Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Just got mine too. Did you also get a generic email from the Dean of the Graduate School? I'm wondering if these emails are candidate-specific- mine said something about not being a good match for the program...

Yep, that sounds like what I got.

wtf why are there so many elite ppl this year? i'm just seeing harvard, MIT, stanford, berkeley and UIUC pop up everywhere.

where's the normal ppl at lol?

Normal person checking in. 

Freaking out completely because I just got in at UMich. =D Is UIUC elite?

Normal person checking in. 

Freaking out completely because I just got in at UMich. =D Is UIUC elite?

UIUC is ranked between #3-6 among US schools depending on where you look, so yeah it's pretty high up there!  Congrats on your admits!!

Congrats! UIUC is elite, especially for inorganic chem.

How about their materials program? I am trying to gauge the schools I am waiting on compared to the ones I have already been accepted to. I applied for UTexas-analytical and UNC- polymers/materials. I think those are my top two considerations at this point.

wtf why are there so many elite ppl this year? i'm just seeing harvard, MIT, stanford, berkeley and UIUC pop up everywhere.

where's the normal ppl at lol?

Another normal person B)  Just got into the chem physics program at Ohio State.

How about their materials program? I am trying to gauge the schools I am waiting on compared to the ones I have already been accepted to. I applied for UTexas-analytical and UNC- polymers/materials. I think those are my top two considerations at this point.

I also applied to the materials program.  Usually if a school is good in i-chem they are also in materials since the disciplines are closely related. I also applied to UT and UNC for materials as well. I think UT and UIUC are my top as well. 

Edited by chemcece

Damn, congrats! Did you have a phone interview beforehand

(Meanwhile I've been checking my phone and e mail constantly...)

Honestly, no. He just introduced himself, told me my application was competitive, and then said I was admitted. He asked if I had any questions after he told me the visiting weekend dates, and I said that I was kind of in shock but really looking forward to meeting him, and then asked about if/ when I would receive an email with more info on traveling/places to stay.

I think there's still plenty of time to hear from them. I have been checking my email/phone all week as well haha. There's always next week if you don't hear from them today! Best of luck!

Materials is closely related to inorganic, so my guess is that they are elite in that category as well. I'm not too familiar with the materials program at UNC, their inorganic is mostly geared toward energy (water splitting, electrocatalysis, etc.). That being said, UNC is one of the best in inorganic, so I'd imagine that whatever researchers they have for materials will be pretty strong. 

international, no pubs, graduated from u.s. university... applied to 17 schools

heard back from princeton (which is rejection) and that's it..

lol i'm so worried. i thought gpa and research experience were gonna solve everything but guess not 

i see so many pubs and high gpa candidates... feeling all rejection for this year

and when does international students acceptance wave start? Result shows that almost 80% of the accepted ppl are american citizens so far

Edited by asdfasdasdf

international, no pubs, graduated from u.s. university... applied to 17 schools

heard back from princeton (which is rejection) and that's it..

lol i'm so worried. i thought gpa and research experience were gonna solve everything but guess not 

i see so many pubs and high gpa candidates... feeling all rejection for this year

and when does international students acceptance wave start? Result shows that almost 80% of the accepted ppl are american citizens so far

I don't think they send acceptances separately since I heard back from couple of places and yes I'm also an international student in the US. There's still like more than a month before March so I wouldn't worry too much. 

Has anyone who applied to the inorganic program at Caltech heard back?   :wacko:

Not yet. We still have another week or so. 

And if it's any consolation, you and I have gotten into some amazing schools already. No matter what, we're going somewhere great.

And if it's any consolation, you and I have gotten into some amazing schools already. No matter what, we're going somewhere great.

True, thank you for the kind words.

I just checked my phone to find a delayed voicemail from an unknown number (I'm out of town with the family and cell service is terrible).  Ended up being an acceptance message from Caltech.  Could not believe it!

Best of luck to everyone else!