Fall 2015 Acceptances (and Rejections) Thread

Anonymona

Um I had a so-so GPA in undergrad (3.59) and a 165/162/5.5 GRE (V/Q/AW). No pubs, one article under review (which has since been rejected), no presentations. Good research experience and LORs, and an MA in soc. I also exchanged several emails with my POI before applying. Good luck to everyone. Strange for a discipline such as ours to make such significant decisions based on such poor metrics of talent and/or merit.

Saw in the acceptance thread that all interviews have already been sent out for Rutgers.

They may have sent out all the interviews, but the interview is optional for admission to Rutgers. At least, that's what it seems like from looking at their website, though of course I may have missed something! :/

They may have sent out all the interviews, but the interview is optional for admission to Rutgers. At least, that's what it seems like from looking at their website, though of course I may have missed something! :/

I contacted the graduate director today and she told me that all of the candidates who were still in the running were contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, I was not one of those people.

Congrads UCLA admits especially, great school. I have no news, but ancitipate 1st rejections soon. My list so far of places applied, sociology: ucsb, ucb, ucsc, cuny, uw-m, suny-b, jhu, oregon, e asian studies: toronto, polisci:new school, polisci/anthro (secondary): lse, history: nyu and york in geography still to go. I didn't apply to enough big schools, but it's hella hard to find marxist departments in us and most foreign  schools don't fund. I would've applied to minnesota and washington at least among big schools if I could do it over again. Just hoping I get a funded offer somewhere, or I'm really really screwed financially. Good luck everyone.

UCLA admits - did anyone receive a funding package with their decision?

Also, was anyone else contacted by a member of the department to talk further after being admitted? 

No funding package, the email I got said funding info would come early February. I got a phone call from my POI and an email from another faculty member. 

I contacted the graduate director today and she told me that all of the candidates who were still in the running were contacted for interviews. Unfortunately, I was not one of those people.

so sad, I was not one of those too.

Do we know if all of the UCLA acceptances have gone out? Also, haven't seen too many acceptances for international students so far on the results search... Should I be worried?

i'm an international student and I haven't heard a word... I don't think any international student has got offer yet

does anyone know what the motivation/reasoning behind not sending rejections out immediately after sending acceptances out would be? i remember reading on here that UT-Austin sent all admits out, but i haven't heard any official news about rejection/waitlist/etc. my online account says "under review" still. :wacko:

I don't believe the UT-Austin app status page isn't being updated. I received an offer of admission from them 9 days ago and it still says "under review" on mine as well.

Edit: As far as the reasoning for not notifying rejections at the same time as acceptances, your guess is as good as mine.

Edited by anonymous_soc

does anyone know what the motivation/reasoning behind not sending rejections out immediately after sending acceptances out would be? i remember reading on here that UT-Austin sent all admits out, but i haven't heard any official news about rejection/waitlist/etc. my online account says "under review" still. :wacko:

I mean, if you think of schools that send out acceptances in batches, meaning that they don't know who all the accepted students are when they send out their first or second or third batch, it makes perfect sense that rejected students would find out last. I know it tends to feel like a kind of unnecessary torture, but assuming it takes extra work to notify more students, of course they are going to notify the accepted students first, and of course they are going to wait until they are absolutely sure who they are rejecting to notify students that they've been rejected. No program is intentionally trying to torture you! They take extra care to consider who they are going to admit, and send those out first for competitive purposes (and otherwise) and also take extra care to consider who they are going to reject. But in the end, it's much more important from the school's perspective to make sure the accepted students have notification first.

I mean, if you think of schools that send out acceptances in batches, meaning that they don't know who all the accepted students are when they send out their first or second or third batch, it makes perfect sense that rejected students would find out last. I know it tends to feel like a kind of unnecessary torture, but assuming it takes extra work to notify more students, of course they are going to notify the accepted students first, and of course they are going to wait until they are absolutely sure who they are rejecting to notify students that they've been rejected. No program is intentionally trying to torture you! They take extra care to consider who they are going to admit, and send those out first for competitive purposes (and otherwise) and also take extra care to consider who they are going to reject. But in the end, it's much more important from the school's perspective to make sure the accepted students have notification first.

Also, very often the department sends notification of acceptance to the student before the official graduate school is notified (e.g. the graduate school of arts and sciences). Often the department leaves it to the GSAS to notify of rejection, because it's more work for them to individually notify of every rejection (which is often hundreds of applicants and would take hours and hours). For example, I heard from the UCLA sociology department long before I'll hear from the grad school of arts and sciences about my formal acceptance.