Another week of...nothing.

Journey2015

Once again, its Friday evening.

At this point, I've presumed rejections for two programs (NCSU & UNCC), but there are still three other schools I haven't heard from. I was extremely fortunate to have received an invite to interview for an outstanding program, but they won't be making decisions until the first week of March. Patience has NEVER been a virtue of mine, and I become more and more anxious, crazy, irrational, and annoying every day. Aren't there laws against hazing???

Yes, but it's hard to prosecute self-hazing.  

Speaking of....I was checking a school website today.  I was VERY excited at first glance after typing in my user name and password as I realized that things looked different, so thought something must have been decided.  It took me a full 5 seconds to realize I had put in my password wrong and the site just wanted me to re-enter it.  *Sigh* 

Yes, but it's hard to prosecute self-hazing.  

Speaking of....I was checking a school website today.  I was VERY excited at first glance after typing in my user name and password as I realized that things looked different, so thought something must have been decided.  It took me a full 5 seconds to realize I had put in my password wrong and the site just wanted me to re-enter it.  *Sigh* 

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh. Out loud. 

I, too, am falling into despair awaiting any kind of response. I've only heard back from one school, and unfortunately, it was a rejection. I am currently awaiting on five other schools. No interviews were had. 

Curious, but mostly because I am in a permanent state of anxiety and have become mentally paralyzed to pursue other work, I did some research online to better understand why the five other schools have yet to send out their decision. I mean, it's two weeks from March... :blink: One of the very plausible explanations that I came across was that I am most likely wait-listed. So, essentially, my future dreams are contingent to accepted students declining, and of course, my ranking being high enough on the list for such declination to matter. 

Is this what others have come across? Good luck to all!

You know the wait has gotten bad when you start looking forward to the end of the weekend. Every Monday brings new hope!

I think is this first time in my life I have actually looked forward to Mondays.

I jump to my phone every time I get an email, and I'm really starting to resent the Princeton Review and random admissions department emails from the schools that bought my name from the GRE. You guys don't get to put the words 'admissions' 'department' 'decision' in a subject line, OK?

It's so tough- the only two schools I have heard back from were my big reaches (swing and a miss, there). My husband is very supportive, but he was one of those first round draft students that heard back Mid to Late January when he applied so he doesn't quite understand my anxiety. Our lease runs out at the end of May and I just see this totally blank calendar and it freaks me out. Most of all, it makes it so difficult to concentrate on the work I actually need to get done this semester. I just feel very burnt out.

I jump to my phone every time I get an email, and I'm really starting to resent the Princeton Review and random admissions department emails from the schools that bought my name from the GRE. You guys don't get to put the words 'admissions' 'department' 'decision' in a subject line, OK?

It's so tough- the only two schools I have heard back from were my big reaches (swing and a miss, there). My husband is very supportive, but he was one of those first round draft students that heard back Mid to Late January when he applied so he doesn't quite understand my anxiety. Our lease runs out at the end of May and I just see this totally blank calendar and it freaks me out. Most of all, it makes it so difficult to concentrate on the work I actually need to get done this semester. I just feel very burnt out.

same with me, I could hardly focus on the work I need to finish before this semester. 

It should be illegal for schools that you have applied to to email you crap that don't have ANYTHING to do with admissions. EVERYTIME I see the schools in my inbox I get happy and than realize it's a pointless email.

I got 4 rejections last week alone, I was expecting a high number (I applied to a lot of schools because I don't exactly "fit" in any one discipline), but still, it stung a little. Hoping for some good news this week!

I got 4 rejections last week alone, I was expecting a high number (I applied to a lot of schools because I don't exactly "fit" in any one discipline), but still, it stung a little. Hoping for some good news this week!

DTY you're not alone. I'm a polyglot as well, and obstinately interstitial (as you can see from my signature).

This PhD application process has really cemented me for me the increasing professionalization/specialization of academia. I look at so many programs and think, "I could see myself fitting in there!" but convincing the adcomms of that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I'm very lucky to have found some programs that encourage that type of thinking (one acceptance so far!) but the rejections have indeed been tough. 

I have a friend who's in the same boat: he studied piano performance in undergrad, then collected graduate degrees in theology and law while publishing several pieces of art criticism. After working as a lawyer for a few years, he's decided to commit himself fully to art historical/curatorial work, and applied to several programs ... and has been met with silence. BRILLIANT guy, spectacular marks at all schools he's attended, but that's not quite enough anymore...

You know the wait has gotten bad when you start looking forward to the end of the weekend. Every Monday brings new hope!

So true

Applies to me too

Yeah, for me this waiting game is by far the hardest part of the admissions process. I got 4 quick rejections in January, one interview with an amazing program about a week and a half ago. But then I got no news post-interview, and I'm still waiting on four more programs...

Ugh, also, I'm sort of trying to change fields and have had no idea what to expect throughout this whole process.

Ooh, but this morning I did wake up to any email from University of Maryland, where I was rejected during the first week of January, giving me some application/ID numbers and telling me they might become important later in the admissions process! Haha in case I want to verify my rejection again? Oh well.

I've only received one rejection so far, and I've not heard a single word from other schools aside from the usual graduate school open house advertisement junk e-mails.

Someone from one of the programs was in regular contact with me last month because they were waiting on my final transcript to arrive, but it was taking a while because my fall grades weren't posted until January 5th. This lady told me, and I quote, that all that mattered was that they get that transcript. She also stated that I am a good candidate for their MSFS program. Their application deadline was 12/31 but my last transcript didn't reach them until January 20th. I've heard nothing from this school since. The wait is stressful!