Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Nope, I didn't email any professors before submitting apps. As I mentioned in a previous post, I got an email from a POI (listed as my #1 choice on my app to Berkeley) one week after I was accepted. He said he would call me but he still hasn't. He also addressed me by the wrong name... Merp.

Omg are you me? Haha. My #1 PI also misspelled my name and said he wanted to chat but hasn't gotten back to me. If your name didn't clearly state your interests I would wonder if maybe it was the same guy haha.

One POI phrased it as I was "recommended for admission" but the other was like "congrats you've been admitted." I haven't gotten my official letter yet, but I can assume I'm pretty much in, right? POI #2 has me second-guessing haha

Question for those who got accepted to UW Madison: did you guys also get a blank email with an attached letter?

Yes I got accepted today. There was just a subject line with the attached email. Interesting they sent it as a .docx and not as a pdf...

Yes I got accepted today. There was just a subject line with the attached email. Interesting they sent it as a .docx and not as a pdf...

Okay, I guess that is the acceptance letter, then. I too thought that was kind of strange, in addition to the empty email body. Eh whatevs :D

Okay, I guess that is the acceptance letter, then. I too thought that was kind of strange, in addition to the empty email body. Eh whatevs :D

Yupps same here!

Omg are you me? Haha. My #1 PI also misspelled my name and said he wanted to chat but hasn't gotten back to me. If your name didn't clearly state your interests I would wonder if maybe it was the same guy haha.

One POI phrased it as I was "recommended for admission" but the other was like "congrats you've been admitted." I haven't gotten my official letter yet, but I can assume I'm pretty much in, right? POI #2 has me second-guessing haha

I think recommended for admission virtually means you have been admitted.  I think the College of Chemistry recommends the graduate school to admit you, and a few days later you should be officially admitted to the graduate school.

If you are curious, check your online Berkeley application.  The status should be changed from "submitted" to "admitted" once the graduate school has accepted you.

I would not worry at all.  I think there is just a lot of red tape and whatnot for such a large school/department.

Edited by Organometallics

I think recommended for admission virtually means you have been admitted.  I think the College of Chemistry recommends the graduate school to admit you, and a few days later you should be officially admitted to the graduate school.

If you are curious, check your online Berkeley application.  The status should be changed from "submitted" to "admitted" once the graduate school has accepted you.

I would not worry at all.  I think there is just a lot of red tape and whatnot for such a large school/department.

I have heard of a few cases of students being recommended for admission to the graduate college and getting rejected, but those were cases when the student doesn't meet something like a minimum GPA. So, as long as there isn't something like that going on I'd treat it as an admission.

For those who have applied to UCSF CCB, have you checked your application lately? I just noticed that it says I was selected for an interview. I chose an interview date, but there is literally no other information on the application page, or on the website about details of the interview process. I have not received any e-mails, phone calls, or anything in the mail. Any insight would be appreciated!!

For those who have applied to UCSF CCB, have you checked your application lately? I just noticed that it says I was selected for an interview. I chose an interview date, but there is literally no other information on the application page, or on the website about details of the interview process. I have not received any e-mails, phone calls, or anything in the mail. Any insight would be appreciated!!

I e-mailed the coordinator last week because I may have had conflicts and I wanted to know when the decisions were going to be made, and she said the latest decisions will be made is today. And judging by previous years, they said they sent e-mails. So I'm assuming they're going to send you an e-mail later today.

However, that doesn't show on my application page... So now I'm worried.  :mellow:  Goodbye top choice...

I e-mailed the coordinator last week because I may have had conflicts and I wanted to know when the decisions were going to be made, and she said the latest decisions will be made is today. And judging by previous years, they said they sent e-mails. So I'm assuming they're going to send you an e-mail later today.

However, that doesn't show on my application page... So now I'm worried.  :mellow:  Goodbye top choice...

The day is very young, don't count your chickens before they have hatched!! I hadn't even thought to check online until today, so I suppose it was  coincidence. Since I had not checked earlier, I thought I might have missed an e-mail or something. I will sleep better once I have confirmation!

Good luck.

Hey, so I saw that someone was accepted to University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and got a stipend package and everything. To that person: did you have to interview at all? I got an interview invitation from them but now I'm not sure if that's normal, or if they were just unsure about me.

Yes! I didn't receive any notification of some sort (email, call, mail), but my application page now has an "Interview" tab that says I'm invited for interview. Thanks for bringing this to attention, and congrats! :) Edited by ghostar