held interviews earlier.

You are welcome! I hope we both get interviews!

You all are probably right. I contacted my advisor in my panic and she said the same. Either someone is fighting for me orvtheyre looking for a fellowship/funding. I really hope all is well. The Dept's were recently cut up and put in a new school, so maybe they're searching for funding. I'm from the cultural perspective and that was the dept that got the most hacking.

Just talked to RPI. Apparently the department there recommended me for admission but has to petition the dean because my 4 year old GRE quant score is 1 point to low. One. Point. 

I took the test 2 years out of undergrad, a while ago. I was hoping that the strength of my application would carry me over, but whoops haha.

"Thank you for your inquiry.  Please know that we are impressed by your credentials and hope that you can join us in the fall."

Just got rejected from Washington but got a nice email about making it to the final round. "Almost but not quite" is going on my grad tombstone 

So sorry to hear that autumn :(

UW rejection with the same email as Autumn. I can't really complain though since I was most likely to accept my offer to Pitt anyway.

Sorry to hear the UW news-but Pitt is a great program!

Just talked to RPI. Apparently the department there recommended me for admission but has to petition the dean because my 4 year old GRE quant score is 1 point to low. One. Point. 

I took the test 2 years out of undergrad, a while ago. I was hoping that the strength of my application would carry me over, but whoops haha.

"Thank you for your inquiry.  Please know that we are impressed by your credentials and hope that you can join us in the fall."

Wow! What was the quant score if you don't mind my asking? Glad you're being recommended for admission!

Wow! What was the quant score if you don't mind my asking? Glad you're being recommended for admission!

I took it when it was still in the old format, but it works out to me getting 145 and the school requiring 146 minimum. My other scores are astronomically higher, I'm just not the best at math (hooray rhetoric), and took the class almost 4 years after what was then my most recent math class. That all said, my study area has nothing to do with quant, hence the petition. 

Still wishing I had retaken it now. I know my score would have been way higher across the board, but applying to grad school is expensive, yo. 

I took it when it was still in the old format, but it works out to me getting 145 and the school requiring 146 minimum. My other scores are astronomically higher, I'm just not the best at math (hooray rhetoric), and took the class almost 4 years after what was then my most recent math class. That all said, my study area has nothing to do with quant, hence the petition. 

Still wishing I had retaken it now. I know my score would have been way higher across the board, but applying to grad school is expensive, yo. 

Ah, that makes sense, then. It seems like you should be fine. I feel like you're generally in if the program is petitioning for you. :D

Edit-spelling.

Edited by Roflbot3000