Which bag type is the best?

MaximKat

I like messenger bags, but have yet to buy one for fall semester. I've done some searching to find out the best bag to buy though. I've heard good things about Timbuk2 bags, even though they can be pricey, especially when you customize the colors from their website. I've also heard Crumpler bags, supposedly similar to Timbuk2. I read that Timbuk2 bags are made better though.

I find a backpack to be most comfortable for everything I haul and it is irreplaceable when riding a motorcycle. I found messenger bags to be too limited in capacity after carrying one for a few weeks. Ultimately, I think only you can figure out which bag is best for you and the stuff you have to carry. I'd just go to a store and start trying a bunch on. If you have some idea of how much stuff you're gonna carry, you can try stuffing some in and seeing how it feels.

I have a mini-messenger Chrome bag, and I love it. Its waterproof (as in you can, and I have, put ice and beer cans in it as a cooler). Also completely washable and is comfortable for heavy loads. Somehow the weight is more balanced than your usual strap type messenger bag. Also you can order it to loop around your left or right side. It can fit my wide screen laptop too, with plenty of room to spare.

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/messenger-bags.html

The only drawback is that they aren't terribly professional looking. So I am looking for an additional bag that would look nice with a suit type thing, probably one of the 70's style leather messengers that professors seem to covet.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there a different name for those bags that strap on over the shoulders to hang against the back via a single diagonal strap? Not a traditional backpack with the 2 vertical straps..... I had thought it was a variation of the standard messenger bag (which hangs by the waist, yes? I've used one for the past few years, but won't be practical for grad school), but looking at the websites people have posted, I'm second-guessing that.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there a different name for those bags that strap on over the shoulders to hang against the back via a single diagonal strap? Not a traditional backpack with the 2 vertical straps..... I had thought it was a variation of the standard messenger bag (which hangs by the waist, yes? I've used one for the past few years, but won't be practical for grad school), but looking at the websites people have posted, I'm second-guessing that.

that isnt stupid at all! ive been wondering the same thing myself.. mainly because i feel you can't beat backpacks for comfort but they make me feel like i'm in 4th grade again. messenger bags look cooler yet they hurt my shoulder. those backpacks look cool and comfortable. if anyone knows, please pass info along.

Can somebody explain to me why it's worth buying one of these timbuk2 messenger bags instead of a high quality backpack (jansport or eddie bauer, for example), that can hold the same amount or more, when these messenger bags literally cost twice as much? I realize that backpacks are not as stylish. I don't know if I think the style is worth the extra money or not. I'm leaning towards not. But is there some other consideration I'm overlooking here? Not to make this question deeper than it is...

Some people simply prefer messenger bags over backpacks, and the Timbuk2 ones are quality products (they used to be even better, but they moved production to China).

I have a Jansport backpack that I use when I have to carry heavy stuff like books, an ALICE pack for when I have to carry a LOT of heavy stuff, and a couple different messenger bags, including a Timbuk2 vertical format, for when I just need a laptop and camera with a couple notebooks. I find the messenger bags offer readier access to their contents, while obviously the backpacks have better support for weight. And while style may be superficial, it is true that there are days I need to look more professional than I can while wearing a backpack.

I have 3.

1.) Backpack: when I have my normal array of stuff for class. Notebooks, laptop, textbooks, etc.

2.) Messenger bag: when I'm going to quick lecture and only need a small notebook or a few papers.

3.) Gym backpack: draw strings and easily fits a change of clothes. Light weight and no nonsense.

• 7 months later...

I was using my ultralight backpacking backpack, until I realized the backpacking bp I got for my 4 year old for xmas (Deuter Junior, gotta love REI sales!) is the PERFECT size for a laptop, textbook (or 3), notepad, my bento box for lunch, and camelback water bottle. Sure, it may look tiny, but it holds a LOT!!! Now I'm worried that when we FINALLY get a chance to go camping I'll overload her by accident!

i second that emotion on the Chrome bag. i have a mid sized one and i love it. it's the most comfortable messenger bag i've tried and i prefer it to a backpack. then again, i do commute by bike, so a messenger bag just makes more sense (backpacks make it hard to look over your shoulder while biking, at least for me).

they tend to be bit pricey, but they are definitely unique and can hold an absurd amount of stuff. not to mention you could be stuck in a downpour for over an hour and everything would still be dry inside. they offer backpack style bags as well. and the uber padded strap is well worth the investment.

on a side note: when i have a bit of extra cash i would like to invest in one of those nice leather bags that makes professors look so snazzy carrying around campus :D

http://www.bestbuy.c...036&st=backpack

At some point they had this on sale for considerably cheaper.

I was able to expense that backpack (or one very similar) when I was working as a consultant. Way more comfortable than a shoulder bag, and good weight distribution. I often had 2 or 3 laptops + books when travelling, this handled it well and even fit under the airplane seat in front of me.

I do however see the utility of a nicer looking bag for certain occasions.

Does anyone actually use a briefcase anymore other than my dad?