Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

1 hour ago, nightfarmer said:

I got the same email! High-5 for North Carolinians in Indiana. I'm hoping and assuming they wouldn't tell us this unless they were all but certain about their ability to offer admission.

I know this may sound silly but how did you approach sending an email inquiring about the status of your application? 

On 2/9/2016 at 6:34 AM, nom said:

@Sallyplant @Ahtlatl thanks for your responses! The wait game is real.

Do you guys think UCLA sent out all of its acceptances? I do East Asian History...I hope not.....

I was informed last week by my POI that I was admitted into the program. According to the information I have from the two Japanese history professors that I was the only one admitted this year for Japanese history. Do not know which country you are working on though. Good luck!

Just now, hqqrory said:

I was informed last week by my POI that I was admitted into the program. According to the information I have from the two Japanese history professors that I was the only one admitted this year for Japanese history. Do not know which country you are working on though. Good luck!

Congrats!

I'm hoping to work on Chinese history. Did they mention anything about when everyone else would find out?

Just now, nom said:

Congrats!

I'm hoping to work on Chinese history. Did they mention anything about when everyone else would find out?

I have also asked for the time of when official acceptance letter comes since I am currently out of the states. In their email they both said "fairly soon". Since it happened a week ago, I guess the wait should not be too long. 

1 minute ago, hqqrory said:

I have also asked for the time of when official acceptance letter comes since I am currently out of the states. In their email they both said "fairly soon". Since it happened a week ago, I guess the wait should not be too long. 

Thanks!

Last year I emailed Indiana and OSU because I didn't get a rejection during the rejection waves. I basically emailed the DGS at each program saying the programs were some of my top choices and that I'd like to know my status so I could make an informed decision when it came to other programs that admitted me.

The result: My Indiana rejection had slipped through the cracks and i was wait listed for funding at OSU.

I waited til the first or second week of March to contact the programs. Personally I think it's still a bit early to solicit results, many programs have multiple waves throughout February.

1 minute ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Last year I emailed Indiana and OSU because I didn't get a rejection during the rejection waves. I basically emailed the DGS at each program saying the programs were some of my top choices and that I'd like to know my status so I could make an informed decision when it came to other programs that admitted me.

The result: My Indiana rejection had slipped through the cracks and i was wait listed for funding at OSU.

I waited til the first or second week of March to contact the programs. Personally I think it's still a bit early to solicit results, many programs have multiple waves throughout February.

Thanks for the advice!

along the same lines, how long to most people take to hear back post-interview? I had an interview with Penn State Thursday of last week and have been anxiously awaiting the results, since it's one of my last options. I don't want to email and be annoying though. 

32 minutes ago, bibliomancer said:

Has anybody else heard from the University of Washington?

I have been wondering the same thing. Someone on the results page posted that POI contacted and said official decisions will be sent out by the end of this week. If we don't hear in the next few hours, it's safe to assume we will hear tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, hqqrory said:

Is it normal to not get contacted by POI but get accepted? I'm just curious whether hearing from a POI is the customary case or if it varies by professor. Some people, including myself, have a fear that not hearing from a POI signals a rejection .

Just now, HAPPYDuck said:

Is it normal to not get contacted by POI but get accepted? I'm just curious whether hearing from a POI is the customary case or if it varies by professor. Some people, including myself, have a fear that not hearing from a POI signals a rejection .

I got accepted into a program the other day and got contacted by the Graduate Coordinator..not even by the DGS, let alone the POI. So, I think it just depends upon the program...

1 hour ago, nom said:

I know this may sound silly but how did you approach sending an email inquiring about the status of your application? 

I didn't email them, I guess yours prompted them to update people. Or it was very well timed and they were going to send out the updates anyway.

8 minutes ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

Two things: 

1. Is it normal to get just an official email of acceptance but no call? I know someone else posted a call for one of my programs but I just got an acceptance. 

2. Whoever got into Sociomedical Sciences, History....hit me up!

I've yet to get a call, but I'm not exactly an expert. But I've yet to get a call. :) 

@anthrostudentcyn I haven't gotten a call for either of my acceptances, I just got two mass emails from the graduate coordinators for each school. Both of my POIs emailed me within 1-2 days after that. (One of them was like oh hello I see you were accepted, I wanted to write but I hope it's not inconvenient, I'm always nervous about "bothering people." I was like, buddy, no, I'm thrilled, talk to me!)

@anthrostudentcyn - I also haven't received a call...I just got an email from the student coordinator saying I was accepted. I suspect my POI will email me at some point, but everything still is pending "official" approval from the graduate school (I'm assuming funding is a part of that too). I think I'll hear more once it's "official", but just a lovely email for now (the online application status hasn't even changed yet). 

Wooo, officially rejected from Brown and UVA. Not unexpected, two very competitive schools. Plus, I am still fortunate to have been accepted into BC which, honestly, was my best fit anyways. 

Congrats to everyone with acceptances and for those without; your self worth is not tied to an admissions process.

Still waiting on UCLA...seems like official acceptations have usually gone out this week in the past...

BTW I've gotten only emails for both acceptances and rejections, no calls (but then I do live in Japan). Emails have been from various sources - department head, DGS, graduate coordinator, and generic email to check website (for both an acceptance and a rejection, so its NOT true that an email to check the website is always a rejection!)

I am not rushing into any decision but Northwestern seems like the obvious choice (it was my top choice for a reason.) But Boston College is also tempting - my POI and student contact there have been amazing. But I've also been contacted by several students, several professors, and even the department head at Northwestern which is great! Plus the funding is a lot better, POI is very well respected (but seems pretty tough!), and my cohort would be bigger. (Anyone leaning towards Northwestern as well, feel free to get in touch!)

1 hour ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I have been wondering the same thing. Someone on the results page posted that POI contacted and said official decisions will be sent out by the end of this week. If we don't hear in the next few hours, it's safe to assume we will hear tomorrow.

I've been wondering mainly because my partner hasn't heard back from them yet, and it's getting worrisome. I've already heard back a couple of weeks ago from UW's DGS. We tried to plan out our applications so there's some overlap, though thus far we've been accepted into different places and Seattle's the last chance we have of being in the same city (and the same department). And for both of us, Seattle's the best place to pursue the kind of research that we want to do. Ugh, I don't know. Does anybody have any input about what to do with long-term relationships in cases such as this? 

24 minutes ago, fencergirl said:

Still waiting on UCLA...seems like official acceptations have usually gone out this week in the past...

I wish they would notify us soon....It's especially annoying since decisions have already been made by the department. Like, just put us out of our misery, one way or another lol. 

Also @bibliomancer I feel you. I'm in a long term relationship with someone who is tied to LA for work, so there was a lot of pressure to get in somewhere nearby. I am sending you positive vibes, and hopefully your partner will hear good news from UW soon! 

Edited by anxietygirl

43 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

I wish they would notify us soon....It's especially annoying since decisions have already been made by the department. Like, just put us out of our misery, one way or another lol. 

Also @bibliomancer I feel you. I'm in a long term relationship with someone who is tied to LA for work, so there was a lot of pressure to get in somewhere nearby. I am sending you positive vibes, and hopefully your partner will hear good news from UW soon! 

Looks like there's a ucla admit on the board.. Congrats!