Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Today has been a day of ups and downs: found out my dog has cancer and is dying and literally 10 min later heard from MIT... Very funny how life works!

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear about that. :( I probably sound ignorant asking this question considering I've never had a dog/cat/pet before, but is there any way to do chemotherapy/cancer treatment on dogs similar to what they do with humans?

Also, I just received a fellowship from Purdue but not acceptance letter yet  :lol: They're probably waiting on my last letter of rec writer to submit his letter (whom I've been constantly bugging him about), but I'll take it as an "acceptance" for now

Anyone else still waiting to hear from UMich? I know atleast with applications to professional programs, they take foreverrrrr to get anything done, but I'm starting to worry! I'm applied for analytical and have been in contact with a PI. 

I'm waiting on Michigan. I haven't looked if others have received word from them, but I haven't heard anything. I applied Organic, but in general I'm not really getting worried until I've seen a decent number of other students reporting acceptances or we at least get close to Feb. No need to worry until we know there's something to worry about! I just got accepted to the last school I thought I would get into, so trying to predict this stuff is a crapshoot!

Word from a Scripps grad student friend is that all invitations have been sent out, and no email quite likely means no interview = rejection.

that's sad to hear...i called yesterday and they said they were still reviewing apps and to keep an eye out.....

that's sad to hear...i called yesterday and they said they were still reviewing apps and to keep an eye out.....

Hmm I wonder if this could be discipline-dependent then. My friend is in chemistry, but maybe the applications for biology-flavored programs are still under review. Sorry, didn't mean to kill hope!

Hmm I wonder if this could be discipline-dependent then. My friend is in chemistry, but maybe the applications for biology-flavored programs are still under review. Sorry, didn't mean to kill hope!

no worries. I noticed you are also applying to harvard chem bio - i gave em a call yesterday and they told me that they were meeting today to review apps, and interview invites should go out tomorrow.  :unsure:

no worries. I noticed you are also applying to harvard chem bio - i gave em a call yesterday and they told me that they were meeting today to review apps, and interview invites should go out tomorrow. :unsure:

Man, reviewing all apps in a single day? I wonder how many they received... Thanks for the heads-up about that.

Edited by ghostar

I'll see you there!

Undergrad doesn't matter anymore! We're going to grad school!

You still gotta pass. And, more likely than not, the grad school is going to expect you to remember what you learned from undergrad, so those classes can still matter.

You still gotta pass. And, more likely than not, the grad school is going to expect you to remember what you learned from undergrad, so those classes can still matter.

Fair.

Uh, not if you plan on applying for graduate fellowships.

In all seriousness, thanks for the reminder. Glad hard work can continue to provide benefits for us in the future. We could all use a little extra money.

HA! Jokes on you for still taking meaningful classes this semester.

My course load is as follows:

3 credits undergrad research, 6 credits online joke classes (music appreciation, world regions), 6 credits P/F joke classes (personal finance, geography of wine), and then 1 cr of P chem lab.

All hail AP credits and busting my ass off last year  B)

Hi,

I'm international (UK) and have been invited for some visitation weekends. Is it reasonable to ask for funding aid to visit schools? (In particular MIT and Caltech). Flights are approx $700. 

Thanks in advance.

Don't programs generally help pay for travel? All my programs so far have given me an allowance (~$500). Even if they don't reimburse for the whole trip, I still hope that they would at least partially reimburse up to their limit. Air travel funding is totally a valid question for grad school visits - I would definitely ask the program about it if I were you.