Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

So, what's the deal here? They've already admitted people, and none of them have posted to the Results page? Or your POI in particular knows that you weren't accepted to work with them?

They haven't issued decisions yet. I must check my email and the website 100 times a day. I'm hoping for any day now, although the last 2 years at least they released the decisions on Fridays. Once I hear, I'll be sure to post right away. 

Question: If accepted in a PhD program in the first wave of acceptances, how much time is one usually given to make a decision? I'm waitlisted at UChicago and fearful that I will have to make a decision if accepted into Northwestern before potentially being admitted at UChicago (assuming I am admitted from the waiting list). I don't expect to come off the waiting list at UChicago until late March or April.

Have any of the UCSD acceptances received the formal offer and/or financial package? 

Nothing yet. The letter attached in the second e-mail I got from the department says "The Admissions Committee is working diligently on funding arrangements and information regarding financial awards will come in a separate communication as soon as it is available."

Question: If accepted in a PhD program in the first wave of acceptances, how much time is one usually given to make a decision? I'm waitlisted at UChicago and fearful that I will have to make a decision if accepted into Northwestern before potentially being admitted at UChicago (assuming I am admitted from the waiting list). I don't expect to come off the waiting list at UChicago until late March or April.

from what I've gathered, most institutions abide by the official decision day of April 15th

Just got Purdue. Stated that will be admitted thru MS first. Will be there for 5 years. The funding is a bit confusing for me. Who else is the one that posted their Purdue acceptance on the result page? Would love to discuss our funding. 

:) Yes, I finally got something. 

Anyone staking claim for the Temple acceptance on the results page? Love their program and would really like to know if I should stop clinging to hope (there's a Journey's song to find in all of this). 

If any UC-Irvine admits have any questions feel free to PM me. 

Ah, I saw you did this last year too, how awesome.  You are quite the UCI unofficial ambassador!  I'm hoping to hear some good news... though it looks like acceptances and wait lists have been sent out. :(  Keep being awesome though, and congrats to everyone else. 

I know this was asked about 10 pages back, but I can't find it.  

Who else is in UCLA limbo with me? I'm hesitant to call or email if anyone else has recently...

Any updates? If not, I may call Wendy Fujinama. 

Who else is in UCLA limbo with me? I'm hesitant to call or email if anyone else has recently...

Do it.

What is your subfield btw? I think it may have something to do with that.

Edited by thewildchild

I am! Still no updates. Also in limbo for USC. Not that most people heard, just the deadline was earlier.

Call! I called her a week ago, and she was very friendly. What I heard (as of last Wednesday) is that we haven't been rejected or admitted, the committee was "crunching numbers," and that there are one, maybe two, more spots. I'm curious to know if there are any updates!

(I tried to register a while back but my account was never approved. I hope that despite the size of this thread this will still reach people who might be helped by it.)

I applied to twelve programs at ten schools last year with what I felt was a strong record: a good GPA, highish GREs, strong letters, previous graduate courses, and a few co-authored papers in revision, submitted, or in preparation. I also had some work/research experience in a related field. That application cycle didn't go well.

I didn't get into a single PhD program.

I nearly began an expensive, unfunded master's program, thinking it would make the difference in subsequent PhD applications, but circumstances intervened and it wasn't possible. Instead of starting the master's program, I waited a year and tried again. I applied to more schools than last year, as well as to a wider range of schools in terms of both rankings and areas of emphasis. I felt I had tried to tailor my applications to each program last year, but this year I really agonized over each one, despite applying to so many more this time; that's my answer to the earlier application quality/quantity debate here. At their suggestion, I talked more with letter writers about how my materials and their letters should be framed so we would all be on the same page. Theory had been a big part of my statements last year, which I thought my record would support; but this year I dialed it back and focused on interests that aren't necessarily trendy but also aren't as marginalized.

This time I've gotten into several programs, including a couple that rejected me last year. Don't give up, guys. It's an expensive, difficult, isolating process, and waiting a year can be a huge blow emotionally (it was for me), but fashions, committees, and applicants' interests change from year to year. I stayed involved with research to stay sane and to buffer the urge to throw in the towel, and I tried to present my year off as a strength because I had time to really weigh whether this is what I want to do. I don't know which of these changes helped, or if this year is just different, but things are going better the second time around.

Edited by randomnamegenerator

hey..has anyone heard from UMass??

Haven't heard anything yet. But based on the acceptances on here from last year we should be hearing soon....but it doesn't look like they send out any rejection notifications until March.

Edited by rlb

(I tried to register a while back but my account was never approved. I hope that despite the size of this thread this will still reach people who might be helped by it.)

I applied to twelve programs at ten schools last year with what I felt was a strong record: a good GPA, highish GREs, strong letters, previous graduate courses, and a few co-authored papers in revision, submitted, or in preparation. I also had some work/research experience in a related field. That application cycle didn't go well.

I didn't get into a single PhD program.

I nearly began an expensive, unfunded master's program, thinking it would make the difference in subsequent PhD applications, but circumstances intervened and it wasn't possible. Instead of starting the master's program, I waited a year and tried again. I applied to more schools than last year, as well as to a wider range of schools in terms of both rankings and areas of emphasis. I felt I had tried to tailor my applications to each program last year, but this year I really agonized over each one, despite applying to so many more this time; that's my answer to the earlier application quality/quantity debate here. At their suggestion, I talked more with letter writers about how my materials and their letters should be framed so we would all be on the same page. Theory had been a big part of my statements last year, which I thought my record would support; but this year I dialed it back and focused on interests that aren't necessarily trendy but also aren't as marginalized.

This time I've gotten into several programs, including a couple that rejected me last year. Don't give up, guys. It's an expensive, difficult, isolating process, and waiting a year can be a huge blow emotionally (it was for me), but fashions, committees, and applicants' interests change from year to year. I stayed involved with research to stay sane and to buffer the urge to throw in the towel, and I tried to present my year off as a strength because I had time to really weigh whether this is what I want to do. I don't know which of these changes helped, or if this year is just different, but things are going better the second time around.

Thank you! That will keep my hopes up.