Psych Results Page Questions/Clarifications

FinallyAccepted

Could one (or both) of the people who got interviews from University of North Carolina-Greensboro Clinical Psychology program PM me who their POIs were? Me and one of my friends both applied there and really want to get into this program. I'm a new member so I hope you're able to PM me.

Thanks!

Me too please! It's my top choice program and I'd be very grateful.

I'm curious why everyone wants to know which POI accepted/interview applicants have. The school I go to has professors that take 2 applicants a year on a pretty regular basis (which generally means another takes none that year). Also, why are they secret and need to be PM'd? I mostly ask because I have a result, but am hesitant to share because of all the secrecy in this thread.

Has anyone heard from UT Austin Clinical? I've seen one post but that's it.

I emailed their coordinator on 1/16 asking about interview invites and this was the response I got: "Faculty are still reviewing files.  You will be contacted by a faculty member if you are invited for an interview." Hope this helps. (They sure are taking their sweet time aren't they?)

I'm curious why everyone wants to know which POI accepted/interview applicants have. The school I go to has professors that take 2 applicants a year on a pretty regular basis (which generally means another takes none that year). Also, why are they secret and need to be PM'd? I mostly ask because I have a result, but am hesitant to share because of all the secrecy in this thread.

You know, I honestly was wondering the same thing! Though, to be fair, I think most people's POIs only take 1 person a year, so it may make things feel a bit more competitive. I think people want to know other people's POIs to either a) scope out the competition, or, most likely, B) see whether their POI already made invitations, indicating that the applicant didn't make the cut. As for the secrecy, well, I think most people like to keep the information close to the vest, just in case (though I still haven't figured out why it's THAT big of a deal).

EDIT: that is not supposed to be a smiley face with sunglasses but the letter "b" with a ")" following it. Apparently, emojis are more important than lists to the gradcafe!

Edited by rtxj90

Has anyone heard from UT Austin Clinical? I've seen one post but that's it.

I've heard nothing. Likely not really in the running for me anymore as two of my top three have already invited me to interview, but still curious to see whether I get an invitation to interview or not!

Edited by salparadise

People want to know the POI because, in some programs, the timing is very different based on professor. So, if Applicant A and Applicant B are both applying to Professor X and Applicant A gets an interview, it's unlikely that Applicant B will if they haven't heard yet. However, if Applicant A hears from Professor X but Applicant B is applying to Professor Y, there's still hope. That looks more and more convoluted the more I look at it...hopefully it make sense.

As for not revealing POI, I think it's just a way to maintain anonymity.

I've heard nothing. Likely not really in the running for me anymore as two of my top three have already invited me to interview, but still curious to see whether I get an invitation to interview or not!

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel at this point... It feels like perhaps it's not the smartest decision by the school to wait until the last minute to extend invitation invites, because they could lose out on a lot of potential students that may already be getting offers.

I emailed their coordinator on 1/16 asking about interview invites and this was the response I got: "Faculty are still reviewing files.  You will be contacted by a faculty member if you are invited for an interview." Hope this helps. (They sure are taking their sweet time aren't they?)

This helps, thanks! They really are taking their time!  I think though, that they don't have actual interview weekends like other programs, and it is come as you're available sort of thing.  I currently work in a lab there and that is what I have gathered, at least. Any chance you want to share your POI? Just curious!

This helps, thanks! They really are taking their time!  I think though, that they don't have actual interview weekends like other programs, and it is come as you're available sort of thing.  I currently work in a lab there and that is what I have gathered, at least. Any chance you want to share your POI? Just curious!

Absolutely, but only over PM, because that is apparently the proper protocol.

What CogPsych said. For programs where the POI sends invites/acceptances, it helps to know whether its yours or not. If it is and you don't hear around the same time, then it's probably a no. If it's not, then there's still hope that your POI just hasn't gotten to that point yet. For me, it gives me some semblance of knowledge about how things are going.

As for why they are secret, I don't think there's any reason other than personal preference and privacy. Some people don't feel comfortable publicly sharing their POIs and some are okay with it.

Thanks for being detailed about it Cog! I guess it makes sense. I would encourage everyone to not assume anything about the process at all though. I thought I was getting called to have an interview setup and was told I was accepted in the program. I was shocked (in a very good way obviously), but I don't believe there are any hard rules regarding anything in the process, other than you will be told when you have an interview or not, and whether you are accepted or not.

We probably wouldn't even need this thread/topic if people included POI on the Results Search page "comments" section, and then it would still be anonymous for people who wanted it to be. Hmm... Is there a reason why people WOULDN'T want to include POI on the Results Search itself?

Maybe as a group we should try to do that if we're comfortable (and yes, as a student of social psychology, I know how pointless it might be to put out an all-call requesting this to the group; bystander effect, anyone?).

It seems like it would resolve a lot of confusion, no? Or am I just coming off as a know-it-all?...

We probably wouldn't even need this thread/topic if people included POI on the Results Search page "comments" section, and then it would still be anonymous for people who wanted it to be. Hmm... Is there a reason why people WOULDN'T want to include POI on the Results Search itself?

Maybe as a group we should try to do that if we're comfortable (and yes, as a student of social psychology, I know how pointless it might be to put out an all-call requesting this to the group; bystander effect, anyone?).

It seems like it would resolve a lot of confusion, no? Or am I just coming off as a know-it-all?...

I think it just makes a little too much sense to do that. I wonder, how many people who submit results are actively posting as well? Maybe whoever runs the site would be willing to throw that stipulation up somewhere, making it clear that this would be anonymous. I'd be much quicker to share POI information doing that.

When I've posted in the results search, I haven't listed my POIs. Before I got interviews anywhere I thought that I would do that, but I actually feel sort of paranoid that my POIs go on gradcafe or something and see me posting and then know who I am and then go through my posts...I highly highly doubt that actually happens, but it's just this crazy fear I have...

When I've posted in the results search, I haven't listed my POIs. Before I got interviews anywhere I thought that I would do that, but I actually feel sort of paranoid that my POIs go on gradcafe or something and see me posting and then know who I am and then go through my posts...I highly highly doubt that actually happens, but it's just this crazy fear I have...

I feel the same way! I am even wary of putting my GRE scores on the results search posting because in theory my POI or a grad student could figure out who I am from the information on my application. I know that I am being ridiculous and they would most likely never care enough to do that but with such high stakes I am not taking any chances!

When I posted my result in December, it applied to all experimental applicants, which is what I said in the comments section, but I could easily have put my POI if it had been relevant.

POIs knowing that you posted you have an interview with them would be something to think about, if it would matter to them and they're searching GradCafe. But in terms of looking up stuff you've said, I don't think your results search posts are tied to your account. You don't even have to log in to post results.

I think it just makes a little too much sense to do that. I wonder, how many people who submit results are actively posting as well? Maybe whoever runs the site would be willing to throw that stipulation up somewhere, making it clear that this would be anonymous. I'd be much quicker to share POI information doing that.

I was wondering if there was anything obvious that I was missing about doing that. Then we (hopefully not "we" in that I will get in this year, but "we" as the collective group applying for psychology graduate schools) could in the future, potentially have years of data when looking through the results search. Not just that interviews were given, but that POI-a tends to request at the end of December, whereas POI-b in the same department waits until mid-January, making all of those applicants freak out. 

Let's keep thinking of reasons why it might or might not work and start a new tradition if it does. I felt this would have been so helpful last year when I applied the first time.

I can't think of a single rational reasin for why it won't work. However, wer're all into psych so we know rationality counts for almost nothing... :)

The main reason I feel reluctant about sharing this information out in public is that I feel it might be something my POI might oppose, like it's their own private buissness when they send out invites. In a way, it does have something to do with a POI's reputation... Another irrational reason is that since usually POIs admit just one new student a year, the second you list "accepted" or even "interview" you kindda expose yourself at least in terms of GRE scores if you choose to post them...

As I said- irrational!

I feel the same way! I am even wary of putting my GRE scores on the results search posting because in theory my POI or a grad student could figure out who I am from the information on my application. I know that I am being ridiculous and they would most likely never care enough to do that but with such high stakes I am not taking any chances!

I hear this, but I feel like there would be much easier ways of identifying me if someone truly cared that much! Now, I wouldn't post POI + GRE scores, but I really appreciated others posting their scores when I was reviewing previous results - I know others will find it useful in the future, too. 

I hear this, but I feel like there would be much easier ways of identifying me if someone truly cared that much! Now, I wouldn't post POI + GRE scores, but I really appreciated others posting their scores when I was reviewing previous results - I know others will find it useful in the future, too. 

It seems that Psych students are less likely to post their GPA/GRE scores than other disciplines. Annoying!

Edited by Tolman's Rat

When I posted my result in December, it applied to all experimental applicants, which is what I said in the comments section, but I could easily have put my POI if it had been relevant.

POIs knowing that you posted you have an interview with them would be something to think about, if it would matter to them and they're searching GradCafe. But in terms of looking up stuff you've said, I don't think your results search posts are tied to your account. You don't even have to log in to post results.

I was wondering if there was anything obvious that I was missing about doing that. Then we (hopefully not "we" in that I will get in this year, but "we" as the collective group applying for psychology graduate schools) could in the future, potentially have years of data when looking through the results search. Not just that interviews were given, but that POI-a tends to request at the end of December, whereas POI-b in the same department waits until mid-January, making all of those applicants freak out. 

Let's keep thinking of reasons why it might or might not work and start a new tradition if it does. I felt this would have been so helpful last year when I applied the first time.

You raise good points...like I said, it's an irrational paranoid fear :P I probably still wouldn't be comfortable putting my POI's name(s) in results posts, but I could imagine putting a description of their research so that it somewhat narrows it down for people, e.g. "neurolinguistics/language processing". That way people doing unrelated stuff would know that it doesn't apply to them. 

You raise good points...like I said, it's an irrational paranoid fear :P I probably still wouldn't be comfortable putting my POI's name(s) in results posts, but I could imagine putting a description of their research so that it somewhat narrows it down for people, e.g. "neurolinguistics/language processing". That way people doing unrelated stuff would know that it doesn't apply to them.

That could definitely be a way of doing it, too.

I've refrained from posting POI information publicly because a) it's really easy to take things online the wrong way and I don't want that to happen with any of my grad cafe posts (especially if I've shown preferences for certain schools, etc.) just incase schools are lurking & B) the privacy thing somebody else mentioned, the school/POI doesn't post a list of interviewing applicants for everyone to see so I feel it's proper to give the same privacy in return, yenno?

Posting POIs is probably harmless in the long run but you never know! Plus I have a feeling we've all had it beaten into us that everything online is public & will be seen by people like future employers, so we might be hesitant to post identifiable things to begin with.