Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

Is it safe to say UIUC isnt giving out any more admission offers? What about UWashington? Cal?

edit - obviously there could be some exceptions, but I mean - are the bulk majority already handed out? 

Not sure about Washington or Cal, but I dont think UIUC isn't done.  Based on what some other's have posted, UIUC is admitting in order apps were submitted and a couple hundred people submitted on the deadline.  I talked to a prof there and she said they usually get 600 apps and admit about 200 of those. So I think you still have time. 

Thank you! I got an email with the acceptance and an attachment with all the information. They also had a link to a form to sign up for the visitation weekend and whatnot. When I login to check, it says the same thing though so I don't really know how that works lol.

Why was this downvoted? O.o

Not sure about Washington or Cal, but I dont think UIUC isn't done.  Based on what some other's have posted, UIUC is admitting in order apps were submitted and a couple hundred people submitted on the deadline.  I talked to a prof there and she said they usually get 600 apps and admit about 200 of those. So I think you still have time.

200 admitted in chemistry?? This can't be true.

200 admitted in chemistry?? This can't be true.

The larger programs admit a ridiculous amount of students. Wisconsin has this info available but I cannot find it right now. If I remember, they accept between 200-250 students and retain 50-60. During 2010, UNC accepted 155 and enrolled 47. For a program like UIUC, it seems like 200 admits would be appropriate. 

http://gradschool.unc.edu/pdf/2010-ADMISSION-STATISTICS.pdf

I just got an acceptance from UCLA and am very excited! Congratulations to everyone else as well, it seems like there are so many people getting into great schools!

Do you have any other information? Statistics, kind of group, what the professor said? It seems REALLY early for UCLA to respond. I had a friend hear back in APRIL last year ( I would personally die waiting this long)

Why was this downvoted? O.o

Accidental, mobile browser. 

Unfortunately there is no reversal option. 

Do you have any other information? Statistics, kind of group, what the professor said? It seems REALLY early for UCLA to respond. I had a friend hear back in APRIL last year ( I would personally die waiting this long)

Accidental, mobile browser. 

Unfortunately there is no reversal option.

I applied for the organic division. Sorry if it seems early(?). I do not know how they work, I was just happy and posting my results. Sorry

I applied for the organic division. Sorry if it seems early(?). I do not know how they work, I was just happy and posting my results. Sorry

No no! 

No need to apologize. It's awesome that you got in, I'm envious. I'm hoping to hear from them at some point too. UCLA has some great professors I would love to work with. 

It's good to know they are at least telling people this early as opposed to past years when it was much later (making decisions even more difficult)

May I ask were you accepted into a particular research group or was it a generic email? Thanks!

Hey there, I received an e-mail from a POI that I listed in my application but it was still fairly general. A congratulations, short blurb about visitation weekends, etc.

Should I assume a rejection from UW-Madison at this point? :P

According to the graduate coordinator, there were still a good amount of offers to go out. They were trying to get things done before this last Tuesday (first day of classes) but they did not appear to succeed with this.

It seems reasonable that more offers should go out next week but that is just my take on it.

When did you submit your application?

If I submitted my application a couple weeks before deadlines, but transcripts/LoRs werent finished until like Christmas time, does that leave me at the very end of the line? :/ meaning, I will probably have to wait until Feb/March to hear anything? This is the case for most schools. I think I lost my priority status, which kinda sucks.

If I submitted my application a couple weeks before deadlines, but transcripts/LoRs werent finished until like Christmas time, does that leave me at the very end of the line? :/ meaning, I will probably have to wait until Feb/March to hear anything? This is the case for most schools. I think I lost my priority status, which kinda sucks.

Not sure, if your app was in a few weeks ahead you might be okay. I submitted mine on Thanksgiving, but my last LOR wasn't submitted until Dec 7th. For some reason my CV didn't get attached so the admin emailed me to attach it on Dec 11.  I heard back Dec 16th but I was in contact with a POI before submitting it so I think that might have helped. Best of Luck!!

Not sure, if your app was in a few weeks ahead you might be okay. I submitted mine on Thanksgiving, but my last LOR wasn't submitted until Dec 7th. For some reason my CV didn't get attached so the admin emailed me to attach it on Dec 11.  I heard back Dec 16th but I was in contact with a POI before submitting it so I think that might have helped. Best of Luck!!

Thanks! Cya in Austin in a few weeks!  

Also does anyone know if Caltech has sent out their acceptances? I called and all I got was, "Well they have until April to decide."  I am trying to make flight arrangements for ACS (I have to book by Jan 27th) and I am departing on March 21.  Since Caltech's visit weekend goes until the morning of 21st it would make a lot more sense to fly out of CA than MSP.... I've lost all hope at this point  :unsure:

According to the graduate coordinator, there were still a good amount of offers to go out. They were trying to get things done before this last Tuesday (first day of classes) but they did not appear to succeed with this.

It seems reasonable that more offers should go out next week but that is just my take on it.

When did you submit your application?

Thanks! I submitted my application on the deadline. HMM.............. :rolleyes:....I hear a rejection calling my name 

Received email from UCLA with an acceptance :)

For the people who have gotten into Berkeley- do you feel like they are being extraordinarily nice and recruiting you more relative to other schools? I've had two personal emails, a phone call, and emails from grad students in the labs of POIs I mentioned in my personal statement. Not sure if this is part of how they attract students or if they're being genuine haha.

For the people who have gotten into Berkeley- do you feel like they are being extraordinarily nice and recruiting you more relative to other schools? I've had two personal emails, a phone call, and emails from grad students in the labs of POIs I mentioned in my personal statement. Not sure if this is part of how they attract students or if they're being genuine haha.

Berkeley only sent me sort of standard admission letters through an administrator. They were quite nice, but nothing personal. I have, however, had some contact with them regarding visiting weekends and they have been very accommodating so far. 

Anyone have any idea if Yale sent out a bulk of their offers? I know there were some on the results search, but I'm not sure if that is all. 

I am not sure, but as long as we don't see a bunch of rejects appearing on the results search page, I think there still might be a chance that they're not done yet.

Also, you might want to check your application status on the Yale Graduate Application Website. I was accepted first by an unofficial email from a professor and a few minutes later got another (generic) email saying that the decision has been made.

fancyfeast, i haven't got that feel from berkley.  I got a call from a PI i had listed on my SOP (who pretty clearly had just given my app materials the most perfunctory of glances), and then a formal acceptance email but other than that no contact, although im sure any number of factors might affect that.