MPH CANADA FALL 2015 APPLICANTS

mphcan2015

Hey guys!

Has anyone heard from UofA in the Environmental and Occupational stream? I have been accepted to SFU but I have to reply pretty soon.

Also if anyone knows how SFU and UofA programs compare that would be great.

@kyuuri I'm in the exact same boat! 

I don't really know of any big differences between the two - except UofA's is shorter. I haven't heard a lot of feedback on that stream at UofA but the rest of their public health programs seem super popular. I'm also gonna assume UofA also has smaller class sizes - I was checking old graduate lists and only 4/5 people graduated in that stream. 

Hopefully we hear back soon!!

Just got waitlisted for SFU - does anyone know how big their class size is on average?

Hey! I spoke with SFU alumni and the classes for global health range from 6 people (specific courses for global health) to 40 (when all streams take epidemiology, research methods and stats)!

Hey! Anyone on this thread applied to McMaster MPH program? it's their first intake. I already got accepted at Guelph for MPH and now awaiting McMaster's decision. anyone in the same boat trying to rule out McU against other institution?

Hey everyone, I'm a first timer on this forum!

I haven't seen too many people talk about the MPH program at McMaster (its new as of 2015-2016). But for those who have applied, I did get an email saying that I've been recommended by the department, so emails are definitely going out! I've also applied to the MPH program at Western, as well as to U of T for their Health Promotion stream, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. :wacko:

Good luck and congrats to those who have received acceptances already :)

So if i really have to make a choice between MacU and Guelph MPH program, which one you guys will vote for?

Edited by charliemarlie

Hey! Anyone on this thread applied to McMaster MPH program? it's their first intake. I already got accepted at Guelph for MPH and now awaiting McMaster's decision. anyone in the same boat trying to rule out McU against other institution?

Hi ! I am in the same boat of deciding as I got into Waterloo and got recommended by McMaster MPH. The reasons why I like McMaster is because the institution itself (I am a current student there), the program is 16 months rather than a full 2 year program. I felt it was more organized than Waterloo (so far). 

The downfall of Mac is that this is the first class, so things can go wrong, they can be unorganized whereas other programs are more "established"

Also, Guelph is more epidemiology/environment/geo based if you take a look at their classes... a lot is focusing on "infectious diseases" etc... This is not my interest I am more into the social behavioral, chronic conditions sort of side which is why McMaster is more pleasing in that sense because I feel they offer more variety.

I would compare their courses for sure to see what degree suits your interests more :) 

Let us know what you decide. Congrats and good luck!  :)

Hi ! I am in the same boat of deciding as I got into Waterloo and got recommended by McMaster MPH. The reasons why I like McMaster is because the institution itself (I am a current student there), the program is 16 months rather than a full 2 year program. I felt it was more organized than Waterloo (so far). 

The downfall of Mac is that this is the first class, so things can go wrong, they can be unorganized whereas other programs are more "established"

Also, Guelph is more epidemiology/environment/geo based if you take a look at their classes... a lot is focusing on "infectious diseases" etc... This is not my interest I am more into the social behavioral, chronic conditions sort of side which is why McMaster is more pleasing in that sense because I feel they offer more variety.

I would compare their courses for sure to see what degree suits your interests more :)

Let us know what you decide. Congrats and good luck!  :)

Congratulations!

Can I ask: which stream did you apply for? Thesis or course-based?

@eeee927 Congrats to you too! I actually have the same questions as you, and I've already emailed the Program Coordinator asking for a little more clarification. I'm currently at McMaster, so I'll probably try and speak with her in person sometime this week, and I can definitely let you know once I've spoken with her :)

@S.M.014 Hi! I'm currently at McMaster too ! And got the same email! I also emailed the coordinator regarding similar questions, let us know what you find out and then I will bug the coordinator in person if needed! 

Congrats guys! Which stream did you apply for, thesis or course-based. 

I haven't heard anything from Mac yet and I'm getting so anxious. It's my alma matter

Let us know what you decide. Congrats and good luck! :)

Thanks for your input grad1515!

Being the first graduating class can be risky in many sense like not being able to secure good placements, unorganized courses etc. But again MacU is a prestigious institution and the name goes a long way.

I do really like the streams of infectious diseases and zoonosis which UGuelph specialize into. But im not sure if its worth choosing it over MacU just because it has a more established program.

fingers crossed for McMasterr's decision. Till then I'll appreciate more inputs for MacU vs other MPH programs!

Congratulations!

Can I ask: which stream did you apply for? Thesis or course-based?

HI there! 

First, I would not stress too much, it is still early for acceptances, sometimes they go as late as June! So crazy.

Anyway I applied for course-based as I completed an undergrad thesis I felt I liked research but not as much to pursue it... Thesis base should be done for sure if you plan to do a Ph.D in the future,  then I feel it is essential, of course keep asking other opinions too. 

Which stream are you interested in? :)

Edited by Grad1515

Thanks for your input grad1515!

Being the first graduating class can be risky in many sense like not being able to secure good placements, unorganized courses etc. But again MacU is a prestigious institution and the name goes a long way.

I do really like the streams of infectious diseases and zoonosis which UGuelph specialize into. But im not sure if its worth choosing it over MacU just because it has a more established program.

fingers crossed for McMasterr's decision. Till then I'll appreciate more inputs for MacU vs other MPH programs!

May be we will be future classmates :o 

I think it also comes down to where you want to work in the future and what department. Public health can be so broad it can be sort of molded into many different careers which I think is also the beauty of it. I have been looking into course descriptions for McMaster and so on, that is one way of figure out what suits your needs and you can always call the program, they are very friendly and helpful! 

HI there! 

First, I would not stress too much, it is still early for acceptances, sometimes they go as late as June! So crazy.

Anyway I applied for course-based as I completed an undergrad thesis I felt I liked research but not as much to pursue it... Thesis base should be done for sure if you plan to do a Ph.D in the future,  then I feel it is essential, of course keep asking other opinions too. 

Which stream are you interested in? :)

Thanks for the reassurance!

I applied for the thesis stream! I actually did my undergrad thesis on priority setting in global health (i was in the health studies program!)  and I loved doing the research. So I applied for the thesis-option; hopefully they can place me, but yes, I would love to do a PhD in the future, very interested in health policy. 

Just out of curiosity, has anyone applied to the Health Evaluation program at Waterloo? I couldn't find a thread for it but it is really similar to the MPH Waterloo offers. 

If so or if anyone knows someone who did their MPH or Health Eval at Waterloo. Could someone explain how they do their online teaching? I am getting mixed results when researching and perhaps someone here has some insight? 

Thank you :D 

Just out of curiosity, has anyone applied to the Health Evaluation program at Waterloo? I couldn't find a thread for it but it is really similar to the MPH Waterloo offers. 

If so or if anyone knows someone who did their MPH or Health Eval at Waterloo. Could someone explain how they do their online teaching? I am getting mixed results when researching and perhaps someone here has some insight? 

Thank you :D

Hi Grad1515,

I applied for the MPH and I know that you are required to be on campus only two weeks at the beginning and two weeks at the end of the program, the rest being taught online using recorded lectures, class discussions, and online readings. I'm not sure if the Health Evaluation program is the same, but I am guessing it is similar! If you go to http://cel.uwaterloo.ca/courses/you can look at the course syllabi for the program courses to get a better idea of how each course it taught.  :)

Hi Grad1515,

I applied for the MPH and I know that you are required to be on campus only two weeks at the beginning and two weeks at the end of the program, the rest being taught online using recorded lectures, class discussions, and online readings. I'm not sure if the Health Evaluation program is the same, but I am guessing it is similar! If you go to http://cel.uwaterloo.ca/courses/you can look at the course syllabi for the program courses to get a better idea of how each course it taught.  :)

Oh this is so helpful, I haven't come across this yet. Thank you very much MPHdream ! 

So I've seen a few people on here who were accepted to UofA's Global Health. did y'all apply to any other UofA program and get in?

Anyone get into UofA's epidemiology program?

I really wasn't expecting to be accepted to both and am having a really hard time deciding

@eeee927 and @grad1515, So I emailed the the McMaster MPH Program Coordinator, who forwarded my email to the Program Director. To quote the Program Director, she said that based on the recommendation, "It is my expectation that you will be offered a position in the MPH program." I guess I'm still going to wait on the official offer before letting it officially sink in.

@grad1515, @hellohopeful and @charliemarlie, I applied for the Practicum stream! Actually @grad1515, my interests in the field coincide with yours! Like you guys, I'm still pretty nervous about the program, since its in its inaugural year. I haven't heard back from the other two programs I've applied to, so I'm not sure what to think yet. But yes, with what the institution is already known for, I'm hoping it will be a strong program. 

Thank you!!! @hn90 and @out.to.sea

I decided to accept my Health Promotion offer at U of A!! The program sounds like a better fit for me than UBC and I've heard so many great things about it! I decided it was too good an offer to pass up. :) I am really looking forward to meeting all the other U of A students in the fall! 

@hn90 I'm wondering if you know much about finding off-campus housing close to campus since you mentioned that you did your undergrad at U of A. One of my major concerns is commuting in the cold so I'm hoping to find something really close by! 

Congrats to everyone who received offers and good luck to those deciding between schools and those still waiting for letters!

Congratulations everyone! I've decided to definitely go to U of A, so I look forward to meeting everyone!  :) My name is Hannah by the way and I'm doing the MPH in Global Health. I'd love to talk to others going to U of A. 

Thanks for everyone's help earlier. I really appreciated everyone's support. 

Hey Hanna! I accepted to U of A for global health as well! My name is Diana and I'll be seeing you in September :) I'm so excited :)

@grad1515, @hellohopeful and @charliemarlie, I applied for the Practicum stream! Actually @grad1515, my interests in the field coincide with yours! Like you guys, I'm still pretty nervous about the program, since its in its inaugural year. I haven't heard back from the other two programs I've applied to, so I'm not sure what to think yet. But yes, with what the institution is already known for, I'm hoping it will be a strong program. 

I know the feeling, I am so confused right now though I feel like calling the Mac committee and asking for a acceptance or rejection as I have to decide for Waterloo by Friday lol.. Oh the misery.. first it was nail biting on writing applications, then acceptances and now this ! LOL. It does not end. I am excited that you are interested in the same ideas as me, such a great feeling when you have others in the same boat :) I really hope we hear something by the end of the week. Btw, I got the same email from the director when I had emailed her. 

Another FYI, I had asked about their classes and one of them which is research methods, is still under development (its in second semester) but still lol. I am beyond hesitant. So another idea would be to email them about any questions with classes etc... that can help you decide as well

Thank you!!! @hn90 and @out.to.sea

I decided to accept my Health Promotion offer at U of A!! The program sounds like a better fit for me than UBC and I've heard so many great things about it! I decided it was too good an offer to pass up. :) I am really looking forward to meeting all the other U of A students in the fall! 

@hn90 I'm wondering if you know much about finding off-campus housing close to campus since you mentioned that you did your undergrad at U of A. One of my major concerns is commuting in the cold so I'm hoping to find something really close by! 

Congrats to everyone who received offers and good luck to those deciding between schools and those still waiting for letters!

@hn90 and @pineapple15

I am also very interested in finding out more information about housing. It will be one of my biggest expenses and I also don't want a very long commute, so if you know or find out any information, would you mind sending me a PM and letter me know? I am an international student, so I really would appreciate any information. 

Sorry if this sounds silly, but should I even consider living in on-campus housing? Would it be that much cheaper or will it not be a good experience? I see online that the graduate on-campus dorms are $833 per person for a two-bedroom apartment. Is that a pretty reasonable rate? 

I'm very flexible with the quality and amenities of where I live, so if you think that I could find cheaper, definitely let me know. 

Thanks so much!

Hey Hanna! I accepted to U of A for global health as well! My name is Diana and I'll be seeing you in September :) I'm so excited :)

It's nice to meet you Diana! I'll PM you with my email address so we can talk more easily.