Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

I think one reason the waiting is so wearing is that one puts in long stretches of enormous work, hope, and fear when doing applications, and then suddenly there is a void: we're still spinning on the app work, but it is done. Even though we all likely have plenty of other things to do, there seems (for me at any rate) to be something missing.  I'd just gotten used to working on my apps project for quite a few months, plus years of anticipation.  And now there is nothing to be done and nothing one can control.

Congrats to all admits and best of luck to those still waiting...

To the folks who were accepted at Northwestern, kudos! Did you receive any indication as to when/if there might be a weekend to visit the department? This is my top choice program, and I have not heard yet...oh well...is it safe to say that rejections are coming at this point? Historically this is when everything happens there this week. 

Best of luck to all!

2 minutes ago, datini said:

I think one reason the waiting is so wearing is that one puts in long stretches of enormous work, hope, and fear when doing applications, and then suddenly there is a void: we're still spinning on the app work, but it is done. Even though we all likely have plenty of other things to do, there seems (for me at any rate) to be something missing.  I'd just gotten used to working on my apps project for quite a few months, plus years of anticipation.  And now there is nothing to be done and nothing one can control.

At least this cycle is a bit quicker than undergrad applications. My UC Berkeley application a few years ago was due in November and I had to wait until the end of the following April to see if I got in. Still all the more nerve-wracking since there is so much else at play with graduate studies.

41 minutes ago, LeParisien said:

Congrats to all admits and best of luck to those still waiting...

To the folks who were accepted at Northwestern, kudos! Did you receive any indication as to when/if there might be a weekend to visit the department? This is my top choice program, and I have not heard yet...oh well...is it safe to say that rejections are coming at this point? Historically this is when everything happens there this week. 

Best of luck to all!

LeParisien, I got an email from Northwestern today with my official offer/funding information and the dates of the visit weekend in early March. I don't think I'll be able to go since its only a month away and I'm working abroad. Would love to visit otherwise!

6 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

LeParisien, I got an email from Northwestern today with my official offer/funding information and the dates of the visit weekend in early March. I don't think I'll be able to go since its only a month away and I'm working abroad. Would love to visit otherwise!

Fencergirl - Congrats on your offer! It seems like a great program. I am sort of in a bind because I am currently employed and basically need to sign my contract for next year, or accept another university's offer, if Northwestern doesn't come through. Here's to holding out hope, but I fear that the train might be pulling out at this point. Just want to know one way or another like everyone else so I can begin to organize my life hah. Hope you're doing well abroad. 

1 hour ago, stillalivetui said:

Drinking beer to pass the time has lost its luster. I'm ready to hear back regardless of the news.

Respectfully disagree... Drinking beer never gets dull. Wish I were drinking a Dogfish Head 61 Minute right now. I'll settle for my Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, though. :D

6 minutes ago, KLZ said:

Respectfully disagree... Drinking beer never gets dull. Wish I were drinking a Dogfish Head 61 Minute right now. I'll settle for my Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, though. :D

I have a couple Dogfish Head 120 Minute in my closet. Waiting to pop them open to celebrate (hopefully). 

Dogfish Head can't distribute 120 minute in NC, but I brought a few back from the brewery a year ago. Sadly, they did not make it through the application season. 

1 hour ago, LeParisien said:

Fencergirl - Congrats on your offer! It seems like a great program. I am sort of in a bind because I am currently employed and basically need to sign my contract for next year, or accept another university's offer, if Northwestern doesn't come through. Here's to holding out hope, but I fear that the train might be pulling out at this point. Just want to know one way or another like everyone else so I can begin to organize my life hah. Hope you're doing well abroad. 

I understand, I had to make my decision to re-contract or not for my job here back in December! I chose not to so I had to hope that I would get into a program or risk not having a job or a grad school to go home to. I completely understand the desire to know one way or the other! Are you waiting to hear from other programs, or just Northwestern?

Alright y'all I'm super late on here.  Just binge-read all 28 pages in the last hour or so and my nerves are officially through the roof.

I'm coming right out of undergrad hoping to be accepted to a PhD program for early modern Europe (primarily Germany) with some sort of concentration in the history of gender and sexuality.  Hopefully being a German Lit and History double major will help me out.

Has anyone heard back from any of these schools? Slash knows about what time they normally send out decisions? My major adviser told me I am not allowed to come to him freaking out until Feb 5 and that date is fast approaching.

• Vanderbilt
  • UVA
  • Duke
  • Penn State
  • University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (MA)
  • University of Arizona
  • University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

8 minutes ago, wluhopeful said:

Alright y'all I'm super late on here.  Just binge-read all 28 pages in the last hour or so and my nerves are officially through the roof.

I'm coming right out of undergrad hoping to be accepted to a PhD program for early modern Europe (primarily Germany) with some sort of concentration in the history of gender and sexuality.  Hopefully being a German Lit and History double major will help me out.

Has anyone heard back from any of these schools? Slash knows about what time they normally send out decisions? My major adviser told me I am not allowed to come to him freaking out until Feb 5 and that date is fast approaching.

• Vanderbilt
  • UVA
  • Duke
  • Penn State
  • University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (MA)
  • University of Arizona
  • University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Have you looked up these programs on the results page? http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/

That might give you a little bit more context about when you should/shouldn't freak out. 

2 hours ago, KLZ said:

I'm drinking scotch for the rest of the night. Between waiting and the amount of stupid I've encountered today, it is one of those kinds of nights. 

@wluhopeful  I got the official acceptance letter from UVA Jan 28th.  Based on what I heard from my POI about visiting days it doesn't seem like all the acceptances are out yet.  Good luck, dude.  I'm very happy to have an acceptance at one of my top choices and I hope we all make it bros.

5 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

January 30th--which goes to show the expected notification dates don't always correlate from year to year.

Did either UCD or UCSB ask for interviews or just send acceptances based on the applications alone?

2 hours ago, bettafish said:

@wluhopeful  I got the official acceptance letter from UVA Jan 28th.  Based on what I heard from my POI about visiting days it doesn't seem like all the acceptances are out yet.  Good luck, dude.  I'm very happy to have an acceptance at one of my top choices and I hope we all make it bros.

Generally speaking, I have noticed that state schools will send out acceptances first to the pool of candidates they intend to recommend for university-wide fellowship, and once those come back from the uni they send out acceptances for departmental funding. 

Edited by telkanuru

13 hours ago, KLZ said:

Dogfish Head can't distribute 120 minute in NC, but I brought a few back from the brewery a year ago. Sadly, they did not make it through the application season. 

Same. No Dogfish Head in Oklahoma. I've had some visiting inlaws a few years ago. Ta Henket. It was good, if not a little weird.

11 hours ago, Josh J. said:

I'm drinking scotch for the rest of the night. Between waiting and the amount of stupid I've encountered today, it is one of those kinds of nights. 

The day I get either an acceptance into Cornell STS or NSFGRFP is the day I go buy a bottle of Lagavulin 12 year cask strength. Mmm. Lagavulin.

I expected UT-Austin and UC-Davis to have their decisions out already. Last year they announced acceptances and rejections by the end of January. Has anybody heard anything from either of these programs?

28 minutes ago, JTE said:

I expected UT-Austin and UC-Davis to have their decisions out already. Last year they announced acceptances and rejections by the end of January. Has anybody heard anything from either of these programs?

UT-Austin invited me to a recruitment event via email over the weekend.  It sounded like they had not made admissions decisions yet, and might wait to do so until after the event (3rd week of February).  Good luck!