Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

38 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

Quick question: I was accepted to a program a few weeks ago and I never heard from my POI. Is that weird? Should I email him? I'm leaning towards accepting this offer, but I'm not really sure what to do. 

Email him, I did it for one of mines, he responded very quickly 

On 2/11/2016 at 6:11 PM, johnnycomelately said:

Email from DGS with funding and info for History Day, followed by email from POI. 

When is History Day? I think it may be time for me to face reality: rejection.

2 hours ago, victoriana said:

I am currently working up the courage to email my POI there.  At this point, I just want to know one way or another.

Yeah, and another day goes by without any more updates from Indiana... It's starting to feel a lot like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwd9mNXu3Uc

1 minute ago, johnnycomelately said:

March 2-3. I am not sure whether they have a waitlist from which they pick students should an admitted student not accept their offer. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

For anyone who is wonder: NYU told me they are "still making admissions decisions". I kind of doubt that, as accepted students day is this weekend....

It's possible that the "accepted students day" is designed to woo competitive applicants that were applying to top-10 programs and that there are still decisions pending lots of different variables such as yield, funding, etc. 

If you are interested in that period, you may be in luck with them soon! :) I am also that period. I did not go through an interview but received an informal offer, so no need to worry about the not-being-called-for-an-interview part. The other poster is correct, they seem to check in periodically with a candidate to see whether they think they will accept (presumably) to make sure they are maximizing the number of offers that they can make. Since they do this, they end up basically contacting students on a rolling basis through February, it seems. Good luck!!

11 hours ago, nevermind said:

Just because it's not a surprise doesn't mean it's not a bummer. Sorry @RamyaS! :-(

Thank you @nevermind! 

I am sure a lot of us feel this way, but I really just want to know all my results. Still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools. I will never get why schools take so long to inform the rejects, in today's email age. Just send out an email blast already :) 

1 hour ago, RamyaS said:

Thank you @nevermind! 

I am sure a lot of us feel this way, but I really just want to know all my results. Still waiting to hear from a bunch of schools. I will never get why schools take so long to inform the rejects, in today's email age. Just send out an email blast already :) 

Haha right?!?! Although there are some schools that I'm willing to bet that there are graduate committees haven't even met yet. I can't even imagine the nightmare of scheduling everyone, getting feedback from POI on applicants, etc. 

Edited by HinH
clarification

Hi nightfarmer and anyone else who is still anxiously waiting to hear back from Indiana University,

I just received an email from the DGS in response to the inquiry I sent earlier.  Apparently the department is very much still working on admissions and funding, and probably will be for "several weeks."  Happily for me, the DGS wrote that he expects IU will be able to offer me admission and multi-year financial aid(!), but to judge from his email, most of their decisions and especially funding details are not yet finalized.  In short, in this case no news may in fact be very good news and, on the other hand, we can anticipate up to a few more weeks of waiting.

16 minutes ago, victoriana said:

Hi nightfarmer and anyone else who is still anxiously waiting to hear back from Indiana University,

I just received an email from the DGS in response to the inquiry I sent earlier.  Apparently the department is very much still working on admissions and funding, and probably will be for "several weeks."  Happily for me, the DGS wrote that he expects IU will be able to offer me admission and multi-year financial aid(!), but to judge from his email, most of their decisions and especially funding details are not yet finalized.  In short, in this case no news may in fact be very good news and, on the other hand, we can anticipate up to a few more weeks of waiting.

I got the same email! High-5 for North Carolinians in Indiana. I'm hoping and assuming they wouldn't tell us this unless they were all but certain about their ability to offer admission.