And I thought interviewing would be hard...

agrizz

I'm just curious if anyone else is having a really hard time deciding between programs.  I've officially gotten two offers but have had a wink and a nudge with another and interviewed really well elsewhere that has not begun extending offers...

My problem, I was just hoping to get one admit - now I can't seem to decide which one is the best choice. 

I'm not asking for advice, as I think only I can make that determination... I just want to know if anyone else out there is as stressed about deciding as I am.  Misery loves company.  

There are so many factors to consider!

I've tried to make both quantitative and qualitative comparisons of all factors for all programs thinking that this would simplify things... the opposite occurred.   FAIL!  

Yep. Having a VERY tough time deciding. 

Especially since the school that I'm leaning away from can, I think, tell from my coolness that they're not my top choice. They're now showering me with emails, introductions, offers of extra mentors and resources, promises of the utmost attention with research projects ... it's getting even tougher. 

Yep. Having a VERY tough time deciding. 

Especially since the school that I'm leaning away from can, I think, tell from my coolness that they're not my top choice. They're now showering me with emails, introductions, offers of extra mentors and resources, promises of the utmost attention with research projects ... it's getting even tougher. 

I've begun to notice the showering of recruitment attention too and have actually leaned on this as something that might help me make my decision more easily.  

Alas, like you, it's just getting tougher.

Absolutely. I'm very pleased with how this application season went, but now I got to really do some soul-searching and calculating to make the right decision. If only hindsight wasn't 20/20. 

I am split between two universities  which are very similar and yet so different... I've resigned to wait and see if the Gods of Funding and Miscellaneous Perks will make the call for me :P

Lol! Which city do you like better?

I was absolutely sure that I wouldn't get in anywhere, now I have 3 offers and 2 other possible offers.

Although I am extremely grateful to being sucessful this application cycle, I'm also freaking out about making the wrong decision  :(

I fell in love with one of the schools I've been accepted to at the open house. Next week I'm going to visit the other one...and I almost hope I hate it, just because it would be easier. If I love this place as much as I loved the first one, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Probably something involving spreadsheets and Ben & Jerry's.

(Note: I will of course go to the second open house with an open mind, not determined to have a bad time. I just worry about the looming decision sometimes.)

The funding Gods smiled on me, at least potentially... My aforementioned "wink and nudge" was made official tonight alongside notification that I was nominated for an added financial award on top of the full funding. Another bonus to this fellowship is a removed teaching requirement for the first year.

And so I ask, WHY IS THIS STILL DIFFICULT?!

I've begun to notice the showering of recruitment attention too and have actually leaned on this as something that might help me make my decision more easily.

Alas, like you, it's just getting tougher.

Seriously! One place is giving me a crazy fellowship and faculty keep emailing me being really supportive. It's weird to be "courted" so much!

I was having this issue, so I emailed a director at a different school asking which one I should pick. Her answer was a very clear, very precise "It is a no brainer that you should choose X school if you want to become a professor."

So, you know, that helped me a lot. :)

The thing is that when you apply, you already have this vague ranking of different universities in your mind... so just choose the university which is top of your ranking

Except that when you apply, you have not yet visited, met the PI, other grad students, other faculty, seen the facilities, and generally learned more about the university you're interested in.  

My "safety" school is now resting as my top choice... hence the difficulty.  My "vague" ranking that was formed during the application process has been shot to hell.

And not to mention - If I even had a firm "top ranking", this wouldn't even be an issue...

Except that when you apply, you have not yet visited, met the PI, other grad students, other faculty, seen the facilities, and generally learned more about the university you're interested in.  

My "safety" school is now resting as my top choice... hence the difficulty.  My "vague" ranking that was formed during the application process has been shot to hell.

And not to mention - If I even had a firm "top ranking", this wouldn't even be an issue...

Word on that. 

My "list" has been turned around, twisted upside down, crushed, inflated... All three are the best, the worst, and every order and tie combination in between. 

Whew! I'm not the only with an impossible decision after an unexpectedly successful application season. How do I decide?! I've narrowed it down to two schools and I'm so tempted to just flip a coin and leave it up to the graduate school gods. 

tempted to just flip a coin and leave it up to the graduate school gods. 

I've heard an interesting proposal about this method. 

When you have a tough choice to make, flip a coin -- how you FEEL about the results of the flip will tell you where you truly want to go. 

I've heard an interesting proposal about this method. 

When you have a tough choice to make, flip a coin -- how you FEEL about the results of the flip will tell you where you truly want to go. 

This is actually very useful.  I may have to try this.  Of course, I know I'll then rebuke myself for leaving it up to chance...

Edited by agrizz