Another week of...nothing.

Journey2015

Does anyone know how likely it is for the graduate school to reject you if the department itself has already accepted you? I got a "congratulations we have recommended your application for acceptance to the graduate school" from the department head... and I am not sure how expcited I should be about that... 

Does anyone know how likely it is for the graduate school to reject you if the department itself has already accepted you? I got a "congratulations we have recommended your application for acceptance to the graduate school" from the department head... and I am not sure how expcited I should be about that...

That means you're accepted and the graduate school will send the official offer.

Things that could cause graduate school to deny when dept offers: not completing your degree, fraud on application (like saying you have a degree and sending falsified transcripts) and stuff like that.

You're in.

Congrats!

That means you're accepted and the graduate school will send the official offer.

Things that could cause graduate school to deny when dept offers: not completing your degree, fraud on application (like saying you have a degree and sending falsified transcripts) and stuff like that.

You're in.

Congrats!

Wooo Thanks biochemMom!

This is the 3rd week since I had interviews for this one program. Others (1 i know) have received acceptances as of last Friday. Am I done? (they did say they'd take up to 3 weeks)....thoughts?

During my interview (which I thought went pretty well) they told me they'd let me know in "one to two weeks". It has now been two weeks AND ONE DAY and I'm freaking out about it. TRying to figure out if this means anything at all and what it might mean. I've had friends and my girlfriend restrain me from calling the department about three times per day. 

Edited by bambi_86

I am just going to assume that the end of this week equates to no more news, which is freaking me out because the projected timeline of notification for my top choice should be around this time. They don't make decisions until a month from now, either. But both of my definitive letters have come on the weekend! Don't give up hope!

During my interview (which I thought went pretty well) they told me they'd let me know in "one to two weeks". It has now been two weeks AND ONE DAY and I'm freaking out about it. TRying to figure out if this means anything at all and what it might mean. I've had friends and my girlfriend restrain me from calling the department about three times per day. 

I am just going to assume that the end of this week equates to no more news, which is freaking me out because the projected timeline of notification for my top choice should be around this time. They don't make decisions until a month from now, either. But both of my definitive letters have come on the weekend! Don't give up hope!

You got this! It will be okay. After one of my acceptances, I met my POI in person at a conference, and he told me when they would be meeting about financial awards. The decision came way after the deadline of what he told me, but it came. 

I HATE THIS PROCESS! AND THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND ME ARE ALL OF YOU WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THIS SAME VERSION OF HELL!!

I'M SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT I'M AT WORK AND CAN'T JUST BUST OUT RUNNING AND YELLING IN FRUSTRATION AND ANGST AS I TRULY DESIRE AND THE USE CAPS GIVES ME A SLIGHT BIT OF RELIEF.

THAT IS ALL. 

Thanks, that actually helps a lot to know. My POI has been very forthcoming with information, he emailed me the day after my interview (which he was not part of) and told me the professors in the interview were "impressed" so I guess I should just stick with that and be hopeful, and ascribe any lack of news to circumstances beyond my control. 

I agree regarding the letters on odd times, I've had some of mine arrive at 3am and I'm sure some do send them on the weekends. If we can work on the weekends admissions offices can too. I'm not sure that's a good thing though, having two days over the weekend to not check constantly for emails is quite nice. 

DTY you're not alone. I'm a polyglot as well, and obstinately interstitial (as you can see from my signature).

This PhD application process has really cemented me for me the increasing professionalization/specialization of academia. I look at so many programs and think, "I could see myself fitting in there!" but convincing the adcomms of that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I'm very lucky to have found some programs that encourage that type of thinking (one acceptance so far!) but the rejections have indeed been tough. 

I have a friend who's in the same boat: he studied piano performance in undergrad, then collected graduate degrees in theology and law while publishing several pieces of art criticism. After working as a lawyer for a few years, he's decided to commit himself fully to art historical/curatorial work, and applied to several programs ... and has been met with silence. BRILLIANT guy, spectacular marks at all schools he's attended, but that's not quite enough anymore...

I just had the head of my department tell me that the closer we get to March 1, the better, so I'm banking on no news is good news right now. Also, one school I applied to that's near my top just had a lot of people post rejections in the results search, but I'm still in limbo... I wish the PhD apps were more like med school and med residency, one app and everyone knows on the same day, lol.

I HATE THIS PROCESS! AND THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND ME ARE ALL OF YOU WHO ARE GOING THROUGH THIS SAME VERSION OF HELL!!

I'M SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT I'M AT WORK AND CAN'T JUST BUST OUT RUNNING AND YELLING IN FRUSTRATION AND ANGST AS I TRULY DESIRE AND THE USE CAPS GIVES ME A SLIGHT BIT OF RELIEF.

THAT IS ALL. 

This is my life. 

I went against my better judgement today and emailed the admin assistant of one of my schools. She stated that applications are still under review and that is all that she could say. When I say I went against my better judgement, I mean that I really don't want to make a nuisance of myself, but this website is doing strange things to my impulse control!

I went against my better judgement today and emailed the admin assistant of one of my schools. She stated that applications are still under review and that is all that she could say. When I say I went against my better judgement, I mean that I really don't want to make a nuisance of myself, but this website is doing strange things to my impulse control!

I just did the EXACT same thing, following an interview I had ten days ago. no response yet...

I just did the EXACT same thing, following an interview I had ten days ago. no response yet...

I see you're from MA, too. I'm from Danvers. Got one acceptance so far (my VERY FIRST notice, thank God!) to UMASS for Ph.D. in CJ. Not a real big fan of staying in MA, though.

I literally have to leave my office because I'm checking my email so much.....  I'm struggling.  Any day now I should hear from my top choice.  Another week has gone by and still nothing....

I see you're from MA, too. I'm from Danvers. Got one acceptance so far (my VERY FIRST notice, thank God!) to UMASS for Ph.D. in CJ. Not a real big fan of staying in MA, though.

Ha we have opposite inclinations -- I love Massachusetts, and was seriously devastated when I didn't get into the one program to which I applied here. 

That being said, I am looking forward to the recruitment weekend I'm attending in LA next week. Leaving behind this windchill and 8' snowdrifts for a few days won't be the worst thing in the world.  :)

Just contacted one of the two schools I applied to.  Was told to not expect an answer either way before March 1st.  I know the other school won't respond before sometime in March.  Will this stop me checking email and the results page? Nooooo.

There will just be feelings of futility and ridiculousness as I do so.

Yesterday was my birthday, and to my over-analyzing anxiety-ridden mind that meant I was certain to get a birthday admissions notice, right? That would have been such a great gift. Alas, I did not hear anything. 

As of today it has officially been 3 weeks since my interview at what they convinced me would be the perfect school/program/PI/town for me, and I haven't heard a peep. The waiting has become the bane of my existence, and logically I know that I should just chill out because I am being ridiculous- but that's not what I have been doing.

I spent a couple minutes just randomly yelling indecipherable gibberish in my car before I went into my apartment, and I am now eating leftover birthday cake. 

I feel slightly better. 

Edited by kjc

This was my first week knowing about this website and spending every seeking moment on it. I truly regret the fact that I know about this place, as my stress level has skyrocketed.

Couldn't agree with you more! Although there are a few aspects of this site that actually help me relieve my stress.