Psych Results Page Questions/Clarifications

FinallyAccepted

I dunno, I attributed that to the fact that not absolutely everyone uses gradcafe. I assumed there were 3 acceptances because that's what grad students were saying happened in the past few years. As far as the waitlists being spread out, it seems (from the email they sent) that they were having an especially difficult time deciding.

Thanks for the input. Only three acceptances? I thought there would be more. They seemed to have put a lot of people on the waitlist. Were you waitlisted for the program? PM me if you don't want to share here. 

I dunno, I attributed that to the fact that not absolutely everyone uses gradcafe. I assumed there were 3 acceptances because that's what grad students were saying happened in the past few years. As far as the waitlists being spread out, it seems (from the email they sent) that they were having an especially difficult time deciding.

Hi to you both! I was also waitlisted for CUNY BASP. Is anyone who was accepted waiting to hear from other programs before deciding to accept or decline your offer for CUNY BASP? Hopefully you're not waiting for my spot at another university and I'm not waiting for yours at CUNY - feel free to private message me.

All the Psych programs at CUNY take only 2-3 people each year.  The exception is the clinical programs, which take a couple more.  

A faculty member actually told me this when they found out I was considering applying to a CUNY program. What a reputation, ha.

LOLOL!!!

I didn't know that going into it, and then I got the interview.

The current PhD students kept parroting "they only take the most qualified!!!" Then they stated that they got into the PhD program before they even earned a bachelor's degree.

Yeah, no.

I was not impressed.

Their psych and law program might be hot shit in the world where their only competition is Nebraska, but I am interested in doing work that is of national importance... Not in upstaging the only other American university with a psych and law department.

A professor @CUNY also bad mouthed a professor @Nebraska during the interview. How trashy :)

Edited by TheMercySeat

LOLOL!!!

I didn't know that going into it, and then I got the interview.

The current PhD students kept parroting "they only take the most qualified!!!" Then they stated that they got into the PhD program before they even earned a bachelor's degree.

Yeah, no. I was not impressed. Their psych and law program might be hot shit in the world where their only completition is Nebraska, but I'm interested in earning a degree that holds a little bit more value than that.

Well, THEY think it's hot shit compared to Nebraska  ;)

Well, THEY think it's hot shit compared to Nebraska  ;)

Ha!

Nebraska has a killer quant/educational psych program! I believe it has a rep for being the strongest in the nation, which speaks volumes given the scope of that field.

Well that sucks since I'm not a CUNY undergrad. I guess hope is pretty much lost then

You might be okay if you're not in psych and law!

Hard to tell.

did all of the current PhD students you meet come from CUNY? If so, look at the silver lining: I doubt institutions recruit the best and the brightest if they refuse to look beyond their current UG pool, so you may have dodged a bullet. Call me old fashioned, but I think applicants from ivies might give CUNY UGs a run for their money, especially considering that CUNY was historically open enrollment :)

Edited by TheMercySeat

You might be okay if you're not in psych and law!

Hard to tell.

did all of the current PhD students you meet come from CUNY? If so, look at the silver lining: I doubt institutions recruit the best and the brightest if they refuse to look beyond their current UG pool, so you may have dodged a bullet. Call me old fashioned, but I think applicants from ivies might give CUNY UGs a run for their money, especially considering that CUNY was historically open enrollment :)

No, not in psych and law. I'm not sure, honestly it didn't come up. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I really thought grad school was an open market but it is seeming more and more like it is not

Did anyone hear from (Columbia) Teachers College Developmental Psych program? I was told that they were making decisions this week!

Also, has anyone heard from the CUNY Graduate Center's CLD program? (Cognition, language and development)

PhD or MA? (not that I've heard back, I applied to the MA btw...)

PhD or MA? (not that I've heard back, I applied to the MA btw...)

I applied to the Developmental Psych (Human Development) PhD program at TC and got in. I'm not sure if Masters programs have heard yet. No word on funding yet though so I'm still waiting on my decision

• 4 weeks later...

Multiple questions here...Has anyone been admitted to the Experimental program at UNC-Greensboro (specifically Cognitive, but will take news from any track) yet? Has anyone heard anything from UNCG, such as rejection or waitlist?

Last month, I was told my application was still under consideration, but haven't heard back. I don't won't to pester them, so I'm asking here. I'm thinking I'm either on a waitlist if someone declines or I have been rejected and they haven't updated it yet.

Thanks for any updates from your situation if you have applied to the Experimental program at UNCG.

Thanks,

cd

Multiple questions here...Has anyone been admitted to the Experimental program at UNC-Greensboro (specifically Cognitive, but will take news from any track) yet? Has anyone heard anything from UNCG, such as rejection or waitlist?

Last month, I was told my application was still under consideration, but haven't heard back. I don't won't to pester them, so I'm asking here. I'm thinking I'm either on a waitlist if someone declines or I have been rejected and they haven't updated it yet.

Thanks for any updates from your situation if you have applied to the Experimental program at UNCG.

Thanks,

cd

I have no details about that program, but if it's a PhD program and you still haven't heard, I think it's appropriate to pester them. If applicants only have until 4/15 to make decisions, they should have let you know something by now.