Psych Results Page Questions/Clarifications

FinallyAccepted

I've refrained from posting POI information publicly because a) it's really easy to take things online the wrong way and I don't want that to happen with any of my grad cafe posts (especially if I've shown preferences for certain schools, etc.) just incase schools are lurking & B) the privacy thing somebody else mentioned, the school/POI doesn't post a list of interviewing applicants for everyone to see so I feel it's proper to give the same privacy in return, yenno?

Posting POIs is probably harmless in the long run but you never know! Plus I have a feeling we've all had it beaten into us that everything online is public & will be seen by people like future employers, so we might be hesitant to post identifiable things to begin with.

I agree completely to all of the above!

If UNC Greensboro peeps could pm me their poi, I'd be really grateful!

I received an interview invite at UNCG's clinical psychology program today, and I'd be happy to PM my prospective mentor :-)

I didn't post my GREs/GPAs publicly because I feel that program fit, SOP, and letters of rec are all far more important. They certainly were in my case, at least. Plus, we are all crazy enough on here as it is without adding fuel to the fire. ;) There really is no good quantitative way to predict whether or not you'll get in to a certain school.

Edited by kurumi2117

I didn't post my GREs/GPAs publicly because I feel that program fit, SOP, and letters of rec are all far more important. They certainly were in my case, at least. Plus, we are all crazy enough on here as it is without adding fuel to the fire. ;) There really is no good quantitative way to predict whether or not you'll get in to a certain school.

Yeah, at some schools my GPA was lower than all the people who also got interviews, but at other places mine was on the higher side. And GREs are all over the place! It's totally impossible to tell just from that (unless your stats are way way lower). I still put my stats though because why not.

I have seen several people put that they have amazing letters of recommendation. How do they know this? I waived my rights to see my letters. All I am going on is the fact that I haven't given them any reason to not give me good letters. They all agreed they could give me strong letters of recommendation, but I haven't actually read them. Are people just assuming their letters are good or do they ask to see them? 

I have seen several people put that they have amazing letters of recommendation. How do they know this? I waived my rights to see my letters. All I am going on is the fact that I haven't given them any reason to not give me good letters. They all agreed they could give me strong letters of recommendation, but I haven't actually read them. Are people just assuming their letters are good or do they ask to see them?

I haven't outright read my letters, but all of them said that they wrote me outstanding letters of recommendation. One of them basically told me everything she put in it. That being said, I'm still so curious to see what people wrote and if they did say anything negative. Ugh!

I haven't outright read my letters, but all of them said that they wrote me outstanding letters of recommendation. One of them basically told me everything she put in it. That being said, I'm still so curious to see what people wrote and if they did say anything negative. Ugh!

I think they are instructed to list any flaws, otherwise they wouldn't be as trustworthy, I think. I want to know what was in mine, but I also don't want to ask. I figure that I'll just keep doing my best and if I need letters again, then maybe they will all be willing and have more to write about. 

Two of my LOR writers asked me if they could write me a letter before I even got around to asking them, the third listened to me express my doubts about acceptance during the application process and spent a while reassuring me I was completely capable. So, I'm one of those people who would say I had strong letters, but I don't know that for a fact. I'm just assuming, I'm guessing most everybody else is too. :)

I didn't post that I had strong LOR's, but I know for a fact that I do have at least one because my recommender sent a copy of it to me. I really think she did it just to prove it was done as it was late, lol. However, I read the letter and it was outstanding! It actually brought a tear to my eye because I didn't realize she felt so strongly about me and my potential.

I do recall attending a panel once where professors say they have ways of communicating with admissions committees through the letters whether they should really consider certain applicants. 

I didn't post that I had strong LOR's, but I know for a fact that I do have at least one because my recommender sent a copy of it to me. I really think she did it just to prove it was done as it was late, lol. However, I read the letter and it was outstanding! It actually brought a tear to my eye because I didn't realize she felt so strongly about me and my potential.

I do recall attending a panel once where professors say they have ways of communicating with admissions committees through the letters whether they should really consider certain applicants. 

I didn't post that either, but I had one professor who sent the letter to me too. I cried too. I thought to myself "Wow, professors really pay attention to EVERYTHING you do". It was very detailed and had examples in it that I didn't even think about while I did them.

I didn't read letters, but know my LOR writers would have really done me a service with what they wrote. Last cycle, one asked for my #1 POI so she could call them on the phone. This cycle, one of the other LOR writers sent an unsolicited e-mail to a POI at the school she got her PhD from, though she didn't know the guy. If they're willing to do that, I'd imagine they'd write me good letters from the get go, but would have loved to know exactly what they put.

I didn't post that either, but I had one professor who sent the letter to me too. I cried too. I thought to myself "Wow, professors really pay attention to EVERYTHING you do". It was very detailed and had examples in it that I didn't even think about while I did them.

Exactly! It was very detailed. I can only hope that the other two were just as strong. I do have one interview so far! 

To the person who posted on the results page about all interviews being out for Colorado Boulder: is this just the cognitive program you applied to, or for psychology as a whole?

Is there anyone else here applying to the community psychology programs at DePaul or Portland State who can clarify what is going on with their interview invites? I've seen one post on the results page for interview invites from each of them from last week. Trying to figure out if the small amount of results page posting means they are done accepting or just that there are not very many people on this site who applied to those programs and I feel like it is a bit early to be contacting the schools directly...? Any info is helpful. Thanks.

Has anyone heard if GA State has sent out all invitations? I emailed the director but did not hear back. I'm guessing any chance of me getting an interview is a crazy long shot at this point since so many people heard a while back, but it's always best to get closure :)