Which bag type is the best?

MaximKat

I had been carrying the same cloth tote bag for 7 years of college, teaching, and grad school, so I decided that if I got into a Ph.D program I'd splurge on a nice leather messenger bag/briefcase that I could take to interviews and conferences. Decided on this one:

http://www.ebags.com/le_donne_leather/expandable_messenger/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=144777

It's been perfect so far--much more attractive than the picture indicates, and large enough to carry my laptop, several notebooks, and three or four textbooks (I load up!), but zips down to briefcase-size. For me, the advantage of a leather messenger bag over a backpack is mostly image-related--what better time to start looking like a professional?--but I also find shoulder bags a lot easier to handle and access stuff from quickly than backpacks.

I have two awesome Brooklyn Industries "large H bags," one all plain black (more business-y), one white w/ purple floral. The fabric patterns they have now online are not my favorite but keep your eye out for cooler ones or check out a store if there is one near you where there's more selection.

These bags are ridiculously spacious (holds 14" redwell files comfortably) and incredibly durable. They are a bit pricey but have a lifetime guarantee. Imagine three years of commuting on the subway, over an hour each way, filled to the brim with files, books, ipod, lipgloss, etc., and the black one is still perfect; it is no surprise this company is booming among the commuter set.

I don't own any of the other styles, but if they are produced in the same factory I bet the quality is excellent.

I found a Timbuk2 black messenger bag at Goodwill for $6 a few years back! It was in brand new condition. This bag has served me very well.

I found one brand new at TJ Max for $25. I love it. I have ridden my bike for 10 minutes through a downpour without a drop getting inside. That is what I love about it. I hate backpacks, they just aren't comfy on a bike for me. I've had my timbuk2 for a year now and it still looks brand new. The only thing I don't like is how loud it is when you open it. I have learned to open it BEFORE entering class if I am late.

I use a black leather satchel for more formal occasions.

I have a backpack that's even nicer than that one. More padding along the back and I think slightly larger volume. I am, and probably always will be, a backpack kinda gal.

As far as professionalism goes: one of our better-known profs here carries his stuff in a backpack. So there. :P

Just noticed someone revived a thread from July 2009. I hope the person who made this thread found a bag by now, but I'm going to give my opinion just in case other people are interested.

I carry a laptop pretty much all the time. I'm currently using this bag from Brooklyn Industries: http://www.brooklynindustries.com/bags-backpacks/conduit6 (in navy)

For laptops, Timbuk2 is a pretty good brand. Quality is great, but they might be a little on the expensive side for some people.

Here is a great link to a list of different brands (not really just for laptops by the way). http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=50734

Edited by joro

• 1 year later...

I know Timbuk2 is known for messengers, but I have two Timbuk2 backpacks that I LOVE. One is the Hacker, which I think has been rediesigned and is now called the Swig. I've never owned a better bag. It holds a lot of gear, but still stays compact and sleek looking. I feel really comfotable bringing it into professional settings. The quality is awesome and the design is just smart -- I never find myself searching for anything in my backpack. The compartments just make sense. Also, the laptop compartment is really nice, padded and easy to access (and seemingly even more so on the new model).

I also have a Timbuk2 messenger. I wish I'd gotten the S size instead of the M -- I just never seem to need all that space -- but it's likewise a really quality bag. Timbuk2 definitely is expensive, but they're crazy durable. They've gone through several Japanese rainy seasons with me and if they're worse for wear, you wouldn't know it. Great bags!

I have an L.L. Bean Deluxe Book Pack. It holds a lot of stuff (my laptop, gigantic art history text books, and a couple binders - that's just the main pocket!), is waterproof and durable, and has fairly comfortable straps. I use it quite a bit for traveling as well. L.L. Bean makes good backpacks for pretty reasonable prices.

Hi Sam!

I have a medium Timbuk2 messenger bag and it is great. I do not mind the larger capacity because I can fill it way up and still bike comfortably. It's weatherproof and durable as others have stated, and it has reflective patches and a loop to fasten my safety light. I got mine on clearance at sierratradingpost.com for ~$40. Don't think about paying full price for one!

I've been using this for the past semester: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OIQ0B0. It's a pretty good over-the-shoulder bag; I like how it has lots of different pockets to keep things organized. It could benefit from a little more shoulder padding, though, and I definitely wouldn't ride a bike with it if I had my laptop in it.

I also have an REI daypack that I use on occasion (I also use it for traveling/hiking). It's got great shoulder padding and can hold a lot, but it doesn't look super-professional. I also don't like wearing backpacks because I don't like having to take it on and off every time I want to grab my wallet or phone. But I know it's much better for my back than the one-shoulder bag, so I try to use it at least once a week or so.

Link is broke for me, far_to_go.

I have a lot of bags. On a daily basis I carry a tote bag because I'm a little fashion-obsessed, and I don't usually carry my laptop. (It does fit my netbook). It's this one but in blue and I didn't pay that much for it.

When I have my laptop I use a bookbag and don't care if I feel and look like a high school kid. It's this one. Although I regret the color choice (it's a loud pink, neon green, white and black plaid that *really* screams high school - I got it when I was 22 straight out of undergrad, lol), it's very durable and the padding on the bag helps when I'm lugging my computer. I have chronic back pain so this is a good thing.

I use a JanSport that's still kicking around from high school most days on campus, but when I'm doing something "grown-up" like a conference, I use the beautiful leather laptop tote my parents bought me for my 21st birthday.

I would suggest, for anyone thinking about it, that you invest in one "fancier" satchel, tote, or briefcase at some point, for use on more professional occasions. Our job search support committee has made it clear that while a backpack works for day-to-day use as either a grad student or faculty member, it's not quite going to send the right impression in a job interview.

Sorry about the earlier broken link! Here's one that should hopefully work: http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Savvy-Laptop-Tote-Eggplant/dp/B001OIQ0B0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1306456613&sr=8-6. If the link doesn't work, it's the eBags Savvy Laptop Tote from Amazon.

I guess I'm the only one here who seems to like briefcases huh.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Classic-Three-Gusset-Toploader/dp/B004CEVIVU

I have a bevy of backpacks, too, for different occasions (casual, hiking, biking), but the one I reach for most often is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N4YB1U/

I'm a sucker for (good) Samsonite products