2015 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

Enhydra

Thank you shadowclaw :) 

Actually, I'm wondering if any of you could offer insight into my decision. While I realize I'm in a great position and am fortunate to have the luxury of making this choice, I feel a bit stuck in deciding between two incredible programs: UC Davis and UChicago. I'm currently working in the lab I would join at UC Davis and the adviser has a great reputation within the field, plus I know we get along very well. On the other hand, I'm really not sure I want to live in Davis for 6+ years and I think UChicago has better resources (the Field Museum, etc.). Has anyone heard anything helpful about either of the programs/any advice to offer? 

In Davis, 40˚F is considered bum-freezing cold.  In Chicago, 40˚F is considered balmy (it can get down to -40˚F with windchill, too).  

When it sprinkles in Davis (you know, like once every five years), locals act as if it is the end of the world.  In Chicago, you can get a thunderstorm once a week for each week of summer.

In Davis, the summers are hot but dry.  In Chicago, the summers are hot and extremely effin' humid to the point where it will drive you absolutely mad (I bet there is a correlation between the horrid humid summers and prevalence of serial killers from the Upper Midwest). 

I am from Sacramento and moved to Minneapolis a few years ago.  I don't know much about UChicago but one thing that I do know about UC Davis is that it is easy to transfer advisors, or programs (even if in a completely different department) as long as prof/PI is willing to take you on.  

So, not quite an interview but a POI contacted me by email today asking if I would be interested in speaking with him over the phone or through Skype.  

These sorts of things make me nervous and prone to tell corny jokes (seriously, I am either one of the most entertaining, or embarrassing, public speakers).  

Can't we just talk through email?

I got a great email from the department secretary from one of my programs. Evidently my POI hasn't responded to their emails for confirmation that they are willing to be my advisor. The secretary told me to email them ASAP about it, or else see if someone else is willing to be my advisor. Ugh.

Maybe that's at least a good sign that the department is willing to admit me. Hopefully it's just a case of disappearing emails or forgetfulness on my POI's part.

Thank you shadowclaw :)

Actually, I'm wondering if any of you could offer insight into my decision. While I realize I'm in a great position and am fortunate to have the luxury of making this choice, I feel a bit stuck in deciding between two incredible programs: UC Davis and UChicago. I'm currently working in the lab I would join at UC Davis and the adviser has a great reputation within the field, plus I know we get along very well. On the other hand, I'm really not sure I want to live in Davis for 6+ years and I think UChicago has better resources (the Field Museum, etc.). Has anyone heard anything helpful about either of the programs/any advice to offer? 

Which program did you apply to within UC Davis? Animal Behavior, Ecology, etc?? 

Thanks for the advice Cruical BBQ. I'm from Sacramento so I may be a little sick of the sun by now. 

clupantz, I applied to ecology

I went to school at Northwestern and i'm headed to UChicago next year for Molecular Biosciences (but evolutionary biology always holds a special place in my heart). UChicago is just a fuckin powerhouse when it comes to evolutionary biology, i mean... Neil Shubin. Enough said. haha but in all seriousness the Field Museum is an amazing resource on top of everything else. at NU i took a grad class at the Field Museum and it was terrific, just a very unique place to learn and do research!

Chicago winters are tough, yes, but as long as you invest in a good coat and boots you'll be fine. the summer in chicago makes up for the winter entirely. i cannot even begin to list all of the activities/festivals/events that pop up in chicago over the summer. it's a GREAT city to be in. I wouldn't say that its very balmy or humid or anything, it's just typical summer to me! yeah there might be rain and thunderstorms, but thats really like any city in my opinion. nothing really out of the ordinary. in chicago you definitely have seasons which is something i don't really think california has. overall i just think it's a beautiful city that has so much to offer compared to other cities (and Davis especially in my opinion)

I'm a little biased but i really think that the environment of chicago, especially for evolutionary biology with the field museum and UChicago, in general, is an atmosphere for graduate study that is absolutely unparalleled. the program also really impressed me with their level of commitment to their students, but i feel like you will get that anywhere you decide :)

@sfrie feel free to PM me if you need to talk about UChicago or Chicago in general, it's my favorite city in the world!

Thanks for the advice Cruical BBQ. I'm from Sacramento so I may be a little sick of the sun by now. 

Yeah, I wanted to experience some "real" weather for a change.  A friend of mine also moved to Chicago around the same time, like me she was/is all about the Nor Cal but also like me we both really love[d] the Upper Midwest.  From a "sunny" Californian's prospect, it was the humid summers that I had an issue with, not the winters.  

Ironically, if I were still in Sacto I would go to UChicgo but now I am really hoping to get into Davis even though it is not my #1 program choice.

I did my undergrad at UCLA and took some EEB courses. PM me if you have any questions about UCLA!

Thank you everyone for the amazing advice. You all are incredible and I really appreciate the help with this decision. I did my undergrad in the pacific northwest, so I'm hoping for some actual weather again. I think I am leaning towards UChicago, but it's hard to let go of the opportunity to study under the well respected adviser in Davis. Who knew the most difficult part of this process would be the actual decision and not the applications/interviews??

Best of luck with your Davis application, Crucial BBQ!

Does anyone know of a "rolling-admission" phd in biology or ecology? I am hoping to hear back from places soon and I am trying to come up with a plan B in case I am rejected from each university. 

Thanks!

I know Utah State does rolling admissions, although this may depend on which department you apply to (you pick a home department). I looked into wildland resources and biology, and both have rolling admissions, but January 15 was the last date to apply for consideration for fellowships. Other forms of financial support may still be available.

I think (maybe) LSU also has a rolling admission system. Don't quote me on that though... Pretty sure Oregon State does as well. 

Similar to Utah State, Oregon State doesn't have an actual Ecology department. They have several different departments that offer an ecology track. Deadlines for Environmental Science, Forest Ecosystems, and Zoology have already passed. The Wildlife Science program does have rolling admissions, but I don't know what your interests are.

Got on touch with that POI about confirming her intent to be my advisor. Phew! Glad that's sorted out. I hope that since the secretary asked me to contact her ASAP, an admissions decision will appear in my inbox soon. I really need some good news!

Got on touch with that POI about confirming her intent to be my advisor. Phew! Glad that's sorted out. I hope that since the secretary asked me to contact her ASAP, an admissions decision will appear in my inbox soon. I really need some good news!

Fingers crossed for you!

Does anyone know of a "rolling-admission" phd in biology or ecology? I am hoping to hear back from places soon and I am trying to come up with a plan B in case I am rejected from each university. 

Thanks!

Not rolling, but the MEES program at Maryland does spring admissions.  So does URI. 

Well that's rejections from 2 of my 4 schools. :( Very general rejection letter from UNE, nothing from my PI who seemed to enjoy talking to me on the phone about why...(no e-mail from him or anything) Is it appropriate to send him a quick e-mail letting him I know I got the letter and thanking him for his interest in me and talking with me for the past 6 months, at least just to keep a cordial relationship with him as a potential fellow future collaborator?

I must admit I'm starting to get discouraged now. I know I have 2 schools yet, but these 2 schools happen to be my first choices. And I would be much more upset if I got rejected from these schools. I did just send a quick e-mail to my PIs at both of those schools to check in and ask about any potential information and if they'd like to speak on the phone. 

My anxiety levels just shot through the roof though after receiving that rejection letter. I know there's a lot of factors that go in to getting accepted, and I have tried to be fully expecting the possibility that I get rejected from all four schools. I've applied to a few jobs/internships as a back up, but in general I am very nervous. I don't really have anything concrete set up to do next year if I don't get in to graduate school. And I really really want to go to graduate school next year.  :(  :unsure:

Well that's rejections from 2 of my 4 schools. :( Very general rejection letter from UNE, nothing from my PI who seemed to enjoy talking to me on the phone about why...(no e-mail from him or anything) Is it appropriate to send him a quick e-mail letting him I know I got the letter and thanking him for his interest in me and talking with me for the past 6 months, at least just to keep a cordial relationship with him as a potential fellow future collaborator?

I must admit I'm starting to get discouraged now. I know I have 2 schools yet, but these 2 schools happen to be my first choices. And I would be much more upset if I got rejected from these schools. I did just send a quick e-mail to my PIs at both of those schools to check in and ask about any potential information and if they'd like to speak on the phone. 

My anxiety levels just shot through the roof though after receiving that rejection letter. I know there's a lot of factors that go in to getting accepted, and I have tried to be fully expecting the possibility that I get rejected from all four schools. I've applied to a few jobs/internships as a back up, but in general I am very nervous. I don't really have anything concrete set up to do next year if I don't get in to graduate school. And I really really want to go to graduate school next year.  :(  :unsure:

I understand katsharki3! But you will be okay!! I do not have much in terms of advice, since I am in the same boat as you, but maybe check Texas A&M biology board for last minute phd postings?? One way or another, good luck!! 

I understand katsharki3! But you will be okay!! I do not have much in terms of advice, since I am in the same boat as you, but maybe check Texas A&M biology board for last minute phd postings?? One way or another, good luck!!

There are still several Phd postings everyday on the ECOLOG listserv. You should check it out!!

I can commiserate! I got really worried about all of my applications when I didn't get interviews at UNC and UTK. I had a pretty great fit which those programs and my POIs there seemed really excited about me, especially at UTK (which was pretty much a perfect fit). Not getting in somewhere where there was such a good match really brought my confidence levels down. But after a few days, I got over it and confidence returned. There really are a ton of factors that go into these decisions! Don't let what happens at one program kill your confidence!

I don't really have a solid backup plan, either. The TAMU wildlife job board does have lots of temporary tech positions (as do other boards) which are a great way to gain experience and make some cash. I found a good job for the summer. It's a few hours from home, which my husband finds annoying, but hey, it's only 2 months. If I don't get accepted anywhere, I'll be looking for a fall job and programs with spring admissions. Actually, thinking about it, I might be able to get a lab instructor job at some of my local schools if they have any openings. Either way, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Stay positive :)

Thanks for the advice. My research interests are kind of specific...I would love to work with shark reproductive biology, and if that doesn't work out, definitely at least work with fish reproductive biology and life history. So I'm not sure there are many last minute masters or PhD postings that I would really have appropriate experience for. But I am perusing that board and the AFS job postings board for field tech jobs and such.

I'm just very anxious now though. Trying to enjoy my last few days of spring break now...but it's not really working out. 

Thanks for the advice. My research interests are kind of specific...I would love to work with shark reproductive biology, and if that doesn't work out, definitely at least work with fish reproductive biology and life history. So I'm not sure there are many last minute masters or PhD postings that I would really have appropriate experience for. But I am perusing that board and the AFS job postings board for field tech jobs and such.

I'm just very anxious now though. Trying to enjoy my last few days of spring break now...but it's not really working out. 

Katsharki3, this might be a longshot and I do not know which island you are on...but... why don't you stop in to see a few professors at UHM or UHH and ask them about their lab opening or if they have any collaborators that have openings. Asking in person and building that relationship is 1000 times better than an email. You are in a great spot for shark research and I am sure that if you do not get accepted this go around then you could work with NOAA or a similar organization in Hawaii and definitely get in next year!

As a side note, I am completely envious of you being in Hawaii! I lived 10 mins away from UH-M for a bit in 2012 and absolutely loved it. I cannot wait to go back!

I don't know what to do with my situation here... :( I had an awesome interview (lab visit, etc) almost exactly a month ago (my top choice), and I was told by my POI that a decision will be made two weeks after my interview, and that they will get in touch with me. Well, it's been two weeks since that "decision week" and I still haven't heard any word, and I'm getting maddeningly frustrated... should I email the POI to check on any update? I know for sure that the program requires their admitted applicants to respond by April 15 (based on my conversation with the current students there when I was invited for an interview), and at this rate I have barely a month to decide (if I'm admitted at all). I know that this school has a spring break next week, so I don't know if the decisions will be sent out during then or afterwards (or, if I'm rejected, I'm wondering if they'll hold off until April to send it out since I won't have to take time to decide on any offer at all). Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi foggy,

I had the exact same thing happen to me (I visited about three weeks ago and they said I should know either within the first two weeks of march or before) and I have yet to hear anything. So i just pinged him a quick e-mail following up and asking if there is a status update for my application and am now anxiously (!) waiting for a response. Hope this is somewhat helpful!

Good luck everyone!